How fast do you think a very very brisk mile is?

Options
If you was walking very brisk brisk pace, how long do you think a split time would be?

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Measure and walk it? You'll know in about 15-20 minutes!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    walking, for me that would put me at 4 to 4.5 mph. After that point I begin to start jogging/running.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Here is my morning walk breakdown...I don't know if this helps you any.

Distance Pace Speed Avg. Duration Elev. gain Elev. loss
    1.00 mi 16:26 min/mi 3.65 mph 16:55 - -
    2.00 mi 16:30 min/mi 3.63 mph 33:01 - -
    3.00 mi 16:58 min/mi 3.54 mph 50:35 - -
    4.00 mi 17:11 min/mi 3.49 mph 1:07:30 - -
    5.00 mi 16:52 min/mi 3.56 mph 1:24:27 - -
    5.85 mi 15:37 min/mi 3.84 mph 1:37:16
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    The fastest I can walk briskly without breaking into a jog is about 4.0 miles per hour.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there's no 'scientific' answer, but I always figure that 'brisk' starts at about 15-minute miles, but I think there should be plenty of leeway based on variables such as stride-length.

I figure in order to be considered 'brisk' I need to get my heart rate up and push the pace beyond something that's 'comfortable' i.e. a pace I have to consciously work to maintain vs. my 'natural' pace.

Not sure that's entirely helpful, just my $0.02.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I believe the ergonomic standard for time studies has the average walk at 3 mph. If you get to 4 or 4.5 I'd think that's a good fast walk.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, today I did 5 miles with a split time of 15 min per mile. So I wasn't sure which way to go with it, because I always feel like I'm moving pretty fast. I normally run 3 miles in 30 mins, so I can't tell how fast I'm walking when I am used to running.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I went to a run calculator even though I wasn't running, my app has the split pace time on it. I plugged my weight, time, and miles and it gave me the calories based on the split pace. It seems very accurate based on my phone and the site, but I wasn't sure what you guys thought about a very very brisk pace.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there's no 'scientific' answer, but I always figure that 'brisk' starts at about 15-minute miles, but I think there should be plenty of leeway based on variables such as stride-length.

I figure in order to be considered 'brisk' I need to get my heart rate up and push the pace beyond something that's 'comfortable' i.e. a pace I have to consciously work to maintain vs. my 'natural' pace.

My stride length is pitiful because my legs are SHORT. 3.5 mph is pushing it hard for me, but that's with an incline on a treadmill. It's been a while since I've walked on the flat outside.

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on your height. 4.0 would be a run for me as I'm vertically challenged. :p
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, today I did 5 miles with a split time of 15 min per mile. So I wasn't sure which way to go with it, because I always feel like I'm moving pretty fast. I normally run 3 miles in 30 mins, so I can't tell how fast I'm walking when I am used to running.

15 minute miles = 4 mph
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    D = r x t

Solve for r.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    4.0-4.5 -- Past that, I'm jogging.

I suspect the answer has something to due with length of stride as well...
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    D = r x t

Solve for r.
    Love this! <3
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    4.0 mph for a shortie like me (5' even with socks on), I can maybe do 4.2 but I have to really focus on it.

My step mom can walk a mile in 13-14 minutes - I don't know how she does it! That's a faster pace than a lot people running!

• bennettinfinity
    Options

My stride length is pitiful because my legs are SHORT. 3.5 mph is pushing it hard for me, but that's with an incline on a treadmill. It's been a while since I've walked on the flat outside.

Yep - 4 mph can be tough for the shorties*, though to be fair there are some that put me to shame! :)

*Firm believer of dynamite coming in small packages!
  • bennettinfinity
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    D = r x t

Solve for r.

Shouldn't that be r = D / t then? ;)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    12 min. long legs.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My very brisk walks are under 15 minute miles, typically 4.0-4.5 MPH.