• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    fitmomma99 wrote: »
    I am going to be straight up here and probably get some hate mail while I am at it. I am on FS and lived for many years with the mentality that healthy is too expensive. BULL!!! If you are only buying junk with your FS or money then you are fooling yourself into thinking you are saving. A bag of apples cost less than a bag of chips and last longer. A large bag of spinach cost less than $3. A bag of peas cost less than $1.50. Chicken is .99/pound. You cannot seriously justify killing your kids with "its more affordable"! Wake up america you are killing our future! And another thing since educating myself and making better (cheaper) choices I have noticed I get full quicker and stay that way longer. I also do not use all of my fs every month. I am guilty of using them at gas stations to buy water when I am in a hurry. And no I am not proud of being on FS but I have to feed my family and at least I am not killing them slowly.
    it all depends on where you live though too what the price of things are. a bag of apples here(WV) cost more than a bag of chips,a huge bag of spinach is also more than $3 here.and chicken is more than .99 a lb(dont get me started on beef prices here).our farmers markets are far and few between I would have to travel 40 miles to get to one and thats one way. we are also limited when it comes to stores. But you can still find other healthy foods to buy.It can be done on a budget/foodstamps. I agree that we need to have classes on nutrition.