Do I need to give up my classes to recomp my body?

Options
Jambalady
Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
Should I give up my classes for a traditional strength training program like NROLFW or Starting Strength?

I am about 5-10 lbs from goal weight and generally happy with what I look like, but there’s a small layer of fat I want to get rid of.

Everything I read on here says heavy lifting is the way to go, but I LOVE, I mean LOVE the classes I take. But I seem to have plateaued and am wondering if it is because I am not increasing weights with what I am already doing.

So, this is a “critique” my class post, as much as a should I start heavy lifting post. Ideally, I would like to integrate my class into the workout schedule if heavy lifting is the way to go.

Here’s my general workout schedule:

Mon – TRX
Wed & Fri – “Body Sculpt”

Now, Body Sculpt is the class I love. And I definitely feel like I have gotten much stronger in. So, I guess I’m asking, do I have to give it up, if I start heavy lifting because it's not going to get me to my goal of losing fat and gaining muscle?

This is what we did in today’s class (I might have the order wrong or missed a couple of things bc it is so much packed into one hour). It is literally non-stop and I am dying at the end of class.

Equipment – Step & risers, 12 lb medicine ball, 8 lb weights
• ½ mile sprint on treadmill – warm up
• Standing ball slams on the floor (to each side) – 15 on each side
• Burpee into a rotating push-up (15)
• Back to standing ball slams (set 2)
• Burpee into a rotating push-up (set 2)
• Dumb bell squats with bicep curl (15)
• Burpee with push up into row, then tricep kick-back (15)
• Skaters (1 minute)
• Side shuffle into burpee (1 minute)
• Full sit-ups with medicine ball (20)
• Russian Twists with medicine ball (30)
• Reverse crunch
• Side crunches
- spider man pushups
• ½ mile sprint on treadmill
• Step with all risers on one side – squat with bicep curls (20), single arm rows (20 each side), ball slams standing on riser, alternating lunges holding medicine ball (15 each side)
• Ball slams against wall (20)
• Squat with back against wall holding medicine ball (1 minute)
• Inch worm into a plank (1 minute)
- tricep dips (30)
- mountain climbers (1 minute)
- step-ups (15 each side)

Wow! I never realized how much we did until I typed it out!.

So, thoughts? Can I integrate strength training into this and maybe continue to take class 1-2x a week?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sure, why not?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hollyhom wrote: »
    Should I give up my classes for a traditional strength training program like NROLFW or Starting Strength?

I am about 5-10 lbs from goal weight and generally happy with what I look like, but there’s a small layer of fat I want to get rid of.

Everything I read on here says heavy lifting is the way to go, but I LOVE, I mean LOVE the classes I take. But I seem to have plateaued and am wondering if it is because I am not increasing weights with what I am already doing.

So, this is a “critique” my class post, as much as a should I start heavy lifting post. Ideally, I would like to integrate my class into the workout schedule if heavy lifting is the way to go.

Here’s my general workout schedule:

Mon – TRX
    Wed & Fri – “Body Sculpt”

Now, Body Sculpt is the class I love. And I definitely feel like I have gotten much stronger in. So, I guess I’m asking, do I have to give it up, if I start heavy lifting because it's not going to get me to my goal of losing fat and gaining muscle?

This is what we did in today’s class (I might have the order wrong or missed a couple of things bc it is so much packed into one hour). It is literally non-stop and I am dying at the end of class.

Equipment – Step & risers, 12 lb medicine ball, 8 lb weights
    • ½ mile sprint on treadmill – warm up
    • Standing ball slams on the floor (to each side) – 15 on each side
    • Burpee into a rotating push-up (15)
    • Back to standing ball slams (set 2)
    • Burpee into a rotating push-up (set 2)
    • Dumb bell squats with bicep curl (15)
    • Burpee with push up into row, then tricep kick-back (15)
    • Skaters (1 minute)
    • Side shuffle into burpee (1 minute)
    • Full sit-ups with medicine ball (20)
    • Russian Twists with medicine ball (30)
    • Reverse crunch
    • Side crunches
    - spider man pushups
    • ½ mile sprint on treadmill
    • Step with all risers on one side – squat with bicep curls (20), single arm rows (20 each side), ball slams standing on riser, alternating lunges holding medicine ball (15 each side)
    • Ball slams against wall (20)
    • Squat with back against wall holding medicine ball (1 minute)
    • Inch worm into a plank (1 minute)
    - tricep dips (30)
    - mountain climbers (1 minute)
    - step-ups (15 each side)

Wow! I never realized how much we did until I typed it out!.

