Mother of the Bride

Options
Any Mother's of the Bride out there want to join me in mutual support and motivation. Got my MOB dress but bought it a size too small to motive me to loose weight. I've lost 15lbs already but with only 9 weeks to go until my daughters wedding its still too tight. Could really use some support, not only with the weight, but with the stress of organising a wedding.

My goals for May:

Loose 5lb
Workout at least three times a week
Try not to snap at BH coz he has no idea about wedding favours, or lace, or sequins etc, lol.
:/

Replies

• BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    MOB here! My daughter's wedding isn't until October, so I do have a bit more time than you (and probably more to lose, too, by the sound of it!). I've lost 18 since I started on March 7 and I'll be at my goal weight if I lose another 34. If I keep on track, at 1.5 pounds per week, I'll make it!

My daughter's always been very independent so I'm not getting to do as much planning as I'd hoped. Mostly she just talks with me about it, then talks to the vendors, then comes back and tells me what she's done.

Tell me about your MOB dress! I'm making mine, so won't to that until September when I'm much closer to goal weight. I'm sure I'll be completely stressed out by then! LOL.

Also, tell me how I can support you to meet your goals for May. I'm relatively new to MFP so I believe I've bookmarked this thread and will come back and check it often. :)

My goals for May:

Lose 8 pounds
    Increase the intensity of my workouts (this has been a challenge as I had total knee replacement the end of Feb)
    Figure out what I'm doing for and make the flower girl's basket and ring bearer's pillow
  • MOMfit4life
    MOMfit4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    MOB, in July! I am with you! I've set more doable goals, and don't have dress yet. 1 to 1.5 pounds a week is my goal. Lost 6 so far. Cheering for you!
  • Julieanna269
    Julieanna269 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for your support, I think I really just need a sounding board and somewhere to vent, the more I stress about the weight thing the slower it seems to be coming of. Some weeks I am super good and motivated, do all the right exercise and the weight just stays the same, argh.

Beesma, I'm making my daughters dress, and her three bridesmaids, so I have opted to buy my dress, less stress, or so I thought. It's a fitted pink lacy number and clings in all the wrong places. I must have been out of my mind to buy it but I fell in love with it and the wedding theme is lace and pearls so it was perfect. Well done for losing so much already.

It's just nice to know that I'm not alone and we are all going through the same thing.
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    MOB, in July! I am with you! I've set more doable goals, and don't have dress yet. 1 to 1.5 pounds a week is my goal. Lost 6 so far. Cheering for you!

Congrats on the 6!!
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for your support, I think I really just need a sounding board and somewhere to vent, the more I stress about the weight thing the slower it seems to be coming of. Some weeks I am super good and motivated, do all the right exercise and the weight just stays the same, argh.

Beesma, I'm making my daughters dress, and her three bridesmaids, so I have opted to buy my dress, less stress, or so I thought. It's a fitted pink lacy number and clings in all the wrong places. I must have been out of my mind to buy it but I fell in love with it and the wedding theme is lace and pearls so it was perfect. Well done for losing so much already.

It's just nice to know that I'm not alone and we are all going through the same thing.

Another seamstress! Yay! I'm making my daughter's dress, too, but I drew the line at the bridesmaids. We went to the bridal shop a couple weeks ago and now I know what she wants. I have it designed, but she's losing weight, too, so I'm not going to start working on it yet. You never know, I may be too stressed to make my own and will be scrambling at the last minute. It's not easy either because I'm 6'1", so it's not like I can just walk into a store and pull a dress off the rack! And she told me this morning she wants me to quill a bunch of flowers for her, so I'm off to the craft store after work to pick up a quiller and supplies. I figure that's something I can get done now and check it off the list!

Lace and pearls sounds lovely. We're going with a bit of a cliche: "rustic elegance." It's actually going to be really nice. Her colors are coral, pearl, and gold. Seems some charcoal grey is making it into the mix, too.

Stress is not your friend for weight loss, that's for sure! Hang in there...sometimes it takes your body a while to let go of the weight even when you're doing the right things. Sometimes I'll go a week with no loss and then the next week lose 3 pounds. It'll happen--just keep at it!

