Need suggestions for healthiest way to lose weight quickly!

Options
Ok, so I am starting with a disclaimer, I know that MFP die hard's are going to HATE me for this, so please only post truely useful comments, I am not happy about this either!

Here is some background, my workplace offers health screenings every year. If all of your numbers (including BMI) come back healthy you get a $150 rebate off your insurance (something that obviously is a huge help). Normally those screenings are held in September, however this year they moved it up to JULY 11! I thought I had more time, and now I am so stressed about this!! That only give me 30 days to lose 10 lbs. That is 6lbs for healthy BMI and 4 lbs for clothes (since we weigh fully clothed and they take that number)

So I need suggestions on the healthiest way any of you have lost 10 lbs in a month. Cleanses, Muscle Building excercises, MacroNutrient % goals, etc.

To be honest, I know that there is truely no really healthy way for someone who does not have a lot to lose, to lose that much weight in 30 days. Currently I am (almost) 5'1" and 138lbs and female. So PLEASE help. I would like to get this accomplished without completely ruining my matabolism, so that I can continue REAL healthy weight loss after these 30 days!

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    How I have done this at times is to set myself on a diet that would lose it over time, say 1400 calories or so, and then throw in IF days where I skipped the breakfast without making an adjustment. I also exercised (in my case running) a lot. The upside of this is that you are on a healthy diet but skipping part of it (which technically negates it, but I think/hope you understand). In other words, you make a healthy plan and then cross off a meal 3 or 4 days a week. This is not a long term solution, but may get you there.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Deja Vous, I saw an almost identical post on here some months ago right down to the reason for wanting the quick fix and no hating. when someone suggested crash diets were not a good idea the young lady who posted it got very snippy.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Eat healthy and at a calorie deficit (TDEE-20%; netting at least 1200 calories per day). Increase your protein intake--especially the lean proteins. Exercise for at least 30 minutes, 3-5 times per week. Drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake. It's possible to lose 10 lbs. in 30 days, but you'll have to work hard for it, depending on how much you have to lose (beyond the first 10 lbs).

Don't go for the pills, shakes, or gimmicks, as you'll regret it in the long run. There is no miracle weight loss plan. If you want it, you'll have to work for it and fully commit yourself to the process.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bump for later, i am interested in the responses. FYI I am lossing weight VERY slowly and not looking to crash diet, just wondering if I could make any adjustments to my own plan..........
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs in my first two weeks of following MFP and another 4 by the end of the month. I didn't crash diet, just follow the plan to a T and it is entirely possible! Good luck.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am starting with a disclaimer, I know that MFP die hard's are going to HATE me for this, so please only post truely useful comments, I am not happy about this either!

Useful? Okay. Don't crash diet. There ya go.
    To be honest, I know that there is truely no really healthy way for someone who does not have a lot to lose, to lose that much weight in 30 days.

...and that's why.

This is the typical post. A user that has been here a long time, or a very short time. Had you used this website as it was designed when you joined back in Dec. 2010, you wouldn't even be having to defend a silly request. Yeah, it's admirable that you wanna lose weight for monetary reasons, but you aren't going to get much love here. These particular posts typically get shut down because MFP doesn't advocate unsafe weight loss methods.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump to follow. I am in a diet contest- have 24 days to lose 6 lbs. Right now just sticking 100% to MFP
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    1200 calories. Workout at least 3 times a week an hour each time.

Watch your macros. Try and eat as clean as possible. Water. And pray for the best.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight loss for someone needing to lose only 10 pounds is half a pound a week. But you really only need to lose 6 pounds, and the rest is to make up what your clothes weigh.

You may be able to do it with the things people have suggested in this thread, but be prepared to put that weight right back on after you resume a more normal calorie intake. Transitioning from a crash diet to maintaining that weight is difficult.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary this may or may not help but become a sodium nazi for the next month and drink a lot of water. If your diet is high in sodium I'll bet you can get 3-4 pounds just from this.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast on the days I weigh in at the doctor's. For me it's more of a matter of wanting to weigh in under the same circumstances each time for better accuracy, but for you it could mean being a pound or two closer to your goal without hurting yourself via overly rapid weight loss.