So, thoughts? Can I integrate strength training into this and maybe continue to take class 1-2x a week?

The routine that you are doing sounds essentially like a cardio workout/ high intensity circuit workout.

If you truly want to do a recomp, bulk, etc, then yes,you really should run a heavy lifting program with progressivity built into it.

It appears that you would be new to lifting, so I would recommend strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman.

You could probably still do this class like once a week as your "cardio" but it is going to be almost impossible to run this program concurrently with a heavy lifting program, as fatigue will eventually catch up to you.

Also, the amount of calories that you would have to eat to keep doing your classes and a heavy lifting program would be pretty high ....

If you have five to ten to lose. I would suggest switching to the heavy lifting program now, and keep eating in a deficit until you drop another five, and then go to maintenance and do the recomp, or you could also run a bulk/cut cycle, but that is up to you.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    so that class is pretty much pure cardio.

I would say you might have to give up SOMETHING- adding on a full 3x week program is going to suck time and energy- few people have the luxury of doing two full training programs simultaneously. And usually it's not the best route to go.

Being said you may be able to give up TRX and manage with lifting AND the body sculpt.

it doesn't have to be ALL or nothing.
    I lift 3 times a week- I try to run or do specific cardio two times a week - and I dance for upwards of 15 hours- in class or at gigs and shows. The "2 x a week cardio" is the thing that's the bottom of the list.

Classes and gigs are set times.
    I shuffle my lifts around them.

both of these things MUST happen.

Cardio happens when I can make it happen- but it's the first thing to get axed.

So- not all or nothing- just prioritize- and do the best you can. Don't beat yourself up if you miss a day- just do it the next time around. or when you can get it in there. Realize a M-W-F workout schedule (like SS/NROL) may get shuffled to M-W-S... or Sunday M- W. it happens. just roll with it.

But no need to drop something entirely- just adapt- shuffle and make do.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    because of recovery I guess. I'm trying to figure out how I would integrate it into my schedule without burning out or not allowing appropriate recovery time since most strength programs are 3 days a week
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Since all classes you are doing have also resistance training, and you love them, why change your routine? If it is because you read here a lot about lifting being the way to get the body you are looking for, lifting is great, but not the only way. Obviously not everyone who lifts has a great body and only a small percentage of people who look good are weight lifters. Not saying that resistance training is not needed, but resistance training is more than weight lifting. So, if you feel you love what you are doing, and getting stronger is nto the problem but losing the last few lbs of fat is, then work on losing the fat, not changing exercise routine.
    Now, if you feel that lifting sounds exciting, or you are bored with what you are doing, or just feel like trying something new, absolutely it is worth trying, but do your research first on what program to follow. I cannot see several times per week liftign being combined with the classes you are doing. Maybe a 2 days per week program and 1 of the classes could work, but you will need to research it a bit.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    so that class is pretty much pure cardio.

I would say you might have to give up SOMETHING- adding on a full 3x week program is going to suck time and energy- few people have the luxury of doing two full training programs simultaneously. And usually it's not the best route to go.

Being said you may be able to give up TRX and manage with lifting AND the body sculpt.

it doesn't have to be ALL or nothing.
    I lift 3 times a week- I try to run or do specific cardio two times a week - and I dance for upwards of 15 hours- in class or at gigs and shows. The "2 x a week cardio" is the thing that's the bottom of the list.

Classes and gigs are set times.
    I shuffle my lifts around them.

both of these things MUST happen.

Cardio happens when I can make it happen- but it's the first thing to get axed.

So- not all or nothing- just prioritize- and do the best you can. Don't beat yourself up if you miss a day- just do it the next time around. or when you can get it in there. Realize a M-W-F workout schedule (like SS/NROL) may get shuffled to M-W-S... or Sunday M- W. it happens. just roll with it.

But no need to drop something entirely- just adapt- shuffle and make do.

Thanks. Maybe I will try keeping one cardio sculpt class a week and see how I feel and if not too exhausted, try to throw the second one back in there and play it by ear.