Happy to be a ventee for you. :)
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    I'm off to meet my daughter's future in-laws this afternoon. We wanted to meet previously but it never came together and then I had total knee replacement, so we're finally meeting today! I'm really excited. I drove by a nursery yesterday they had beautiful hanging flower pots, so I stopped in and got one to give them this afternoon. It'll be fun to meet the folks who gave us Kevin. We absolutely love him! :)
  • Julieanna269
    Options
    How did the meeting go. Well I hope. We get on really well with our future son-in-law, he settled into the family very well. we are very lucky. Not sure the weight loss will be great this week, we went to my husbands football club end of season dinner, I didn't eat that much but the alcohol... that's another story. All those empty calories!! I'm away next weekend as well on my daughters hen weekend/bachelorette party. I've just seen the dinner menu and it looks divine, will have to extra exercise this week to compensate. Just finishing the hem on the wedding dress then lots of hand sewing to be done, loads of sequins and pearls. Actually looking forward to this bit. Hope you had a great weekend.
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    It went great! I really like Kevin's parents. Kevin is very shy, and he was actually teasing me a bit yesterday, which was fun to see. We loved him from the moment we met him. :) His parents are very personable, and as we were sitting there chatting, I thought, "Someday I'll share grandchildren with these people and I'm really good with that."

The dinner was great, and I did well on my eating. Fortunately, they didn't serve alcohol! They loved the hanging planter, too.

I can't wait until I'm beading my girl's dress! We got beaded lace for the bodice, but it'll need more--not sparkly enough for her. LOL. I'd love to see a photo of it--will you share? We talked yesterday and we're going to go look at veils. I figure it won't matter if she loses weight and I could be working on the veil. I'm sure she'll want some beading on it, so it'll take some time.

• cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Not a MOB but a step-mother of the groom! Totally stressed! I had lost 15 pounds and I have put back on 10 of them. Wedding isn't until August so hoping I can lose the weight. You both sound like wonderful mothers, making your daughters dresses. I wasn't blessed with a daughter, but I have 4 wonderful son and a wonderful stepson. (I also have five brothers and no sisters!) So god has blessed me with many men in my life.
  • Julieanna269
    Options
    Hi Cindagrif, welcome to our mutual support group. Set your self some nice easy goals and I'm sure you will see the weight falling of again soon. Beesma, of course I will share pictures, if I can work out how to add them lol.
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    cindagrif wrote: »
    Not a MOB but a step-mother of the groom! Totally stressed! I had lost 15 pounds and I have put back on 10 of them. Wedding isn't until August so hoping I can lose the weight. You both sound like wonderful mothers, making your daughters dresses. I wasn't blessed with a daughter, but I have 4 wonderful son and a wonderful stepson. (I also have five brothers and no sisters!) So god has blessed me with many men in my life.

Welcome! We're here to help. Wow, you do have a lot of men in your life! LOL. My daughter is actually my stepdaughter though her father and I have been divorced for four years. She's 29 and when I married her father, she was 7. She was a little girl in desperate need of a mother (her biological mother has never had many parenting skills, and I'm being generous!). Emily lived with us, so I raised her from 7 until she left for college. When her father and I split, she called and said, "You realize you're stuck with me, right?" I didn't think she could say anything that would make me happier until a few weeks ago when we were talking about my role in planning her wedding and she said, "I look at it this way...she gave birth to me, but you're my Mom." Yep. I cried! I made my own wedding dress 22 years ago, and she's always said she wanted me to make hers, so here we are!

Sorry about rambling...back to the real discussion. If it would be helpful, we could all challenge each other to something like walking at least a mile a day or whatever might be helpful to you. I'm in a challenge right now to walk a mile everyday in May. So far, I've done at least two, and got on the scale this morning and am down a total of 19 pounds now! :)
    Hi Cindagrif, welcome to our mutual support group. Set your self some nice easy goals and I'm sure you will see the weight falling of again soon. Beesma, of course I will share pictures, if I can work out how to add them lol.

