Cut / bulk cycles

Options
Okay so everyone knows you can't really cut and bulk at the same time and do it effectively... Recomp is a long process. So my question please is if you do want to do both, how long should your cut / bulk cycles be in order to be effective? And please don't say, cut until you have lost enough weight and then bulk, I don't want to do that, as gaining muscle is as important to me as cutting fat, I would like to cut / bulk intermittently.. Thank you in advance for any input :)

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There's no set period at all. Some people bulk for a month, some for ten years.

The only real advice I can offer is that I would avoid very short cycles. You end up sorta spinning your wheels. I would say, start with 2-3 months minimum and see how it goes. It takes a lonnnnnng time to put on any real muscle mass.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Really interested to see if anyone else responds to this. I'm no expert on this but based on what I have read and watched, there is an optimal body fat percentage to be at to gain muscle mass usually around 12-15% some extend that out to 20% (I'm personally at 18). I do know that 2-3 months is an ok start for a bulk but depending on what your goals are that just seems kind of short which in most cases it may be better to just recomp for 4 months rather than spend 3 months bulking and the 1-2 months cutting like a maniac. You also didn't indicate training volume either so it is kind of hard to answer either way. Either way I'm interested to see what other people have to say on this because I would like to see other opinions on this.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cut to desirable body weight and lean bulk IMO, I know it's not what you want to hear but that's the best way to continually getting gains. I'm cutting down to 9% at the moment and going to lean bulk after that for a very long time.

Excess calories(energy) will make you stronger sure, however it will also put on undesirable fat and then force you to cut if you want to remain aesthetic, during which you won't gain much strength/muscle if anything at all.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'd just keep an eye on your body fat percentage and how you look. Bulk until your BF% is at a certain level or you're unhappy with your aesthetics, then cut it down. Rinse and repeat.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald discusses this some and based on things we can influence on our p-ratio (Lyle explains what that is and what we can and can't influence) has some practical recommendations.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/

• mtvstaff
    mtvstaff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hmm Which one are you after, Adding muscle or losing fat? I beleive You can build muscle while maintaing a low body fat if thats what your wanting to do but the process takes longer. I tried this over a two year period with building my quads but keeping my body fat around 8-10ish percent (No cardio). Doing this I found it a much slower rate of building muscle. In saying this I found it faster sitting around 13-15% to build muscle in years past. So what I'm saying is the leaner you stay the slower the build unless someone use's drugs. This is my opinion based on what I've tried in the past. Hope that helps..
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article!
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald discusses this some and based on things we can influence on our p-ratio (Lyle explains what that is and what we can and can't influence) has some practical recommendations.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/