What's your shoulder's routine?

Options
Today I feel like I really did work with shoulders and am finally starting to see the "cap" of my shoulders however I feel like I should have 1 or 2 more moves to make sure all three angles are hit relatively even (front,side and rear). I'm wondering what other people are doing. Please post below!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Shoulder Press - 4x5
    Arnold Press - 3x12
    Barbell Front Raise - 3x12
    Upright Row - 3x12
    Stiff Arm Lateral Raise - 3x10
    Shrugs - 3x20
    Lateral Raise - 2x15 and then 2x40 with light weights
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Standing OHP - 3x5
    Alternating front and lateral dumbell raise - 3x8
    Shrugs - 3x8
    Rear delt flys - 3x8-10
    One armed dumbell rows - 3x8
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Shoulder press
    upright rows
    cable side laterals
    cable single arm front raises
    rear delt flies (one set grip with palms facing in and one set palms facing away)
    T-bar pushes
    T-bar windmills
    cable rope face pulls
    handstand work
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do four sets of landmine presses at the end of mine, otherwise it's the same as Hornsby posted. I go for 8 reps though on some, and 12 with the lighter moves (front raise, lateral raise). When I added landmine and went heavier, my shoulders started to "pop". But that could just be me. *shrug*

Edit to add: Face pulls at eye level and rear delt flyes.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,376 Member
    Options
    I do full-body every workout, so each body part only gets 1-2 exercises typically, alternating between doing heavy one day and light the next.

Heavy shoulders:
    OHP 5x5
    BB Shrugs 3x10 superset with upright row 3x12

Light shoulders:
    One-arm alternating DB OHP 3x10
    Triset: front DB raise, side DB raise, rear DB fly, all 3x10

While not directly hitting the shoulders, I also end each workout with a stabilizer routine, whether cable external/internal rotations or a DB L-lateral raise and shoulder external rotation.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I don't really do isolation work unless I'm really trying to bring something up because I feel it's hindering performance in the main lifts. Here's what I do in the course of the week that affects the shoulder musculature. It's hard to get into the training variables I use so I'll just post the exercises.

Standing Press (2x week)
    Bench Press (1x week)

- Dips (1xweek)
    - DB Rows - These are high volume. I do them across 3 sets and I increment the weight each set, the goal is to hit 20 reps on the last set before progressing past the weight.
    - Neutral Grip Pull-Ups (2x week for over 100+ reps per week in-total)
    - Band Pull Aparts (100 / week)
    - DB Shrugs (I like the range of motion better on these, similar to a trap / hex bar).

• upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Got some research to do on some of the exercises posted but thanks for the open look. Here's mine

Warm-up
    Rotary cuff rotations (elbows at side) 10lbs 20 reps per arm
    Rotary cuff rotations (arms at shoulder height) 10lbs 20 reps per arm
    Full rotation 10 lbs 10 reps per arm

Workout
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press 5-6 x 5-8 reps
    Side lateral raises 5-6 x 5-8 reps
    Arnold press 5-6 x 5-8 reps
    Bent over lateral raises 5-6 x 5-8 reps
    Hammer Strength ISO-lateral shoulder press 5-6 x 5-8 reps
    Rear delt fly machine 5-6 x 8 reps

I took out upright rows for a bit because I got really heavy with those and felt I needed to balance out my shoulders and I would like to bring back OHP but felt the same thing and since I have lower back issues I need to definitely isolate my core and strengthen that a bit more before I bring that back. Both still work a lot of front delts so still want to get me sides and rear up more.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My experience is that shoulders take a long time to develop. It could just be me, but I'm just starting to feel good about my shoulder development and I've been hitting the gym regularly for over a year now.

Recently I have started going heavier and lower rep. I think that makes a big difference. My shoulder routine is split up and I hit shoulders at the end of leg day twice a week - Depending on whether it's Day 1 or 2 of shoulders for the week I do one of each of the following -

Standing Military Press or Seated Dumbbell Press (I'd subbed in Arnold Press in the past)
    DB Lateral Raise or Seated Bent-over Reverse Fly
    DB Shrugs or Cable Face Pulls

But, I also hit shoulders on Chest day with DB Presses or DB Incline Presses, 1-arm DB Press or 1-arm DB Incline Press, and Dips.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Any isolation work I do is to support the big three plus keep me functionally in balance. What hits delts/traps/rhombiods -
    Bench (3-4x weekly)
    Some version of ohp/push press/push jerks at least bi weekly
    Anterior/lateral/posterior raises
    Giffen shrugs
    Inverted row ISO holds
    IYTs
    Face pulls