It's about When......not just how much

Options
2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I split my log between breakfast, dinner, supper, exercise, and snacks. You can name the five categories whatever you want, so you could list them as times if you like.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    that your body better absorbs carbs in the morning; that you should avoid carbs late at night because it'll have a propensity to turn to fat.

Now tell me how that would be. If it better absorbs carbs in the morning that means you get more of the calories in the morning than in the evening. But apparently they rather turn to fat in the evening? Even in a deficit? Even if your glycogen stores aren't full?

sorry, i don't remember the exact wording that the book i read used, just that for an endurance athlete, they should try and eat more carbs in the morning, because it'll be more readily turned into energy.

but, in the same book, they also said that the typical endurance athlete, even one that is already pretty lean, has enough glycogen stores to be able to complete a multi-hour bike ride without any fuel during said ride.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    that your body better absorbs carbs in the morning; that you should avoid carbs late at night because it'll have a propensity to turn to fat.

Now tell me how that would be. If it better absorbs carbs in the morning that means you get more of the calories in the morning than in the evening. But apparently they rather turn to fat in the evening? Even in a deficit? Even if your glycogen stores aren't full?

sorry, i don't remember the exact wording that the book i read used, just that for an endurance athlete, they should try and eat more carbs in the morning, because it'll be more readily turned into energy.

but, in the same book, they also said that the typical endurance athlete, even one that is already pretty lean, has enough glycogen stores to be able to complete a multi-hour bike ride without any fuel during said ride.
    Lots of contradictions in that book by the sounds of it which points to them not having a clue in my opinion. Professional athletes are some of the worst people for bro science. The average person has enough Glycogen for 90 minutes to 2 hours of running (not sure how that equates to cycling). As for carbs more likely to turn into fat at night that's just rubbish. The only way they're going to turn into fat is if your eating at calorie surplus. if your still in a deficit or maintaining and getting enough protein and appropriate exercise carbs are not magically going to avoid the biological process and turn to fat on a wim
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Lots of contradictions in that book by the sounds of it which points to them not having a clue in my opinion. Professional athletes are some of the worst people for bro science. The average person has enough Glycogen for 90 minutes to 2 hours of running (not sure how that equates to cycling). As for carbs more likely to turn into fat at night that's just rubbish. The only way they're going to turn into fat is if your eating at calorie surplus. if your still in a deficit or maintaining and getting enough protein and appropriate exercise carbs are not magically going to avoid the biological process and turn to fat on a wim

like i said, i don't remember all the context of the book. it's called Racing Weight, one of the bibles for an endurance athlete trying to lean out.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Since I've had my FitBit the app will ask me when I started the exercise I'm logging, in addition to how long. But...

I am not sure it matters when you eat beyond personal preference.

It cares about the time you start if your fitbit is synched with my MFP because it deducts any steps that you took during the exercise so that it won't overestimate the number of calories you burned.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't think the time matters at all.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Think of calories in terms of gasoline in a car. It doesn't matter what time you put in the gas, and it doesn't matter what time the gas is burned.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Because?
    My comment was not self evident? :flushed:

There exists some evidence that the timing and composition of meals may have an effect on weight loss. Two studies that show this are: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039128X11003515
    (A high protein and high carbogydrate breakfast may overcome the compensatory increase of hunger, increased cravings, and decreased ghrelin suppression that encourage weight regain): and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23357955 (in Spain early lunchers lost more weight than late lunchers)

There is also overwhelming evidence (both anecdotal via MFP, and personal via my own weight loss which normally includes a pretty sizable dinner) that eating less calories over a sufficiently long period of time will result in weight loss, even if you are not an early luncher who eats a high protein and high carbohydrate breakfast.

Thus, I conclude, that whatever the bleep gets you, or me, to consistently consume less calories over an appropriate period of time will result in the best weight loss outcome for you, or me!

Am I missing something here?

Obviously, as I didn't read, nor was I addressing your response.