5x5 strength lifts

julescba04
julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Im interested to hear from any one currently doing this program?) Especially women) How are you finding it?

Replies

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited May 2015
    I've did it before with the bench press at 205-215 lbs. (215 lbs being my current PR). Obviously it's best to do this with heavier weights you know as it makes no sense to bench at 135 lbs. for 5 reps each set for example....at least for me because 135 lbs. is lightweight for me now.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I liked stronglifts. I did 12 weeks and it was the first program I did as it was easy enough with just a few lifts to learn. Some lifts are easier to increase on than others. I started with just the bar for bench (some of us can't lift 135 :wink:) and it was one of the slower lifts for me, though OHP was the one to increase the least. However, squats and deadlift went up a fair amount in those 12 weeks. Starting light also helps in focusing on proper form, which is why it is often suggested for beginners.

There is also a group of women who have done and/or are still doing stronglifts here on MFP. If you look through the groups you should be able to find it.
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    I've been doing SL for a couple of months. I really like it. I've done lifting before, but I fell off the wagon for a couple of years.

I am naturally strong, but I like starting light, with just the bar, because it gives me time to get my form down to a second nature while still progresssing steadily enough to feel good about it. By the time I got to the point where the weight started feeling hard, my form was awesome so I'm not going to hurt myself.

I agree that not all of us can lift 135. I started with the bar and am up to 75 pounds now--That's starting to feel heavy, but I definitely got stronger before I got here because previously 60lbs was as much as I'd ever been able to bench.

I add cardio in on the off-days, and I'm definitely feeling the difference in my strength, even if I'm not seeing it in my weight. I can actually feel my body moving in different ways as my muscle gets stronger.

I'm gonna keep going! I'm going to try to make lifting a 3x a week habit ad infinitum.
  • cassandrag93
    cassandrag93 Posts: 825 Member
    I'm just starting, there's a group called 5x5 strong lifts for woman you should join! Very supportive :)
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited May 2015
    Strong lifts is an excellent way to get into weightlifting, especially heavy lifting. It starts you off pretty easy so you can learn the lifts and proper form. It also allows you to get into and out of the gym in a relatively short amount of time but still do a lot of work.

I'm far from "strong" by serious lifter standards, but it helped me get started and I'd suggest it to anyone looking to start any sort of heavy weight training.

The only thing I feel SL doesn't push enough is other core work. Yes, squats and dead lifts help your core, but especially as you get to heavier weights, you might find yourself failing because your core hasn't kept up with your other body parts. (Heavier weights of course being heavier for YOU, it obviously is different from person to person.)

I did 5x5 for about a year before I switched to a different program and it helped me a ton, especially in my DL & OHP.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I just started back up with Strong Lifts. I'm pretty weak so it's been a little bit of a challenge with certain lifts. I am dropping my OHP from 45 to 40 because I can never seem to hit that 5th rep. I do some light cardio twice a week in between lifts.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Definitely join the SL 5x5 for women group! I just started back up and I really like it. Slated to squat 105 tonight!
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    @ovidnine What program did you switch to?
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    I have been doing sl for a few weeks now. I must admit I have been finding it really challenging and on the ohp and bench I haven't been able to increase the weights. I train at home so I have started reading a book called starting strength which explains 4 of the lifts in detail. I have found some of the information very technical but has helped me with my form on squats. It's a lot to read so I haven't got up to the other lifts yet. Overall I think it is a very useful resource to have if you don't have access to a trainer.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I've been doing it since the end of September. It's a pretty great beginner's program. It focuses on the big lifts and gets you used to lifting heavy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    It's a good starter program. The only thing I wasn't fond of was that you have to do squats in every workout. Once my progress started to slow down significantly, I switched to 5/3/1.
  • carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    I just completed my first month of strong lifts this morning. I changed a few things though. Instead of using the bar to do the overhead press and the rows, I use dumbells. It was better for me that way. I was doing another program before that and they used the dumbells so I just continued with that. But you should definitely do the strong lifts. Just in one month my body has changed drastically.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    @keithcw_the_first I switched to 5/3/1. I like to cycle (and sometimes jog) and squatting 3x a week was just killing me.

I do the basic 5/3/1 cycle and add in a bit more accessory work for my core and my lats. I suck at pull ups and want to get where I can do the 5 sets of 10 it calls for on OHP day. I am not there yet. lol