Making Salmon More Palatable

Equus5374
Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
I would like to incorporate more fish into my diet; I pretty much like cod and haddock. I've eaten salmon but can't get past the salty ocean flavor. However, I know how healthy it is and wonder if there's a way I can prepare it that will cut down on that fishy taste.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    If you don't like it, don't eat it.

There are tons of other healthy options out there!
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Well that's the thing, perhaps I could like it if it's prepared well. I'm willing to try some recipes. I used to not like fish at all but found ways to prepare it to my liking.
  • LummiBay
    LummiBay Posts: 20 Member
    Just put a salmon fillet skin-side down on the grill topped with some garlic, salt and lots of pepper. You may want to add a bit of olive oil. Don't overcook it -- it usually just takes a few minutes depending upon the thickness of the filet. Most important, it has to be wild salmon. Don't bother with that farmed stuff -- it's not as good for our environment or for you!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    I am cooking salmon tonight. It is marinating in the following:

2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 tablespoons light olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped

2 (4 ounce) fillets salmon

I am cooking it in an oven. The salmon will be wrapped loosely (making a pocket) with the marinate and some lemon slices on the bottom and on the top.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited April 2015
    I placed a post last week on fish - how to make it less fishy. A lot of great replies....may want to read them and see if you can find what you are looking for....I know I did!!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10144168/fish-any-hope-in-making-it-less-fishy#latest

P.S. I use lime juice and lime seasoning on mine. Helps a lot!
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    ^see above.

If you really feel the need to get it into your diet anyway: broiling with a good amount of butter or mayo on top. The extra fat does something to dull the fishiness. Not exactly a low-cal option, though delicious. Removing the skin also helps.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    There are so many yummy salmon recipes. One that I like to make because it's so easy is:

1 salmon fillet
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp olive oil
    ground black pepper (to taste)
    dash cayenne pepper (to taste)

Marinate the salmon in the liquid ingredients for 30 minutes in the fridge. Then flip it over, add the black pepper and cayenne pepper, and roast covered in the oven in a foil tray for approximately 20-30 minutes, until flaky.

Delicious with steamed or roasted broccoli and some rice.

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    I started out eating salmon with a 15 marinade of garlic, lemon olive oil and herbs. Put it on a foiled pan in the oven and baked with a bit of the marinade on top. Cooked until flakes easily. That took care of the fish taste...now I like it so much I don't find it fishy.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    LummiBay wrote: »
    Just put a salmon fillet skin-side down on the grill topped with some garlic, salt and lots of pepper. You may want to add a bit of olive oil. Don't overcook it -- it usually just takes a few minutes depending upon the thickness of the filet. Most important, it has to be wild salmon. Don't bother with that farmed stuff -- it's not as good for our environment or for you!

+1

Generally we grill (indoors or out) our salmon. Season with salt, white pepper, dill. Done.

For canned salmon, sometimes we make salmon croquettes. Kind of like a personal-sized meatloaf. Add cracker or breadcrumbs, egg (beaten), paprika, diced/minced onion, salt, pepper (+/- other seasons to your liking) shape into patty and fry it up.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited April 2015
    LummiBay wrote: »

This is exactly what I did last night (minus the garlic... I'll add that next time. Thanks for the idea!! :blush: ) I actually had to see a Youtube video to know how to cook it, because I hadn't cooked fish in my life (it really helped).... and I liked it!! :yum: Oh, and I squeezed lime over the salmon once I put it on my plate.

ETA - Here's the video in case you want to watch. It starts out with some other recipe, but the salmon part starts around 2:00.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0cAFkYm3u1Q
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    heat a little bit of oil in a pan on the stove top, some salt on the skin, put salmon in skin side down till skin is crispy, turn over, when almost cooked squeeze in to the pan (not on the skin) some fresh lemon juice, delish!!! but probably not helpful if the salt is an option
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Funny because I adore salmon and I believe cod tastes nasty as hell. I feel like I'm eating straight up ammonia **shudder**
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    My absolute favourite fish is wild West Coast Sockeye Salmon. It's flesh is a deep salmon colour; firm (kinda like tuna that way) and it's just delicious. I don't like Spring salmon that much. Coho? Ok. Atlantic? Meh. Sockeye is better. I never buy farmed salmon. Sorry, salmon farmers. Good thing I'm from the West Coast!

Salmon is a fattier (but good fats) fish than say halibut; if it's fresh those fats will be flavour packed and tasty. If it isn't, you might find it finding it merely oily and fishy.

When Sockeye is in season prices drop and then I don't mind cooking it any which way; drenched in some olive oil, a little soya sauce, garlic, and grilled on the bbq? SURE. In foil with onions, squeezed lemon and dill? ABSOLUTELY.

I could go on. Can't wait until salmon season again!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    JarethG wrote: »
    eat it raw, no salty or fishy flavor.
    BOOM. Just a little wasabi.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Jealous of you west coasters who can get fresh wild salmon easily. Here it's very hard (read: mostly impossible) to find, and though I don't love the fish farming industry, that's mostly what we can get so that's mostly what I buy.

By the way, there's no such thing as wild Atlantic salmon. It's a marketing term. Atlantic salmon is all farmed. Pacific wild salmon does exist, but if you're on the eastern part of the continent, you're probably not gonna find it much.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    I never liked salmon much before until recently when I cooked it differently. so i put the filet skin side down and made a mustard brown sugar glaze!! broiled it to med/rare to med. way better that way, it was like butter in my mouth and not as fishy tasting. I'm sure any rub/sauce would taste good with it broiled med; completely changes the flavor.
    Dijon mustard
    brown sugar
    fresh black pepper
    finely grated garlic
    splash of whiskey/burbon if you have it
    broil for 12-15 min depending on thickness
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Then don't eat salmon! I dislike cod and hate haddock, but love salmon and would never try to lessen its taste.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Salmon is really expensive (at least it is in the UK). However healthy it is, it would be awful to buy and eat it while trying to disguise its flavour because you don't like it! I love it but it's a treat. Thinking of deliberately making it tasteless makes me sad!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Salmon is really expensive (at least it is in the UK). However healthy it is, it would be awful to buy and eat it while trying to disguise its flavour because you don't like it! I love it but it's a treat. Thinking of deliberately making it tasteless makes me sad!

+1

Plenty of healthy things out there, no need to shell out money for something you need to work hard to like. If you really really must have salmon, go to the other extreme: keep eating it often until you get used to the taste. The first time I tried sweetened and flavored yogurt I hated it. I was at a 30 day camp and that's all we got for dessert, so I ate it every day. Oddly enough, now I actually like it and crave it sometimes, although plain unsweetened unflavored is still my favorite.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    I can't say that I've ever noticed a "salty" flavour to salmon... but then I eat it raw (occasionally frozen when I've forgotten to take it out of the freezer...)