Why do I run faster on a treadmill than outside?

Options
So about a year and half ago, I discovered that treadmill running and outdoor running was different. While I had worked myself up to a 6.3mph on a treadmill, I could barely run 3 minutes outside. I noticed these differed as far as the muscles being used. A few months ago, I revisited outdoor running and was happy to know that I had improved and could run the same two miles I was running on the treadmill- just at a slower pace. I was running more at 5.5mph for my two mile segment. I am convinced that I will increase my speed naturally and gradually but here lately, I'm much more interested in longer distances. Has any else experienced the contrast between the two? I mean, while I go much farther distances now doing intervals, is it better or just as good as cranking up the intensity for a much shorter distance? My usual last year was 2 miles per day 4 days per week as 6.3mph on a treadmill. This year, I go to the trail and do 8 miles (intervals averaging 5-5.2 mph) for 3 days per week. The good thing about the trail is it's very hilly. I have no doubt in my mind that I have improved because I am not a runner nor have a ever been a fit person so this is big for someone like me.

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier.

• bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier.
    Ok so with that being said, I'm doing better now?

• hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I can run 7 miles easy on the treadmill but have to take a walk break after 2 miles outside. I read somewhere that you should set your incline at 1% to mimic the difficulty outside, so I do that now. It's better but I still think the treadmill is easier.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    hapa11 wrote: »
    Definitely. I can run 7 miles easy on the treadmill but have to take a walk break after 2 miles outside. I read somewhere that you should set your incline at 1% to mimic the difficulty outside, so I do that now. It's better but I still think the treadmill is easier.

Ok I can see that. So in order for my to do outside what I was doing on the treadmill, more would be required.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The treadmill basically offers an "assist"...you don't get that "assist" when you're outside...it's all you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You use more muscles and you tread more carefully outdoors, as you have to watch for uneven pavement. I like outdoors running more; greater variety.

To gradually get faster, go longer at your regular pace as you are building up your cardiovascular capacity.

I still do intervals and I run three times a week with breaks in between to allow my tendons and muscles time to catch up with the changes.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The treadmill basically offers an "assist"...you don't get that "assist" when you're outside...it's all you.

This

Also, you aren't fighting wind and terrain
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I put in about 3564343743343876764 hours on the elliptical machine, so I thought I would have a pretty good jump on running outdoors.

Nope.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    Thanks guys. This helps alot. I understand and it's true- It's harder but much more enjoyable. I want to keep going because I enjoy nature and those long distances have been building my capacity. So I'll take my treadmill days as a tool used to prepare me in a sense for outdoor running. :-)
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    I put in about 3564343743343876764 hours on the elliptical machine, so I thought I would have a pretty good jump on running outdoors.

Nope.

Thats funny. Yea, outdoors is a totally different thing. I figured if I can do it on a treadmill, then surely I can handle the terrain!!! Boy I was terribly mistaking.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    To add onto it..the first 10 mins running outdoors tend to be the hardest, always. After that initial rough patch, it's smooth. I also find treadmil running to be easier but when I go outside, those 10 mins (compared to treadmil) are a lot harder but the key is not to stop and push through it and the rest of your run will be easier.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    To add onto it..the first 10 mins running outdoors tend to be the hardest, always. After that initial rough patch, it's smooth. I also find treadmil running to be easier but when I go outside, those 10 mins (compared to treadmil) are a lot harder but the key is not to stop and push through it and the rest of your run will be easier.

oh my god yes. and sometimes it's even twenty minutes if you're going for a long run.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

oh my god yes. and sometimes it's even twenty minutes if you're going for a long run.

We just had this discussion on a facebook group I'm a member of. Apparently "the first mile is a liar" for almost everyone. lol For me its miles 1 and 2 (though 2 is better than 1), and after that, I'm in the zone and in my happy place. Haven't run in a few weeks, so miles 1 and 2 are going to especially suck tomorrow.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    The belt is moving your legs along....................whether you want to or not which is why it's easier to do on a treadmill. IMO, if you want to mimic it more, move the incline to 3.5 level then run.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bnmoyler
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The belt is moving your legs along....................whether you want to or not which is why it's easier to do on a treadmill. IMO, if you want to mimic it more, move the incline to 3.5 level then run.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, I don't think I can run on a treadmill at 6.3 with a 3.5 inline lol
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

We just had this discussion on a facebook group I'm a member of. Apparently "the first mile is a liar" for almost everyone. lol For me its miles 1 and 2 (though 2 is better than 1), and after that, I'm in the zone and in my happy place. Haven't run in a few weeks, so miles 1 and 2 are going to especially suck tomorrow.

On a 8 mile day, I start feeling good after about 1.5-2 miles. If I can make it to 2, then I know I will master the 8.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill, all you have to do is make sure you pick up your feet fast enough. When running out side, you need to propel yourself forward - uses more calve action as a result.

Next time you're on the treadmill, be more aware of pushing off with your feet while running. You'll see a difference.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Okay. This is strange. I just posted the opposite! I actually run faster on the street! I feel like it is the same pace as my treadmill.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    bnmoyler wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, I don't think I can run on a treadmill at 6.3 with a 3.5 inline lol
    Oh I'm sure you could, but the duration wouldn't probably very long to start with.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png