Yoga weightloss success

Options
ebyla85
ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
anyone losing with yoga . Help please I'm new to yoga.

Replies

• chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I literally just got back from probably my 15th yoga class. I ride a road bike, go to spin classes, and do yoga, and yoga has been a great compliment to my other activities. I sweat through yoga classes (it's hard work!), and while I doubt I burn as many calories doing it versus riding/spin, it definitely helps create calories deficits that translate into weight loss.

Also, while sometimes I eat an extra 200-500 calories the days I take big bike rides, I never cheat after doing yoga :smile:.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yoga won't really aid much in weight loss. It's good for stretching and some strength (depending on what class you take), but you will just need a calorie deficit to lose weigh. Yoga doesn't burn a lot of calories. It's more like weight lifting as far as cal burn goes rather than cardio.
    However, I do yoga and enjoy it. I go to Hot Yoga 1-2 times a week.
  • friztal
    friztal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yoga builds muscle, strength, & balance and helps tone your body. Key components to great fitness. Not to mention how great it makes you feel!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There is a program called ddp yoga that will help you lose weight as I want to do it too worth looking at on youtube. Anyways yes you can lose with yoga if you do the right kind of yoga. There are many kinds! The most affective I found is kundalini yoga which tends to have a bit of cardio type moves in the dvds I got. I have tranceformers kundalini yoga and kundalini yoga with garmukh I like tha garmukh one a little better it is a giam one. Just google about losing weight with yoga it can be done!
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies !
  • ebyla85
    Options
    There is a program called ddp yoga that will help you lose weight as I want to do it too worth looking at on youtube. Anyways yes you can lose with yoga if you do the right kind of yoga. There are many kinds! The most affective I found is kundalini yoga which tends to have a bit of cardio type moves in the dvds I got. I have tranceformers kundalini yoga and kundalini yoga with garmukh I like tha garmukh one a little better it is a giam one. Just google about losing weight with yoga it can be done!
    Oh that sounds great! I would love to try it . Thank you for the info !
  • glyphhen
    glyphhen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I joined my local yoga studio around the same time as I joined MFP (early summer) and that's been my main source of exercise this whole time. I go to about 4-5 classes a week, mostly vinyasa. I've been eating at a deficit, so I can't really attribute a ton of the weight loss to yoga, but I've lost 25 pounds since New Year's.

Yoga is helpful for so much more than just weight loss, though. It's definitely increased my strength, I used to think that more than one Chaturanga Dandasana would be impossible for me, but now I can do the seven or eight Sun Salutations that begin each class and only feel like I want to die a little. My flexibility and balance are also much better these days. And it's stress relieving! Fabulous!

But in all seriousness, even if it won't melt away the pounds as quickly as some other forms of exercise, it is a fantastic activity to add to your life. I always feel better after leaving my yoga class, no matter what mood I entered the studio in.