Thank you, Julieanna! I'll look forward to it! To add a picture you click on the icon in the toolbar that looks like a piece of paper with the upper right corner turned down. I think I'll look at some veils today. The headpiece hasn't come in yet (we had to order it from the bridal shop) so I'm trying to be patient waiting for it.

BTW, you can't tell from my username, but my name is Jayne. It's fine to call me Beesma, I don't expect you to remember that. LOL.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not a MOB (and since my daughter is only 6 right now, I better not be for a very long time, lol), but I just want to say you ladies are so cute! I can feel your excitement for your daughters and it is wonderful. Have fun at the wedding and good luck on your journey!
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    I'm not a MOB (and since my daughter is only 6 right now, I better not be for a very long time, lol), but I just want to say you ladies are so cute! I can feel your excitement for your daughters and it is wonderful. Have fun at the wedding and good luck on your journey!

I'm 6'1" so I never get called cute! How refreshing. LOL.

Thank you for your kind words. :)
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    I forgot to mention that my daughter has decided she needs a fanny pack for the money dance. She has a rather warped sense of humor. So, I need to make a fanny pack, too. She wants it to be gold and coral and I have just the shiny gold fabric for it! I'll post pics when it's done.
  • Julieanna269
    Options
    Jess thank you, like Jayne i've never been called cute, that so nice of you. Jayne, I'm in the UK so I'm not sure what a fanny pack is, we have a small bag that sits around the waist which is called a 'bum bag' so i'm guessing it would similar to that. :smile:
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    Yes, it's a bum bag. As soon as I read your first sentence, I thought, "Oh, I think they call them bum bags there." LOL. They're so incredibly out of style, but my Em thinks it would be fun, so who am I to judge, right? :) When she told me, her fiance just sat there and rolled his eyes. They're awfully cute together.

Where are you in the UK? I've been to Ireland, England, and Wales. I'm in Oregon in the U.S. A lot of people don't know where that is, but they always seem to know where California is, and we're the cooler state north of California. :)
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is the sweetest thread I've ever seen on MFP. It's nice to see you all keeping such great attitudes while dealing with pre-wedding and family-merging stress.
  • tlr526
    tlr526 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mother of the groom here...wedding is in July. I have 30 pounds to lose, but I don't expect to lose them all before the wedding. I have my gown. ..I have had it for months and I just tried it on. It fits ok. .. with the loss of a few my pounds it with fit better. It does hide my problem areas. ... my hips. I do need to tone my upper arms. .. they aren't too pretty. I will also need some sun.
    What I am dealing with is chronic fatigue and chronic widespread pain. .. as the mother of the bride and I are creating all the decor., I need to be able to stay in track.
    I am looking forward to sharing with this group. .. move to see such positives

Tamara
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    tlr526 wrote: »
    Mother of the groom here...wedding is in July. I have 30 pounds to lose, but I don't expect to lose them all before the wedding. I have my gown. ..I have had it for months and I just tried it on. It fits ok. .. with the loss of a few my pounds it with fit better. It does hide my problem areas. ... my hips. I do need to tone my upper arms. .. they aren't too pretty. I will also need some sun.
    What I am dealing with is chronic fatigue and chronic widespread pain. .. as the mother of the bride and I are creating all the decor., I need to be able to stay in track.
    I am looking forward to sharing with this group. .. move to see such positives

Tamara

Welcome! Looks like we have quite a few of us who are DIYing at least some of our kids' weddings. Would love to see pictures of anything and everything! :)
  • cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for welcoming me! I think it is wonderful that you have a step-daughter who is so accepting of you! What fun you must be having with all the wedding plans. I am sort of left out of everything. I think the fanny pack will be cute. I have never seen it at a wedding, but I have seen them dropping the money on the floor or stuffing it in there dresses. So, I think it will make the dance a little more organized.

I was thinking about the challenge to. I do already (TRY) to work out 6 days a week on my treadmill. My husband keeps telling me I need to do some weight lifting too. So maybe I will challenge myself to lift weights twice a week????

Congrats on the 19 pounds. I got on the scale this morning and I am down 8. It's a start in the right direction.