I hear a lot about how heavy lifting saps everything out of you and that you need to recover.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    because of recovery I guess. I'm trying to figure out how I would integrate it into my schedule without burning out or not allowing appropriate recovery time since most strength programs are 3 days a week

If you're plateauing and it takes you no time at all to recover, what you're doing is just cardio.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Since all classes you are doing have also resistance training, and you love them, why change your routine? If it is because you read here a lot about lifting being the way to get the body you are looking for, lifting is great, but not the only way. Obviously not everyone who lifts has a great body and only a small percentage of people who look good are weight lifters. Not saying that resistance training is not needed, but resistance training is more than weight lifting. So, if you feel you love what you are doing, and getting stronger is nto the problem but losing the last few lbs of fat is, then work on losing the fat, not changing exercise routine.
    Now, if you feel that lifting sounds exciting, or you are bored with what you are doing, or just feel like trying something new, absolutely it is worth trying, but do your research first on what program to follow. I cannot see several times per week liftign being combined with the classes you are doing. Maybe a 2 days per week program and 1 of the classes could work, but you will need to research it a bit.

I guess that's the thing. I love what I am doing so I am motivated to do it. And there is some strength/resistance components, but nothing that gradually increases weight. Am I going to be able to lose the last layer of fat doing just that or do I have to go heavier?
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You could probably still do this class like once a week as your "cardio" but it is going to be almost impossible to run this program concurrently with a heavy lifting program, as fatigue will eventually catch up to you.

This is true. I've been doing similar classes at my gym along with spinning and running and I'm towards the end of the first stage of NROLFW. It's too much and the fatigue hit me last week. I'm slowing down a bit, I think you're muscles really need some rest to gain strength. I love classes too, I'm just doing less now.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

If you're plateauing and it takes you no time at all to recover, what you're doing is just cardio.

I'm plateauing in terms of changes to my body. Recovery is hit or miss. Some days I'm fine after. Others I'm definitely sore.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would not classify what OP is currently doing as "resistance training"...it is essentially 100% cardio...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I guess that's the thing. I love what I am doing so I am motivated to do it. And there is some strength/resistance components, but nothing that gradually increases weight. Am I going to be able to lose the last layer of fat doing just that or do I have to go heavier?

eating in a calorie deficit is going to make you lose fat ...

Heavy lifting will help tighten things up, make you stronger, and retain as much muscle as possible; it will help with some fat burning, but diet is going to determine how fast the last few pounds come off ...

although, there is some information that people doing a high level of cardio workouts tend to have increased cortisol levels, which tends to make people hang on to body fat for longer....

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I would not classify what OP is currently doing as "resistance training"...it is essentially 100% cardio...
    Depending on how TRX is run it falls into the resistance side of cardio- but typically anything in a class- is cardio.

I'm suspecting though she's gotten all she can out of those classes in terms of muscle development and doing real strength training is going to reshape her body in a way that will make her happy.
  • LKArgh
    edited May 2015
    Options

I am also 40, and have been exercising for more than 20 years no. While hardcore bodybuilders (and new enthusiasts - you will find many here, because of the nature of the site) will tell you you need to lift and you need to lift progressively to get the body you are looking for (and I am not sure we all looking for the same body), in my personal experience and what I have seen in friends and prefessionals, this is not true, unless you plan to become a bodybuilder, as in participate in competitions etc. In real life, people who swim, do yoga, are into martial arts etc all can have great bodies, little body fat and visible muscles. The best looking people I know (regarding body) have never lifted in their life. Probably coincidence, but it is ridiculous to believe that you need to follow a progressive lifting program to look good. Keep moving, absolutely. Have some sort of resistance training in your life, absolutely. Following a progressive weight lifting program and no other way ever existed, definitely not!
    By the way TRX is a tool used for strength training. On this site alone, I have seen TRX is considered cardio. Usually by people who never have tried it. In real life, TRX is a tool for strength training and it is ideal for progressive increase of resistance.

As for losing that last layer of fat, this will come down to what you eat. If weight lifting alone could do the trick, people in weight rooms woudl look much different than what you usually meet. Because next to the guys with the 6-pack, you will also meet lots of guys (and mostly our age or older) who can often lift impressive amounts of weight, but still have a beer belly ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am also 40, and have been exercising for more than 20 years no. While hardcore bodybuilders (and new enthusiasts - you will find many here, because of the nature of the site) will tell you you need to lift and you need to lift progressively to get the body you are looking for (and I am not sure we all looking for the same body), in my personal experience and what I have seen in friends and prefessionals, this is not true, unless you plan to become a bodybuilder, as in participate in competitions etc. In real life, people who swim, do yoga, are into martial arts etc all can have great bodies, little body fat and visible muscles. The best looking people I know (regarding body) have never lifted in their life. Probably coincidence, but it is ridiculous to believe that you need to follow a progressive lifting program to look good. Keep moving, absolutely. Have some sort of resistance training in your life, absolutely. Following a progressive weight lifting program and no other way ever existed, definitely not!
    By the way TRX is a tool used for strength training. On this site alone, I have seen TRX is considered cardio. Usually by people who never have tried it. In real life, TRX is a tool for strength training and it is ideal for progressive increase of resistance.

why are you lumping in people that like to lift with bodybuilders? I like to lift because I like being stronger, and I like how it feels. I have absolutely zero desire to be a body builder. I am sure if you asked Jo Rocka she would probably say the same thing. I also have a bunch of friends that lift and none of them have any desire to be a bodybuilder.

