Options
13»

Replies

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    @DedRepublic That truly is awesome!!

Thanks bud...it really makes your week easier.

I love it when people do this type of thing. I'm so boring with my food, so these suggestions and videos are absolutely GREAT! Appreciate it very much.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I prep veggies for week, I make egg salad. Or cut up a chicken, ie, tear down rotisserie chicken, so it is ready for salads.

The bonus of veggies prep is at end of week you throw stuff in a crockpot and decide what it looks like, soup, chili, and you make a batch of that for eating, freezing.

I love this idea of prepping veggies for the week and then throwing them in the crockpot at the end of the week! Thanks, I am going to try it next week.
  • bcruz313
    Options
    Haha @DedRepublic, your freezer looks like mine! I've done this for 7 years but never splurged on a standup freezer (single mom and bought a house 3 years ago). My parents bought one for me as a christmas present last year and I think I went nuts prepping 8 weeks worth at a time for weeks!
    I honestly can't imagine how some parents can cook everyday while we need to do homework, bring the kids to extracurriculars, bathe them, etc. I make my time work for me!

Yes, Yes, and yes...you ROCK!!! Honestly people think I'm nuts...but if they only knew how lazy I am!!! Ha ha...I prep on Sundays...like even my powder meals and preworkouts in color coded shaker...so I can just grab and go. I spend ZERO time during Monday-Friday cooking. I also spend ZERO dollars buying food Mon through Friday

shaker-cups.jpg

Ha! Color coded shakes and preworkouts! Love that idea too! I have 2 teenage sons who are in sports and workout etc. too. One leaves his protein shake at school because he is too lazy and would probably forget it if he did it the night before or that morning. However, I'll bet if I had measured out powders in shaker cups lined on the counter no doubt everyone would take one in the morning. I may just try this!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @DedRepublic. Thanks for the fish prep vid.
    @11:20 et seq. "It's so much easier just to eat smarter, then it is to do all these extra workouts and kill yourself. Most people can just lose weight just eating right and walking." No truer words were ever spoken!
    Thank you for bringing it..
    Thanks to OP - nice topic.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only Blender Bottle hoarder.
  • bcruz313
    Options
    I prepped my breakfast/lunch for the week last night, thanks to this thread! Ha ha. Dinner is easy - meat and veg in a pan... I don't mind doing that when I get home. Maybe next week I will prep for dinners, too.

I'd really like to get a bunch of protein shakers, that's such a great idea!

You are doing this the right way...pick one meal at a time...then move to the next....in a month or so you'll have it all figured out.

Do you have the same thing each day?

I don't! I have so many dishes in my freezer - varieties of soups, stews, chilis, curries, beans, nuggets, meatballs, burgers, meatloaves, casseroles, stuffed peppers, burritos, etc. and they're all in individual portions (with the exception of the cauliflower/cheese sauce, marinara, BBQ, enchilada sauces) or flash frozen.

All I do is make a list of a few dishes, cook them, portion, and freeze. If you do a small load (maybe 2-3 dishes per weekend) you will build up quite a stash. I tend to cook 6-8 different dishes in a weekend, then use the following weekend to make 1-2 or just take the weekend off.

Do you date your portions? How long is too long to sit in your freezer?
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I love this thread.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I've been meal prepping the last 2 days. Not as low calorie and healthy as @DedRepublic but still nutritious meals that will feed my family for days that I need a fast supper. Better than hitting fast food!

Yesterday I made 47 cups of Spaghetti sauce, and today I made a similar volume of chili (can't measure it until I chill it and freeze it). I put it in the bottom of a freezer ziploc and fold it in half, and freeze them on cookie sheets in a single layer so they freeze like little bricks. Then when they are frozen, stack them up and away you go. When I need a quick supper, I take a ziploc out of the freezer and snap them in half and pop into a crockpot.

18 pounds of extra lean ground beef, 5 lbs of onions, 3 lbs of peppers, 2 flats of diced tomatoes, etc etc... it was a busy 2 days! And tomorrow I'm cooking a turkey, what was I thinking!? :o
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    bcruz313 wrote: »
    I prepped my breakfast/lunch for the week last night, thanks to this thread! Ha ha. Dinner is easy - meat and veg in a pan... I don't mind doing that when I get home. Maybe next week I will prep for dinners, too.

I'd really like to get a bunch of protein shakers, that's such a great idea!

You are doing this the right way...pick one meal at a time...then move to the next....in a month or so you'll have it all figured out.

Do you have the same thing each day?

I don't! I have so many dishes in my freezer - varieties of soups, stews, chilis, curries, beans, nuggets, meatballs, burgers, meatloaves, casseroles, stuffed peppers, burritos, etc. and they're all in individual portions (with the exception of the cauliflower/cheese sauce, marinara, BBQ, enchilada sauces) or flash frozen.

All I do is make a list of a few dishes, cook them, portion, and freeze. If you do a small load (maybe 2-3 dishes per weekend) you will build up quite a stash. I tend to cook 6-8 different dishes in a weekend, then use the following weekend to make 1-2 or just take the weekend off.

Do you date your portions? How long is too long to sit in your freezer?

They can sit for about 3 months. I label them with date, calorie count, and recipe name. If it's raw meat (like burgers) they can freeze for longer - 5-6 months.