detox

Options
im day 1 of liquid detox, and I wondered, I realise its only a short period of time that u detox for (im aiming for a week) but im exersizing and working (im a fitness instructor so constantly on the move) so wondered if im alright not getting protein for the week? I also know that the more exersize u do the quicker u detox so don't wana stop the detoxing effect by having a protein shake?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to detox? Your body naturally cleanses itself and therefore there is no need to detox. Detoxes don't do anything.

You should be eating real food.. especially if you are a fitness instructor. Your body will not get what it needs if you are not consuming food.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    im day 1 of liquid detox, and I wondered, I realise its only a short period of time that u detox for (im aiming for a week) but im exersizing and working (im a fitness instructor so constantly on the move) so wondered if im alright not getting protein for the week? I also know that the more exersize u do the quicker u detox so don't wana stop the detoxing effect by having a protein shake?

There is no "detoxifying effect" - your organs do just fine with this so long as you're otherwise healthy.

http://whatstheharm.net/detoxification.html
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    As a fitness instructor I'd think you'd be more intelligent about how your body works...

There is no good reason to "detox". As someone stated above, your body takes care of eliminating waste products just fine so long as you're reasonably healthy, which I'm guessing you are since you're a fitness instructor and currently working.

You definitely need to be eating food, period...and especially with an active job.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    You may be good at fitness, but doesn't sound like you're well versed in nutrition or physiology. If you've studied about "detoxes" you'd find that there's no peer reviewed clinical studies that support that they actually work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am all for a detox,,,, I am on day 6 of no coffee, no sugar.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I use my liver and kidneys for my detox,, and i do it everyday. Protein shakes have no negative effects.

Edited to say: Detoxes usually just cleanse your wallet.
  • susanr613
    susanr613 Posts: 22
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters that a specific "detox" or "cleanse" is not necessary. On the other hand, avoiding or going without unhealthy foods/drinks is not such a bad idea. Elimination diets are sometimes needed to weed out allergies or food intolerance such as wheat/gluten.

Just because someone is a "trainer" doesn't mean that he/she has had education in nutrition.