Dealing with Emotions while Dieting?

Options
Does anyone have any tips to stop from bingeing? I always seem to indulge in things I shouldn't be eating when I'm stressed. Right now I'm going through some major emotional roller coasters. I broke up with my boyfriend recently because we have been long distance for a month, and it wasn't working. He just stopped caring, so I ended things :(. I just want to eat the whole freaking house down right now--bury my emotions in a tub of bottomless ben and jerry's.

Any tips to stop this binge from happening in the coming weeks?

Replies

• imogen11
    imogen11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear about your break up! I'm the same - I always overeat when stressed. I just had a bad weekend for it, actually. Sometimes, I think I do it as an act of self-sabotage and I don't really understand why. Running really helps to de-stress me a lot. Do you like to run at all?
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Go out with friends. Do yoga.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I find that if I'm ever stressed out I don't want to eat, I want to run. Next time you find yourself reaching for a cookie, put on some trainers and run it off. You won't want it when you're finished.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Stay busy. Workout often, go for a walk. Just keep busy and keep working out so you will have less time and less desire to binge.
  • ishangadekar
    Options
    hi !

i understand ur problem coz i hv been through this many times...
    u have to be realistic.....this sounds so plain...but lemme explain...
    things like this will happen in ur life.... there r ups and downs in life always...otherwise life wud be so boring and monotonous...

now abt u... u r stressed and ur brain wants to occupy u in the things dat wud make u happy and feel good.... remember an empty mind is a devils workshop... my advice for u wud be.... keep urself occupied... do sports...join a gym...go out with friends...read books... and when u r at home.... u want a snack... get rid of all junk food in ur house...get fruits and veggies...chicken... so when u lose control and r tooo deep into emotions u will only have healthy foods to eat at home...and even if u binge eat fruits or veggies...dey r good for u...

lastly abt ur relationship... u hv to be happy urself first... i want u to know dat u r a very special person... der will always be ppl in ur life who wont recognize dat... but dat doesnt mean u r worthless.... u hv to understand that those ppl r losing out on their lives to not hav u and dey r stupid enough to do that...in time dey realize...and if dey dont , they r idiots...

what i wanna say is... what u r as a person depends solely on u... and is not determined by someone elses behaviour.... be happy...enjoy life...go out...go shopping...movies.....games and stuff...whatever makes u happy.... and i promise u will leave the past behind and get addicted to ur promising future....

everytime u shud ask urself....what do i know....what hv i learnt...

hope this helps.... :)

Dr. Ishan