OP asked about heavy lifting vs her current program in relation to doing a recomp. She is going to have way more success recomping by engaging in a structured lifting program than doing a purely cardio based program.

If she likes her current classes and wants to continue doing them then that is fine; however, she should not think that she can do a purely cardio program and recomp.

• ndj1979
    Options

Depending on how TRX is run it falls into the resistance side of cardio- but typically anything in a class- is cardio.

I'm suspecting though she's gotten all she can out of those classes in terms of muscle development and doing real strength training is going to reshape her body in a way that will make her happy.

never heard of TRX ...

is it like circuit training?
  • ndj1979
    Options

never heard of TRX ...

is it like circuit training?

I just googled it ..so essentially it is pre-set workouts with suspension bands? Looks like they have some circuit training mixed in too ....
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options

Lyle McDonald wrote an article expressing the view that 1 session every 5 days might be adequate. Or people will sometimes do 1 heavy full-body session, and then 1 medium or light session within the same week. If you do active recovery between your workouts (he's got great posts about that too), foam roll, stretch, and eat enough to recover, I think you can fit it in, if it feels ok.

LM on training frequency
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-frequency-for-mass-gains.html/

LM on recovery
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/active-versus-passive-recovery.html/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/keep-the-hard-days-hard-and-the-easy-days-easy.html/

I'm 39 and have crap recovery. When I'm stretching, foam rolling, and doing light swimming, I can do 1 "heavier" and 1-2 lighter strength days, as well as biking (right after strength training, same day). Note that I am NOT doing what most people do - my "heavy" days are still pretty light compared to most people's, because I'm working around injuries and prefer higher volume. (My reasoning is that it gives me more time to sense how I'm doing, to see if form is off.) You can still get a result with higher rep ranges:

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/do-light-weights-tone-heavy-weights-bulk/

(also, I understand that that's what bikini competitors do)
  • LKArgh
    edited May 2015
    Options

why are you lumping in people that like to lift with bodybuilders? I like to lift because I like being stronger, and I like how it feels. I have absolutely zero desire to be a body builder. I am sure if you asked Jo Rocka she would probably say the same thing. I also have a bunch of friends that lift and none of them have any desire to be a bodybuilder.

OP asked about heavy lifting vs her current program in relation to doing a recomp. She is going to have way more success recomping by engaging in a structured lifting program than doing a purely cardio based program.

If she likes her current classes and wants to continue doing them then that is fine; however, she should not think that she can do a purely cardio program and recomp.

You misunderstood, or rather my fault, I did not make it clear: Weight lifting is needed absolutely (or almost) to become a bodybuilder. For the rest of us, and I am back into lifting myself after a long break, it is a hobby. It is something to do because it is interesting, not a must to be fit. There are other ways to get in shape and look good, all equally effective. If you are a hardcore bodybuilder (general you, not personally you) of course this is what you will advise others to do. For many on this site (obviously not all or even most), I suspect that weight lifting is one of the first things they tried when they decided to add exercise to their lives, they got results, so now swear by it. Truth is, that unless they have specific goals, as in finally squatting X kilos, they could have achieved their goals regarding "getting in shape" or "looking toned" etc if they had chosen tae kwon do, or swimming or playing basketball instead of lifting. So it is ridiculous to pass the message to others that "if you want a flat tummy, you need to follow a progressive weight lifting program", which is what usually happens here. The truth is "whatever exercise you think youare going to love, go for it" is a much simpler and more effective advice.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It will depend. I've done light walking with stronglifts (didn't do cardio right before lifting though) and now I do NROLFW 3 days a week and C25k training 3 days a week. I do the cardio and lifting on different days but I've also thrown in a Grit Strength class, which is cardio with light weights (I use 30 lbs on the barely any weight bar for the class) on one of the lifting days before, just in morning while I lift late at night. I don't do the class often but partly out of how much my work schedule changes. I work on my feet all shift and my schedule is not consistent as to how many hours per day and when I get a day off. However, I've managed to do jogging and lifting with 1 all rest day (well, I have work that day) and things are going good so far.

It's all in finding what works best for you and your schedule.