Calories in Bacon?

Options
When cooking bacon, a lot of the fat comes out and is drained off. Therefore the calorie count cannot be as high as what is listed on the package, can it? I assume the calories listed is for the product when raw?

Replies

• sbogstad
    sbogstad Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't know what MFP says, but it must be asked quiet a bit on google.

Edit: 8g slice is 44 cal baked. 43 cal, pan fried. and raw (28g) is 117
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Sacrilege. There are no calories in bacon. ;)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Sacrilege. There are no calories in bacon. ;)

^This.

IMO, all meat should be weighed raw. Cooking time and temperature varies by person, and even the same person won't cook meat the same each and every time. There is no telling how much fat vs water vs other nutrients are actually cooked down. Most meat is listed in raw weight and values. I've seen some meats listed both raw and cooked, but as to my first point, would anyone really know if their cooked meat is 100% the same nutritional value as the package, or google, states? Again, only my opinion.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I log whatever calories are labeled on the package.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I log whatever calories are labeled on the package.

That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem right.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just log what is on the package. Nearly every bacon package I've seen says "1 pan fried slice" or something to that effect. Don't fiddle around worrying about a few lost calories.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Read your label closely. Most brands give the calorie info by pan fried weight, not raw. If you're using raw weight and the label info, you're overlogging a lot of fat and calories.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I guess I haven't noticed the label specifying raw or cooked.
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I looked at a package today. It said 2 strips cooked was X calories. It wasn't as high as I thought (forgot the calorie count) so I might get some bacon after I lose a few more pounds.