I don't weight my food

Options
I started my weight loss journey 10 weeks ago. In these 10 weeks I have lost 10kg (22lbs) just as planned. However, I hardly ever weigh my food. I measure with cups, spoons and my eyeballs and each and every week I have met my target. If I am eating something I've never had before and which I find impossible to figure out I will weigh it (if I'm at home).
I sometimes wonder whether the focus on weighing your food is to big on MFP and I believe it may scare many people away because they find it too much of a hassle.

Anyone else not weigh and still see great results?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »
    I started my weight loss journey 10 weeks ago. In these 10 weeks I have lost 10kg (22lbs) just as planned. However, I hardly ever weigh my food. I measure with cups, spoons and my eyeballs and each and every week I have met my target. If I am eating something I've never had before and which I find impossible to figure out I will weigh it (if I'm at home).
    I sometimes wonder whether the focus on weighing your food is to big on MFP and I believe it may scare many people away because they find it too much of a hassle.

Eyeballing works up to a point. As soon as the weight loss slows down it becomes time to buckle down. Whatever works for people.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't think a lot of people see it as a hassle and unfortunately some people are just not good at estimating. You see a lot of threads from people saying they haven't lost any weight or they stopped losing weight and they can't figure out why.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food either and I get good results. Most of the time people are told to weigh their food when they are having problems losing. I also used MFP for quite a while before I even realized there was a forum.
  • INDF1978
    INDF1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree and think it would help to have more natural ways to measure, eg. 1/2 an avocado, 3 tablespoons of eggwhite (that one was tough to calculate an omelet) not measured through 1/2 cup or weight. If you are out and need to judge it would be great to see as some other weightloss programs have more natural approaches. i too feel like i need to buy a scale and it seems like there could be easier options.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think some people are better at eyeballing than others. And, since you're losing weight, you obviously are someone who is better at it. A lot of it I think has to do with whether you cook or not. I'm a good estimator of amounts - like you, I didn't do a whole lot of weighing at the height of my calorie counting and still lost a lot of weight - because I do a lot of cooking and baking.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have never weighed food, but I often measure (cups, tablespoons, etc.). I also eat more packaged food than others, so I have less occasion to need to measure things out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    some people don't weigh their food and have great luck.

When I first started I didn't weigh my food...I was losing too...but not as quick as I should have been.

1/2lb vs 1lb a week...I started weighing my portions bam 1lb a week...

The thing is this too since I started weighing I have gotten some nice surprises for example

I love cottage cheese on my salad and the portion is 1/2c or 125grams...125grams is a lot more than 1/2cup.

it's odd tho your diary shows portions in weight more often than not...and you log 1200 and under typically and exercise up to 300 calories a day...
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    congratulations on such an awesome loss!! ❤
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »

If you're losing as planned while logging 500 or more calories below your daily target, you are then eating more than you think.
  • jmourbina
    jmourbina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never weigh my food either and I have lost nearly 20 pounds in about 10 weeks as well. However I don't eat back my excersice calories so if I am not logging accurately I have a bit of a cushion.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When I started MyFitnessPal this time (yay second try!) I read all of the "plateau" and "Why am I not losing weight" threads and every single one of them told me to get a food scale and weigh my food. I don't think it matters so much while I'm at a one pound a week deficit, but I can see it mattering when I get down to half a pound so I figured I would get in the habit now. It's really easy and cooking doesn't take me any more time than it did before. Plus, knowing I am measuring everything as accurately as possible means I don't freak out when the scale doesn't match my expectations because I trust the math and know the scale will catch up. It's a peace of mind thing for me, and my way of feeling like I'm doing everything I can to stay on track.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and on being able to eyeball and guess your way to a slimmer you!

I, unfortunately, do not have that skill and have to weigh and measure everything. It's just habit now, and not a hassle at all.

*shrugs*
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It an work for some, but most of the posts on MFP are by people who are not losing and the reason is they cnat maintain an accurate deficit, hence the focus on weighing.
  • _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My situation is similar. I have lost 20lbs and have not once weighed my food, I seem to be doing ok. I'm still losing consistently 1lb a week, I only have a few more to go so I'm hoping it carries on :)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I think if you really have no idea about something weighing is useful. However weightloss with tediousness is pretty much going to fail unless you already have underlying OCD. Personally I like to focus on the nutrient density of my food and cut out anything that does not fit the bill. Then you don't have to worry so much about calories because it's harder to over eat nutrient dense food. Also when you cut out the sugar and junk the cravings end so I don't have to worry about counting every chip or cracker and weighing them. I don't crave them anymore.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I stink at estimating portions and to me weighing is the easier choice. Congrats on your loss, that's great.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh everything I eat either. I usually only weigh meat portions for dinner, snacks like fruit or peanuts. That's about it. After a while you just know how many calories certain foods are and you don't have to weigh as often. As others have noted, when your weight loss slows down, weighing foods can help fine tune items you may have been misjudging.
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense that weighing might become more important the closer I get to my goal weight.
  • Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh either but I also don't eat any of my exercise calories. It seems to be working just fine. I've lost 22 lbs in 14 weeks.