Help - Bland Black Bean Burgers with bad texture

Options
fishermanmatt
fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
I've been craving burgers lately and have been getting ready made black bean burgers from the freezer section. I decided to take a stab at making some from scratch at home. I thought they looked pretty good with lots of bean, corn, and onion chunks but the texture was extremely light (almost puffy) and the flavor was bland. The texture may be due to the TVP I used. It was my first time trying it. The lack of flavor and spice was surprising since there is a lot of garlic, onion, and a couple habanero peppers as well as a good amount of paprika and cumin (spices not listed in recipe below).

Anyone make a great black bean burger and can offer suggestions?

7ccc769043998ada61fa3f94d639d167_zps25f92e53.jpg

fcd6571140629bb52a8c0f9817bf13f0_zpsef1c8bff.jpg

Replies

• Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Did you soak the tvp in just plain water? If so, I would soak with a bouillon cube or something to add flavor. Tvp is extremely bland and puffy.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I actually used it dry like bread crumbs to absorb the liquid from everything else.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i don't have experience with the vegetable protein, so i'm not sure if that's what caused the texture. i'd suggest adding a couple of eggs and some Worcestershire sauce. and in my opinion, you can never have too much garlic. when i make regular burgers, i usually do like 3-4 cloves and that's with just 1lb of meat. and definitely salt and pepper.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    This is my recipe - I really like the texture from the oats. They stick together really well because you mix half in the food processor. They get a little firmer and are even grill-able if you make them ahead of time & chill for a while. Let me know if you try them!

http://hugsnquiches.blogspot.com/2013/04/red-quinoa-black-bean-burgers.html
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've never used TVP, so I'm not sure about that. But I've had good success making veggie burgers from the book "veggie burgers every which way" by Lukas Volger. This is his recipe for black bean burgers & I thought they were pretty tasty:

http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2011/03/06/black-bean-burgers/
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    i don't have experience with the vegetable protein, so i'm not sure if that's what caused the texture. i'd suggest adding a couple of eggs and some Worcestershire sauce. and in my opinion, you can never have too much garlic. when i make regular burgers, i usually do like 3-4 cloves and that's with just 1lb of meat. and definitely salt and pepper.

Worchestershire sauce should make it better! Especially since you are using it like breadcrumbs.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would go with something other than TVP like quinoa or millet. I also add something crunchy like sunflower seeds or nuts.

I use a ton of garlic, some cumin and coriander and ginger for seasoning. It's still not meat.

The bland compared to the store is likely salt content. That's a side effect to packaged foods... if you didn't salt yours you probably should
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    more garlic, and add lots of tabasco sauce.
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Try using panko and adding carrots, onions mushrooms and most importantly green chillies. Panko and vegies for texture- chillies for tatse.
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest my chickpea burgers?
    1 1/2 cup chick peas drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup coconut flour (or any flour of your choice)
    1 carrot grated
    1/3 of a bell pepper finely chopped (color of your choice)
    2 TBSP masala sauce
    1 TBSP low fat sour cream
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    1/4 tsp red chili pepper
    mash it all together and make patties

Fry in a little bit of coconut oil or olive oil. I tried to grill them, but they get too dry

Serve with steamed cauliflower in a little bit of masala sauce and a nice garden salad. I don't eat bread, so I just eat it as a patty with a little sour cream on the side.

Each patty works out to about 108 calories and fills you up
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    These black bean burgers are so good. My husband who still loves a good beef burger (kidlet and I are completely vegetarian) thinks they rock.

http://familyfriendlyveg.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/better-than-ever-black-bean-burgers/
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Black-Bean-Burgers/Detail.aspx

it has quinoa, but its a really good recipe
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've never used TVP, so I'm not sure about that. But I've had good success making veggie burgers from the book "veggie burgers every which way" by Lukas Volger. This is his recipe for black bean burgers & I thought they were pretty tasty:

http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2011/03/06/black-bean-burgers/

Thanks for the link to Lucas Volger. Much appreciated by a vegetarian :)
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Rather than using it to make burgers, I use TVP to make sloppy joes. Very quick and easy!
  • theknowerofstuff
    theknowerofstuff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    TVP is MSG under another name, I'd ax that and add some ground oatmeal
  • tjyatsko
    tjyatsko Posts: 1
    Options
    Try this:

Ingredients

1 can (15 oz) Progresso® red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup finely chopped celery
    1/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs*
    2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
    1 clove garlic minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 cup cooked brown rice
    4 whole grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
    2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
    Fresh spinach leaves, tomato slices, and/or red onion slices (optional)

Directions

Step1 In a medium bowl, coarsely mash beans with a potato masher or fork. Stir in onion, celery, bread crumbs, cilantro, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in rice.

Step2 Shape the bean mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.

Step3 Preheat a grill pan or large skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan or skillet. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through, turning patties once.

Step4 Serve burgers on buns with mayonnaise, and, if desired, spinach, tomato, and/or red onion.

Step5 *TIP: To make 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs, place 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread in a blender or food processor and blend or process into coarse crumbs

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 burger

Calories260
    Calories from Fat20

Total Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium610mg
    Total Carbohydrate51g
    Dietary Fiber10g
    Sugars6g
    Protein13g

Vitamin A4%Vitamin C8%Calcium15%Iron15%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've gotten some great advice - I'm just bumping this because I would like to come back and try a few of these recipes sometime!
  • NJnanniELB
    Options
    Just made some grilled bean burgers over the weekend for first time. I will add the link; but it was from taste of home. When I mashed the can of black beans and a can of pinto beans, it almost looked like very lean ground beef. They were easy to make and were very tasty. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grilled-bean-burgers or just google. Now I need a easy and tasty veggie burger recipe.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I really like my recipe for black bean burgers. I'm don't know what you didn't like about the texture of the burgers you made so I'm not sure how these will differ, but I think they are delicious. I think that eating it with smoked cheese (and veggie bacon if you have it) is a must. :)

veggieburger1_sm.jpg

Recipe: http://www.goudamonster.com/2012/09/veggie-burger/
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Listen when do you invite me for dinner? ahahua