Shift Worker's Diet??

Options
Hi, I have been a shift worker for 2 years now - 12hr shifts 4 days on 4 days off - I find it hard to maintain a meal plan and workout plan being in this cycle year round. I work out most times during my days off and log my calorie intake at the best of times. I've tried several methods to tone/lean out and limit certain foods.
Is anyone in the same boat as to getting rid of the last 5lbs of fat??
I do like to lift weights. Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey

I found the only way to make it work was to do a big shop of 'lunchbox' type food that didnt perish and just eat a lot of that on shifts on, then have cooked meals on days off.

I was ever really a breakfast person. So for lunch I'd have things like slices of ham, chunks of cooked turkey/chicken in those premade packs, with some small pieces of cheese, cheesestring babybell kinda thing. Drank tons and tons of water too. Throw in a small dish of salad if you have access somewhere to get one on your way to work or in your lunchbreak. Soreen loaf is easier to cut up and eat than making a full sarnie, those little boxes of raisins or other dried fruit are also so easy to sling in a bag. Those small packs of nuts are calorie dense but small to carry about and keep you full for hours.
    All these things are so easy to log and keep track of macros and calories. Id eat about 500cals worth of this kinda food at lunch, and 500 of something similar in the evening.

I just had no time for cooking/preparing proper meals on the shift days, on days off I would make things like chilli, homemade curry etc and really measure the amounts to keep in calorie.

Basically think of what you would put in a kids lunchbox or had yourself as a child then go looking for it at the supermarket but avoid too many packs of crisps and club bars haha

Dairlea lunchables and those dipping sticks are surprisingly nice!
  • Lil_Northern_Light
    Lil_Northern_Light Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do bring my own stuff like a large salad, no dressing if possible, some fruit and veggie, make a smoothie for breakfast and toss in fridge, tuna and eggs. I really do try to drink lots of water. I do drink a bit of coffee to stay awake and need to eat something during the wee hours in the morning to stay up. I have not used sugar in my drinks for over 15yrs, but would like to start drinking herbal teas. Is honey a good natural alternative to use other than the stevia stuff (I find it way too sweet and have a hard time drinking teas plain)?