Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I had a great conversation with a PF employee

2»

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    To be honest, I don’t have a problem with their rules. They market to a very specific customer-base. I’m not in that demo. If you are, enjoy the discounted access to equipment, it is a good deal.

Now, if someone opened a lunk only gym for $10 a month and had 225 lbs on a squat rack by the door saying squat this to join, or walked by and said to a patron, "you’re not working hard enough, please leave..." there’d be an outrage for sure.

I'd join that gym too....
    I'm aiming to look like Emily Blunt in "Edge of Tomorrow".
    I do Stronglifts, but would love to know what program she follows...

She follows the "I have lots of money to pay for a fantastic personal trainer and chef" plan. I don't think that's covered under the $10/month PF plan.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Meh, I'm not against Smith Machines at all and actually think they get a bad rap. You can absolutely get phenomenal results from a Smith machine. Is it ideal? No, but it can work.

I have an olympic set at home for my workouts.

But people here have inquired about PF (all they can afford), and people trash talk the place, telling them they can't get a good workout there.

Really, you can get a good workout anywhere, even {gasp} on the weight machines.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don’t have a problem with their rules. They market to a very specific customer-base. I’m not in that demo. If you are, enjoy the discounted access to equipment, it is a good deal.

Now, if someone opened a lunk only gym for $10 a month and had 225 lbs on a squat rack by the door saying squat this to join, or walked by and said to a patron, "you’re not working hard enough, please leave..." there’d be an outrage for sure.

She follows the "I have lots of money to pay for a fantastic personal trainer and chef" plan. I don't think that's covered under the $10/month PF plan.

Well, she still has to work hard. Can't knock her for having money....
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member

Well, she still has to work hard. Can't knock her for having money....

I wasn't knocking her. It's part of her job to look awesome. I'm just saying having loads of money helps.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    My PF does have personal trainers (at least one)- though based on what I've SEEN.... I'm not sure its worth much. The lady who leads my zumba class (obviously not affiliated with pf) is also a personal trainer and I've seen her in sessions with clients in her own studio, and I think she pushes her clients much harder (which would be the point, afterall) that pf 'trainers'.
    Actually, the PF CEO has gone on record as saying that personal trainers are essentially useless. PF even discountinued their use a while back. Cite: http://www.truealphatraining.com/2010/12/18/planet-fitness-insults-personal-training-industry/

I'm therefore not surprised that your Zumba instructor pushes her clients harder than the PF "trainer" in question. I'd even question whether this PF trainer has any professional certifications outside of PF.

my brother (who is a certified athletic trainer and pursuing his masters degree) said ' please for the love of god do not use him- you dont know how little he knows ' LOL

and based on my observations.... id say thats accurate :/ i dont know how much people pay him, but all he does is walk them to different machines and stand there and watch them. i see no pushing or education on what the machines target or how to use them :/
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

d--a--m--n.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    The PF advertisements sound obnoxious but I've never seen them and am happy to remain oblivious.

The PF I go to seems to be better than most of the ones described here. Most of the employees are very young but in incredible shape (biceps as big as my head in some cases). The people who go there seem to fall everywhere on the fitness spectrum.

One time someone was loudly dropping weights and an employee discreetly asked him put them down more gently (which he did). It didn't seem like a big deal.

However, there are things about the gym that are irritating- like how crowded it gets at peak times, how valuable gym space is taken up with that 30 minute and 15 min circuit that nobody uses, a handful of useless machines, the scarcity of mats, the lack of stability balls and the lack of free weights beyond a few barbells. That said- it provides me with everything I really need and I have weights at home that I can use.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Naturally, I took this opportunity to explain why the Smith machine was a poor choice for strength building. I explained that it forces one's joints (shoulders, spine) to move in unnatural ways. I also said that a proper bench press (i.e. without the Smith machine) also engages the stabilizer muscles, which are critical for functional strength.

He said his goal was size, not functional strength. Maybe he already has functional strength from a physical job, sports, an active lifestyle, etc, and now just wants to get bigger. Machines are ideal for building mass, since they reduce involvement of non-target muscles, which waste energy. So machines can put more stimulus on the target muscles, which leads to greater hypertrophy.

The risk of injury is low if the machine is properly adjusted to the user (some Smith machines have angled tracks, so they're awkward for benching). If injuries were common with machines, you can be sure they wouldn't be used in large gym chains, which are a magnet for lawsuits.

If you're concerned about working the body in "unnatural ways", then stay away from the bench press. It's highly unnatural for humans to push things in a supine position, with the spine & scapula supported by a bench. Standing, unsupported exercises are more "functional", like the cable chest press, pushing a prowler, boxing, etc. There's certainly some carryover benefit of benching to real-world activities, but it's limited, since the neuromuscular demands of pushing while standing are very different.. especially when done unilaterally.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member

What's IRONIC to my is that PF is the sponsoring gym for The Biggest Loser and ALL you ever hear is grunting and groaning on the show. Lol, so would they out former contestants who have memberships and are great advertising pulls for their location, if they grunted like they do on TV?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Naturally, I took this opportunity to explain why the Smith machine was a poor choice for strength building. I explained that it forces one's joints (shoulders, spine) to move in unnatural ways. I also said that a proper bench press (i.e. without the Smith machine) also engages the stabilizer muscles, which are critical for functional strength.

He said his goal was size, not functional strength. Maybe he already has functional strength from a physical job, sports, an active lifestyle, etc, and now just wants to get bigger. Machines are ideal for building mass, since they reduce involvement of non-target muscles, which waste energy. So machines can put more stimulus on the target muscles, which leads to greater hypertrophy.

The risk of injury is low if the machine is properly adjusted to the user (some Smith machines have angled tracks, so they're awkward for benching). If injuries were common with machines, you can be sure they wouldn't be used in large gym chains, which are a magnet for lawsuits.

If you're concerned about working the body in "unnatural ways", then stay away from the bench press. It's highly unnatural for humans to push things in a supine position, with the spine & scapula supported by a bench. Standing, unsupported exercises are more "functional", like the cable chest press, pushing a prowler, boxing, etc. There's certainly some carryover benefit of benching to real-world activities, but it's limited, since the neuromuscular demands of pushing while standing are very different.. especially when done unilaterally.

This...this i agree with.