The odd slide...

Hi there,

I've been MFPing on and off since March and slowly and steadily lost 10lbs (of a goal loss of about 20lbs) by sticking to 1500 cals a day.

I have a question: sometimes I fall off the wagon and have something really unhealthy like a macdonalds or a few slices of pizza (what can I say, I'm only human). But I'm confused as to whether this is okay - as long as it's in my daily cal allowance. It's not every day, probably once a week.

Does the quality of the food have a huge impact on overall weightloss? I obviously know that we should stick to healthier alternatives, but is it okay to have the odd splurge as long as I don't go over 1500 that day?

Replies

• joolsweb
    joolsweb Posts: 81 Member
    Hi ya
    I've only just started back again so can't comment fully, but for me 'cheat' days help me maintain this approach to healthy lviing. Obviously you don't want the cheat meal or day to turn into more, and certainly not regularly - but as the old saying goes - a LITTLE of what you fancy. Also I believe there's a lot of people who eat 80:20, meaning they give themselves a bit of a break 20% of the time and it helps them stay on track - just keep logging it and good luck :)
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Hi ya
    I've only just started back again so can't comment fully, but for me 'cheat' days help me maintain this approach to healthy lviing. Obviously you don't want the cheat meal or day to turn into more, and certainly not regularly - but as the old saying goes - a LITTLE of what you fancy. Also I believe there's a lot of people who eat 80:20, meaning they give themselves a bit of a break 20% of the time and it helps them stay on track - just keep logging it and good luck :)

This ^^^ makes total sense to me. No matter how hard we try I believe its perfectly ok to have a treat once in a while so long as you are honest with yourself and don't let it become a habit. Easier said then done, I know, but the if it was that easy we wouldn't need resources like MFP.:ohwell:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    For obvious reasons, eating healthy alternatives is "better" for you, however, I am of the opinion (and there are many others that say the same or similar) that if you stay within your calories it's ok. I know that I have 1 day a week where I drink, but I make sure it is all in my calorie allowance.

Good luck and keep up the good work! Slow and steady is how you will keep it off :drinker:
  • free3reeder
    free3reeder Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks guys, reassuring answers. I do need the odd treat (especially in the evenings as my husband works away a lot and I have two small children) so it's good to know I can have the odd splurge as long as it's within my limits.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I would say: just eat the food you like, and fit it into your goals. If you occasionally exceed your goals, don't worry about it. It's how you eat most of the time that counts, not the odd meal here and there.

And honestly, it would probably help to stop looking at it as if you're on or off "the wagon". Try not to look at it as a temporary thing you're doing to lose the weight. Make changes that you can live with long-term. If that means going to McDonalds sometimes, then so be it. You don't have to feel guilty about it or tell yourself you're "fallen off the wagon". You're just living life. There's absolutely nothing wrong with changing your diet and, for example, reducing the amount fast food you eat, but there's also nothing wrong with continuing to eat that kind of food... in whatever amounts you are comfortable with.

Try not to view things in such black and white terms ("good" food vs "bad" food; "healthy" food vs. "unhealthy" food; "on the wagon" vs. "off the wagon"; being "good" or "cheating" etc.) Try and let go of the dieting mentality a bit. Just eat, log, meet your goals, and gradually make whatever changes you want to over time. You're likely to have more success if you still incorporate the foods you like into your diet. I've had a lot of success with MFP, and I still regularly eat chocolate (every day), pizza, cake etc, all as part of a well-balanced, nutritious diet. I don't have much fast food, because it's never really been my thing, but there are lots of people here on MFP that do, and are still successful.