Maximum Weight Loss John Mcdougall

Options
Hi there,
Are you currently on or has anyone tried this diet? I'm vegan and this sounds like a good way to go. Lot of starches and vegetables, little oil. Let me know if you have had success.

Replies

• kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My coworker is a vegan Mcdougallite. She has maintained a ~200 pound weight loss for the better part of two decades. I personally think Dr. Mcdougall underscores protien too much and overly-vilifies fat. But I'm not going to argue with the results. Their message boards offer a lot of support.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Any diet can be effective if you eat less calories than you consume. McDougall's diet works because it's insanely restrictive and therefore you don't want to eat as much. If you're already a vegan then I guess it might not be that tough for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Any diet can be effective if you eat less calories than you consume. McDougall's diet works because it's insanely restrictive and therefore you don't want to eat as much. If you're already a vegan then I guess it might not be that tough for you.

I tried it after I was already vegan and I found the fat restriction pretty tough. But I like fatty stuff, people who aren't that into fat may find it easier.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I couldn't do it. That macro balance and I would not get along. I'd like to be able to do it. I love potatoes!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I needs the oil. I get tetchy without enough fat in my diet. As it is, my diet is pretty low fat, I have to consciously add fat to meet my goals. (Hardly ever get there, but I'm trying)
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love it! There's a little "good fat" in most grains, veggies, fruits, legumes. Those fats add up as you eat throughout the day.

If you're feeling like you "need fat," just eat some more nuts or avocados. There's tons of fat in nuts and seeds. Otherwise, for "maximum weight loss" avoid these fats until you're down to a comfortable weight.

As for oil, I have not used it in my cooking for over a year. I've been pleasantly surprised to find cooking without oil is actually easier. No more soaking and scouring the pots and pans. And I hardly use soap to clean plates anymore. I use veggie broth instead and food tastes fine. I never realized how unnecessary oil is for cooking. Just unnecessary fat calories dumped into otherwise perfectly good food.

However, it's difficult to avoid oil at restaurants. In order to have a social life, I have to suck it up sometimes and eat some oily food. And when I do, I feel full a lot faster, which is no fun because it cuts down on how much I eat (who doesn't like to prolong the pleasure of eating?)