curvy women, where to buy clothes?

Options
ChiliPepperLifter
ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So as I've lost weight (5'5'', 148 lbs from 165 lbs) I've lost so much from my waist that I am now a size 4 or 6 on top and 8 or 10 on the hips! My measurements are 41 hips, 29 waist, 31 bust (on the ribcage below the bra). I'm not complaining about losing some very stubborn belly fat, but it's making any dress or skirt buying impossible. Don't even get me started on jeans too :) any store or brand suggestions? Or should I just wait until my hips finally start to catch up. I've never been so hourglassy before, but I've been weight training and it's starting to pay off.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm also a pear shape and I've got the same issue of being smaller on top, larger on the bottom. My current measurements are 35 bust / 28 waist / 38 hips, with the added challenge of being a petite 5'1". I'm wearing a size 8 pant or skirt, and a size 4 or 6 top in most brands.

I find that buying separates works better for me than buying dresses, since I can get a different size on top and on the bottom. Some brands that work well for me are Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, DKNY, Ann Taylor/Loft, Jones New York, and Mavi jeans, all in petites or short length sizes. But YMMV. Banana/Gap/Old Navy and also Mavi have "curvy" style jeans, as do some other brands like Guess.

If you're finding things that fit well everywhere but the waist, it's fairly easy to find a tailor to take the waist in a bit. The challenge I have is that I have tiny narrow shoulders, too, so if something fits around my hips it's generally too big at the shoulders, which is a giant PITA.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ariya jeans are cut with a lot more hip curve than most jeans, enough so they look kinda funny on the hanger but fit awesome if you have some booty. I buy them at Ross for cheap and just try to buy the least ridiculous looking pairs I can find. They tend to have lots of extras on the back pockets and always seem to come in fashion washes, but for $15 or less and fitting comfortably I can't complain too much.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Look for brands that are sized for a 12" difference between hip and waist measurements. I also have a 12" or so difference, and I have the best luck lately with Ann Taylor and Loft pants and jeans in their curvy fits. I think Gap's Resolution line is also sized for 12" difference, but I haven't tried those. I avoid J Crew pants because their size charts indicate a 10" difference between hips and waist, and in my experience they are often cut for even less difference than that (so more straight up and down).
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am also pear shaped, and when I had measurements similar to yours I too had good luck at LOFT. Also, choosing fabric that had a stretch seemed to fit better than others. Old navy has a curvy fit too that was decent. I also found good jeans at ROSS like the other gal mentioned. It is hit or miss there tho. I like the high waisted styles to hold in my tummy and Charlotte rouse has a skinny/jegging/jean that fits nicely too.
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm the same and I love Ann Taylor LOFT's jeans. They have a curvy fit (also sometimes called the Julie fit) that I love.
  • segacs
    Options
    Mavi's curvy jeans are called Molly (or Molly straight).

Banana Republic / Gap / Old Navy all carry a curvy fit jean too.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Ann Taylor LOFT jeans - agree with the above
    Levi's Denizen in curvy found at Target - super cheap and surprisingly nice!
    Express Editor pant in denim (not sure if this is made anymore) is my absolute favorite. I never would think of express as fitting curvys, but I buy almost all of my work pants from there and have for almost 10 years.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    Thanks guys! This is an excellent start. I really appreciate the help!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Try having 36 30 36 as measurements... I always get a muffin top because I have a large frame/waist, and everything is loose on the butt/legs. Totally sucks...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    so i mis-read the title and thought it said ...

'crazy women where to buy clothes...'

my bad.

LOLOLOLOL

meanwhile right now im a 14 on top and 18 on bottom and i wear leggings, stretch jeans and cute tops. also skirts and t's.

*kitten* it.

LMAO
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Try having 36 30 36 as measurements... I always get a muffin top because I have a large frame/waist, and everything is loose on the butt/legs. Totally sucks...

Doing sell yourself short! We got lots of weight off regardless! let's celebrate all the victories we can get ;)
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    so i mis-read the title and thought it said ...

'crazy women where to buy clothes...'

my bad.

LOLOLOLOL

meanwhile right now im a 14 on top and 18 on bottom and i wear leggings, stretch jeans and cute tops. also skirts and t's.

*kitten* it.

LMAO

Leggings are the best, for sure

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Lucky brand are what I'm currently wearing and I think I'm fairly curvy.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have the same problem...32 inch waist and 38 inch hips and relatively slim legs. I finally discovered that low rise pants really help to eliminate the muffin top. I'm not talking about the super low rise pants that show your underwear...just pants that hit an inch or two lower than "normal" pants. They hit in a smaller part of the abdomen and don't cause much of a bulge.

Also, try looking for pants in the juniors department. I recently did this for the first time ever and was absolutely amazed. They seem to be made for straighter lower bodies (small hips relative to waist) and fit really well. Maybe that could work for you as well.
  • segacs
    Options
    Leggings are the best, for sure

See, and I hate leggings and can't wait for this trend to go away.

Because I'm curvy and bigger on the bottom, leggings just do all the wrong things for me in all the wrong places. A straight leg or boot cut pant or jean works much better for me, along with a fitted jacket or blazer on top to give me more substance at the shoulders.

We're all shaped differently. Sometimes we gotta buck the trend and dress the body we have.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I have the same problem...32 inch waist and 38 inch hips and relatively slim legs. I finally discovered that low rise pants really help to eliminate the muffin top. I'm not talking about the super low rise pants that show your underwear...just pants that hit an inch or two lower than "normal" pants. They hit in a smaller part of the abdomen and don't cause much of a bulge.

Also, try looking for pants in the juniors department. I recently did this for the first time ever and was absolutely amazed. They seem to be made for straighter lower bodies (small hips relative to waist) and fit really well. Maybe that could work for you as well.

Sadly it doesn't work either, I have a lot of loose skin on my belly and it's not tucked in enough with lower rise... I had some and it was just uncomfortable. Plus I carry pretty much all my remaining fat in my hips, which doesn't help either.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get my jeans to fit my hips (39) and get the waistband taken in (26). Basically I spend a lot on alterations and if the seamstress/ tailor doesn't think something is easy to take in I return it.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Dunno your budget, or if you are in the U.S., but try eShakti. It's an online dress shop that will customize a dress to your measurements (as well as tweak length, sleeves, etc). Their shipping is glacial so expect a 2-3 week wait, but I can't recommend them enough.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    Options
    Eshakti is really great! Wow, what a site, I love the customizations
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

My natural waist is 31", my measurement acrosd my navel is 35", and my hips are 38". I have skin/belly flap issues. I have found thst the Jennifer Lopez jeans from Kohl's work really well for me. The bootcut kind have a high enough waist that nothing escapes out the top and they have just enough stretch that the butt is not too baggy. It doesn't make sense to me because I'm definitely not J Lo's shape but they're perfect.