It's so hard

It's so hard to keep every thing even. I do really go and stay under my calorie intake but my sodium is way over or my carbs or my sugars. Fustrated!!!

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    That's what she said.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Focus only on your calorie goal. That's what I did when I first lost several years ago. My carbs were out of this world but I lost regardless as long as I hit my calorie goal. Don't overthink it. Once you are comfortable with hitting your goal, then you can expand and look at other parts. Your diary is closed so can't give advice but sodium can make you retain water which will affect your weekly losses. Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    As long as you're hitting your calorie intake (and you don't have a medical reason to watch sodium, carbs, or sugars), don't stress so much about it. I never hit exactly -- I focus on longer term trends.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    I am always over my carbs,sugars & sometimes my sodium but I dont care that much at all

focus on staying within your calorie goal
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I find the other macros are good to watch, but they're not critical. I.E. I know if I'm going high on sodium I need to drink a lot of water. If I hit high on sugars I need to dial it back (as a note, that's because I'm diabetic). They're my helpers, but like the others mentioned, the calories is most important. As time goes on, you may find what macros work best for you, but don't stress over it.
  • Oyervidez
    Oyervidez Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks guys, I have nothing to worry about with my health at the moment. I do come from a family of diabetics parents and grand parents. I need to keep my sugars in control and they aren't to bad. I just want to be able to be health. I have been doing good with the calories have had a few extra every day so far.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    *shrugs* Pick the goals that are important to you. Don't worry about hitting every mark "in the green". If you do, great. If not, are you hitting more in the green than before? Then you're ahead of the game. Sure, the more you hit, the better somebody thinks the situation is, but creating unhappiness for yourself by trying to meet broad guidelines established by a bunch of mathematicians - ask them how often they hit everything in the green.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    focus on calories first...once you have that down you can start making nutritional adjustments for your macros.

Being over on sodium is an indicator of eating processed foods...my guess is that's also probably where you're going over on carbs as well. I don't worry too much about the sugar because, unless they've changed things, that sugar amount is for added sugars...pretty much if you eat any fruit at all, you're going to go over the sugar.

Like I said, focus on the calories, and then start looking at ways to better balance out your diet. Baby steps...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Would it be easier if you prioritized? It sounds like you already are, re: staying under calorie budget. That is the most important thing. Good job on that. Opinions vary on this, but for me, the next most important thing is getting enough protein and fiber. I don't worry if I'm a little low one day if my weekly average is where it needs to be. I might adjust my food plan if saturated fat or carbs are unusually high, but again, if the weekly average is ok, I just enjoy whatever I have planned and let it even out over a couple days. I also keep an eye on magnesium, calcium and w-3, but I don't rearrange my food plan if one is low. Might take a supplement, though.

I don't look at sodium or sugar at all, although I realize many people have medical reasons for doing so. FWIW, I "go over" on sugar by eating one fruit, several vegetables and 100g yogurt daily. No "added sugar" or sweets. I go over with just plants and not a lot of dairy. Not sure how other people avoid that. Getting a lot of fiber in conjunction with sugar (natural or added) does moderate the insulin effect.

If you are consistently getting too much/little of something that is a high priority, it probably warrants reworking your normal diet. If it averages out, don't worry about it. :smiley:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Pre log
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    I don't pay any attention to macros. It's all about the calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    The thing about weight loss that almost no one wants to admit is: It's hard.
    It may sound like I'm being condescending, but I'm not.
    The fact is, if you can accept that this process is hard, and stick with it, you will have achieved a major victory.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    If it were easy...everyone would be skinny ;)

Honestly all I do is stay under my calories and try to hit a specific amount of protein (grams). I've found through trial and error what kinds of food to eat to stay full and feeling good. It actually comes in not too bad on the macros when I look at them.