Healthy eating on a ramen budget

Options
124»

Replies

• shellyamyethan
    shellyamyethan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started a garden so that I can save money by growing my own veggies, I plan to use some of them to make my own salsa and spaghetti/tomato sauces and then can them to put away for the fall and winter. I coupon a lot so that is how I can support me and my two children as Im a single mom on a tight budget also. Also utilize farmers markets, they are usually big around here in the summer.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just thought of something....if you are able to use canned veggies but don't want the sodium, rinse the veggies before you heat them! It will reduce the sodium somewhat!
  • erinleigh76
    Options
    need to read thru this :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are the best bargain in just about any store. Loaded with fiber and other nutrients, very filling and so versatile. Beans and rice, bean burritos, in salads, soups or stews. Ramen noodles aren't so bad. If mix in some frozen veggies and/or beans it can be a healthy side dish. Soups and stews are a great way to stretch a budget.

For meat, buy on sale and plan your meal around it, rather than planning a meal and buying meat to fit the recipe. Eggs are an inexpensive protein source and also very versatile. A veggie cheese omelet can be a filling healthy meal.
  • bethanylerew
    bethanylerew Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Aldi! Go there and save big time. I can usually fill a cart and get 2 weeks worth of groceries with $100. Be a little careful when buying the strawberries, though. Sometimes they can be a bit sketchy. I was completely reluctant until another frugal mom friend of mine said to just go, and I'm so glad I did.

Don't forget your quarter for the cart and your reusable shopping bags!
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live - but here the dollar stores have veggies (yes for a dollar, pre-packaged) Cabbage is relatively cheap and makes soup, cabbage rolls and salad. Check the mark- down shelves...frequently they have bananas (smoothies, muffins, puddings - use instead of sugar, "ice cream") if you have a farmers market or a veggie stand you can often find mark downs there. The biggest help $$$ wise is to cook yourself and avoid fast food
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm afraid I dont' have much of a suggestion for eating on a tight budget. Myself, I'm subsisting on food banks for the most part. The bad part about that, is that I'm getting mostly high-salt canned goods. But I'm learning a LOT from reading it.

I do have a suggestion for the other half of your problem, ie, making barely over min wage. If you live in the USA and have a Costco remotely close to you, APPLY!!! They pay an average of $17/hr and starting cashiers make an average of $12/hr. That's 3x and 2x minimum wage respectively!
    I work for Crest Fresh Market (Oklahoma grocery store). I have a radiology exam this saturday and then ill be sending my resume to dental offices. So things should be looking up soon but in the mean time im being a cheapskate! haha
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lots of fish, Talipia and whiting fish are both really cheap and low in calories. We have both of them a lot in my house.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    Theres no edit button....OK well the grocery store i work at has huge bags of veggies for .99cents.and my hubby works in the meat dept so we can get meats for a good price. i just dont know WHAT do do with it. weve been buying chicken and eating chicken daily and im getting sick of it. i bought some ground turkey a few days ago but not sure what to do with it other then burgers. hubby isnt a spaghetti person but the kids and i love it so we do that for lunches sometimes. ...idk i guess im afraid of trying new things because id hate to waste the money and food if everyone hates it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Shop at Aldi. Great fruits vegetables..lettuce.. old fashioned oats..for huge savings.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is very versatile. A lot of meats work across a variety of cuisines, depending how you cook them. Try adding cumin, chili powder and garlic for Mexican (or buy taco seasoning), oregano and basil for Italian (you can do meatball subs with pureed veggies added to marinara sauce and some cheese, since your husband isn't a noodle fan). Burgers are tasty, and you can try adding some cheese into the burger, or mixing the meat with chopped onion and some mustard before you cook it.

For the veggies, eat them steamed if you like, or try roasting them or even blending them into puree and slipping them into another sauce (like marinara). You can also make them yummier with a small sprinkle of parmesan or a teaspoon of olive oil mixed with two teaspoons of lemon juice.

I am a big fan of cookbooks. If you've got a library in your area, they have a shelf of them. Pick one up and flip through pictures until you see something appetizing. And don't worry too much about wasting food because it doesn't turn out right. My mom's rule of thumb is, if you like all the ingredients in a recipe, you'll like the end result, and if there's an ingredient you can't stand, take it out! Most of the time, no one even knows the difference.
  • oubaa
    oubaa Posts: 7
    Options
    What I've found for my family is when money is tight... I cook better. Take advantage of stores like Aldi. They have a great selection of various foods. We always get canned goods, cereal, snacks, and chips there. When I crave something they don't have, I "make it". We have cut our grocery bill by 75-100 weekly by starting there first. I don't care for the meat much, but I know several people who do.

We also use our local farmers' market for veggies. Depending on what you're after, we get corn, onions, and tomatoes for a portion of the cost.

Creativity is the key to eating on a budget!

Good luck!
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday, I read an article about a man who lost 200 pounds. He was on a very tight budget, but found he could feed himself healthily by buying most of his food at the dollar store. Also, yesterday, I read on post here on MFP about Aldi being a great place for reasonably-priced fruits and veggies.

If you're not couponing, I would say start right away. When stores run a two-for-one sale on an item, and you have coupons, you can use two and it makes HUGE savings.

Blessings to you as you get through this difficult time!

Aldis is one of the best places to get meat in my areas believe it or not - and they do have a great fruit and veggies section.