PLATEAU? TRY THIS

Options
After nearly six months on MFP, my weight loss ground to a halt - as it does when the body gets used to any regime.

I decided to switch tack, and follow a two week low carbohydrate plan. I have not always hit my macros and sometimes my calories have been wayward, HOWEVER, the first week has shown at 4.9lbs loss.
I doubt this is water, in fact I know it's not, because my tight jeans have suddenly become a little looser and they haven't stretched LOL!

A few points to bear in mind tho -
1. Watch the sodium intake. High protein can carry a big increase in sodium, so up the fluid intake
2.ABSOLUTELY NO candies, cookies, or refined sugar products. Weight loss will suddenly stall in the present of these.
3.LOTS of veggies or salads to accompany your huge protein portions
4.Coconut oil is the best fat - use it liberally - it makes GREAT roasted veggies (picky husband says so!)
5.If constipation threatens, one half teaspoon of coconut oil at bedtime will do the trick, PLUS more water.
6.DO NOT weigh every day. Weigh once per seven days only.
7.Increase activity by 10%
8.Limit carbs from ANY source to 100 grams per day. Lower, if you can manage it without deprivation.
9.Pile plates with lean meats, fish, and veggies/salad. Eat until you are full, full, full then stop eating.
10.Test your blood sugar regularly if you can. Low carb can sometimes mean low energy. If you drop below 4.5 mmol re-think and add a small amount of unrefined cards (potato with skins on, whole wheat pasta or rice)

It worked for me - I will re-post after another week and see how we go.
Good luck to all the travelers on this tough journey. We will all get there!!

Here are the befores and afters - six months down the line.

suenlalatolympics_zps9748baf4.jpg

WP_20130601_001_zps005bcb58.jpg

Replies

• Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just any low carb plan?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This will not end well. :ohwell:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This will not end well. :ohwell:

Haha.

Somehow I don't think that weighing every day had any impact on your plateau ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    After nearly six months on MFP, my weight loss ground to a halt - as it does when the body gets used to any regime.

I decided to switch tack, and follow a two week low carbohydrate plan. I have not always hit my macros and sometimes my calories have been wayward, HOWEVER, the first week has shown at 4.9lbs loss.
    I doubt this is water, in fact I know it's not, because my tight jeans have suddenly become a little looser and they haven't stretched LOL!

A few points to bear in mind tho -
    1. Watch the sodium intake. High protein can carry a big increase in sodium, so up the fluid intake
    2.ABSOLUTELY NO candies, cookies, or refined sugar products. Weight loss will suddenly stall in the present of these.
    3.LOTS of veggies or salads to accompany your huge protein portions
    4.Coconut oil is the best fat - use it liberally - it makes GREAT roasted veggies (picky husband says so!)
    5.If constipation threatens, one half teaspoon of coconut oil at bedtime will do the trick, PLUS more water.
    6.DO NOT weigh every day. Weigh once per seven days only.
    7.Increase activity by 10%
    8.Limit carbs from ANY source to 100 grams per day. Lower, if you can manage it without deprivation.
    9.Pile plates with lean meats, fish, and veggies/salad. Eat until you are full, full, full then stop eating.
    10.Test your blood sugar regularly if you can. Low carb can sometimes mean low energy. If you drop below 4.5 mmol re-think and add a small amount of unrefined cards (potato with skins on, whole wheat pasta or rice)

It worked for me - I will re-post after another week and see how we go.
    Good luck to all the travelers on this tough journey. We will all get there!!

Here are the befores and afters - six months down the line.

suenlalatolympics_zps9748baf4.jpg

WP_20130601_001_zps005bcb58.jpg

Are you diabetic, gone through menopause or have any other medical conditions? If so, this make sense to why it worked for you. Most of the time, to break plateaus, you generally just need to eat at maintenance a few weeks to regulate your hormones.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

While I am happy it seemed to of worked for you and great for finding something that works for you I do not agree with the above two points.

You don't have to cut out all candy, cookies, sugar products, etc. Weight loss will not stall if you eat those things.

And for the low carb, not everyone needs low carb. You don't HAVE to go low carb to lose weight... far too often people are afraid of carbs.

Best thing for a plateau for most.... eat at your maintain calories for a week or two and than drop back down to a deficit. You need to switch things up now and again to keep losing as your body will get used to what you are doing.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    What happens when you start eating normal levels of carbohydrates again?
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I was in a plateau for 9 months. I was too afraid to up my calories, I did, and guess what.....
    It had nothing to do with cutting anything out.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I think I'll get settled in for this. Where's my popcorn?!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Meh. Calorie cycling and switching up my exercise routine worked just fine for me. That, and lots and lots of PIZZA!!!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you this but it is physically impossible to lose 4-5 pounds of fat in one week so you definitely dropped water weight. If it helps you eventually lose actual pounds and maintain that loss then yeah! But it is not a sustainable eating habit, just a quick start.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I found that simply upping my protein intake helped me bust a plateau.

I am glad your method worked for you but it is not sustainable in the long run and can therefore backfire.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I "plateaued" for about 8 months. Then I started lifting heavier and actually weighing and measuring my food, and, miraculously, I'm losing weight again. I even eat refined sugar and more than 100 g of carbs per day !!!!

It's not that complicated.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I "plateaued" for about 8 months. Then I started lifting heavier and actually weighing and measuring my food, and, miraculously, I'm losing weight again. I even eat refined sugar and more than 100 g of carbs per day !!!!

It's not that complicated.

That sounds like... math. And work.