Drink a lot of water and watch your sodium - if you take water weight and the weight of your food currently in your body out of the picture, you might only need to lose 5 lbs this month instead of 10, which would actually be much safer, more sustainable, and all-around better for you.
  • scale90
    scale90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Up the cardio and cut the junk. Also cut the white carbs.

Protein and veg heavy diet + lots of sweaty cardio + water + fibre = shredding the pounds :)

Edit: Obviously not a long term diet !
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Long walks or long easy bike rides - no heavy lifting or very strenuous exercises that will build muscle.

Since every body is different try dropping carbs. My Dad, due to his diabetes, lowered his carbs to 42g per day and the weight is just falling off.

Watch salt and sugar intake. Water - water - water - water - water - water
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Follow MFP calorie goals, exercise and eat back at least 2/3 of your calories.

Find your super-thinnest clothes for the weigh-in (weigh them on your food scale if necessary).

Make sure you use the restroom before weigh-in.

That's it.

Or you could find a new BMI chart.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Weigh in in light clothes
    eat light meals for 12 hours before the weigh in including prunes, raisins, and dried aprocots
    keep sodium in check for 72 hours before the weigh in
    void directly before the weigh in

In the future I recommend living a healthy lifestyle that you can live with, there's going to come a time when scrambling isn't going to work and you're going to have to make a decision between facing the outcome of your decisions or living with them.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Eat at a reasonable (but not too large) of a calorie deficit. Say 20% below TDEE?

Watch your sodium in the days leading up to the weigh-in, as well as anything else that you know can cause you to bloat a bit. I'd also lay off intense exercise a day or 2 before (some people report extra water retention the day after)

Lots of water and fibre.

Plus, try and make sure you go to the bathroom just before you weigh.

ETA: Lightest clothes you can find!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Weigh in in light clothes
    eat light meals for 12 hours before the weigh in including prunes, raisins, and dried aprocots
    keep sodium in check for 72 hours before the weigh in
    void directly before the weigh in

In the future I recommend living a healthy lifestyle that you can live with, there's going to come a time when scrambling isn't going to work and you're going to have to make a decision between facing the outcome of your decisions or living with them.

This. Except I will add eat high protein meals with little sodium, like plain, boring, nothing on them steamed chicken breast and broccoli.

There are lots of ways to lose 10 pounds the unhealthy way, but some border on dangerous, so I don't feel comfortable offering that advice.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Low carbing can be a quick (and often non-sustainable) fix. You will probably drop a decent amount of water weight too, which will help.

Since it's summer, find a very light weight dress and light shoes to wear on weigh-in day. Remove shoes and all jewelry if allowed. Pretty dumb that they wouldn't give you a little lee-way for clothing.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    We have the same thing where I work, only it was $300, I made it by only 1lb, lol. There are a lot of people who have to make certain weights in a short time like boxers, military, wrestlers, etc. Try to search for some of the things they do to make weight restrictions. The biggest part is to do it without causing water retention. There will be a lot of backlash for your post, but if this is just a short term scale thing and not something you're planning to continue I don't see an issue with it. You seem to know healthy is the best way. Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No offense people but everything suggested is a life changing way of doing things. She just wants to pass her scale test. There is another group who wants to do this often. Wrestlers.

In a month, we are talking all water weight.

Look into using body wraps. This is basically wrapping plastic around you to sweat out water

Drink water. lots of water!

no salt, no beer, no soda

here is a good link
    http://www.wikihow.com/Lose-Water-Weight

http://www.wikihow.com/Lose-Weight-in-Wrestling

This should get you though your weigh in. Good luck! After that time to start living better so you don't have to freak out over a weight test!
This discussion has been closed.