Day 1 after 1st day with Personal Trainer...not really sore?

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I had my first meeting with a personal trainer yesterday, to get me set up to start working out.

I'm not necessarily happy with the circuit she put me on, but I'm going to try it. We did some warm ups with the medicine ball, steps for strength/warm up/balance, bends with dumbells, the only machine is the one that is a pulley system for my arms and back, one while squatting, and a hip lift with legs on a ball.

Anyway, I did exhaust my arms during the workout yesterday. I do know some of the workout is somewhat limited until my knees recover from my attempt at running a couple of weeks ago. My thighs felt the burn during some of it.

I really wish that I had gotten some 'machine' exercises. I told her that I really LIKED those machines. But I only got the pulley for the arms. I'm going to give her workout a a try.

Anyway, my POINT is (finally) that today is the day after. While my shoulders and biceps are slightly uncomfortable, I'm not SORE. My upper thighs from the positioning that I'm in during one of the pulley/arm things hurt a bit. But I'm not SORE!

I've done circuit training before, where I could FEEL it the next day. I gave 100% and then some yesterday during the almost hour workout. I felt like I was completely exhausted during the workout. It wasn't easy for me, since I am so out of shape.

I'm just disappointed. The workout wasn't what I was expecting after our first talk. And now I'm wondering....

Is this normal? Okay? Did I just stretch so fabulously good after the workout that it has lessened the pain that much? I'd never really stretched AFTER workouts until recently.

yeah yeah, I grew up in the No Pain, No Gain era. And I'm new to this...

Any help is APPRECIATED! :) Thanks!

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    From my experience, there's usually a two day "lag" before the real soreness hits. You will get somewhat sore after the first day but the second day is usually the killer. I'd expect more soreness tomorrow.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    My personal trainer set me up with a circuit about a month ago. Mostly dumb bells on the ball (which makes you engage your core muscles). She said no machines because you burn more calories while still working the muscles by having to constantly engage your core muscles and keep your form. She kept me moving and after a 1/2 hour, I was sweating a lot and tired. My muscles were VERY sore for 2 days!

Maybe you need slightly heavier weights?
  • kspeach
    Believe me, we are using the heaviest weights I can manage. Mostly did 3 sets of 12, with 30 second rest in between.

Yes, she is wanting to work my 'core'. I have no idea what that means, but it sounds good....
  • kspeach
    FYI....
    I spoke too soon.....inner thighs are sore, arms are a little worn!!
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    It sounds like it was a great workout and I think that only being a bit sore is a lot better than not being able to move for two days which is what happened to me this past week after I did a kettle bell workout. Extreme soreness really doesn't make a person want to go back for more exercise!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It may be that the trainer is taking into account your health, fitness level, workout history and what she has seen you do and starting with a program that she thinks is appropriate for your current level.

You can have trainers that err on either side of the spectrum -- there are those whose background is limited in one way and who proscribed exercises that are primarily variations of the standard "toning" exercises one does in a typical aerobics class. On the other side of the spectrum are those who feel the need to prove how "tough" they are by pushing you inappropriately from day one.

I have no idea whether this trainer did what she did because she is conscientiously trying to work you at a progressive pattern that is appropriate for you, or just someone with limited knowledge and background who isn't capable of doing any better.

What I can say is that personal training is a partnership. You should have dialog. There is nothing wrong with voicing your concerns. A good trainer will be thankful for the feedback -- it will either give them a chance to explain the overall strategy or make adjustments. If any trainer would become hurt or defensive on getting questions or negative feedback--that would be a signal to run away as fast as you can and find another trainer.

Also keep in mind that you won't see results in a day. Excessive soreness after a workout is usually not a good thing--and it certainly should NOT be the criteria for judging the quality of a workout.

The trainer works for you--there is absolutely no reason not to get an explanation in terms that you understand.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Yes, she is wanting to work my 'core'. I have no idea what that means, but it sounds good....

Your core is the band of muscles that include your abdominals, lower back and side muscles (the name of those escape me) they circle everything from your butt to just below your chest, you will feel pain, it will hurt, but once you get some strength in those muscles it will aid the rest of your body no end, your posture, balance and overall strength can improve greatly, it's one of the best sets of muscles to start off with.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Remember this was your first work out, your trainer may not be pushing you super hard initially to see how your body responds and to see what your skill level is at currently. Plus, like another poster said, I also find that it's the 2nd day is hell day, not the day immediately following. So, how are you feeling today? ;)

As for using not a lot of machines, talk to her about that if you are uncomfortable with not doing machines. Using free weights gives the trainer a chance to see which side of your body is more developed and makes you work on balance more (and some other advantages). The machines make sure you target that one (or a few) muscles without engaging more. So, there are reasons to use both types of weight routines. For example, when I started at the gym I was scared of the free weight area because I'm a pretty big girl and that's where all the buff super workout people are. I was simply embarassed to be over there; I didn't feel like I fit in. Now that I'm more comfortable I'm ok going there. But I've talked to my trainers about that. Similarly, there is one machine you will NEVER get me on (ok maybe once I'm stronger and lose a lot) and they all know to keep me far away from it, lest they want a scene in the gym. Talk with your trainer about your concerns, but also listen to the reasons why she is working you out in a particular fashion. It can be weird getting used to people's different styles of training, but she should be open to what you want to do and get out of your sessions. If she isn't consider switching to a new one. I've always felt much better after having a discussion with my trainers and asking why she is doing what she's doing.

Happy training! :)
  • crystal081
    crystal081 Posts: 12
    wait another day, Usually i'm sore 2 days after it catches up. :)
This discussion has been closed.