Calorie King

dramaqueen45
dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
Sometimes I found it frustrating to try to weigh and measure my food in the past, but there is an app I have discovered called Calorie King that does the work for you. On MFP it only has things listed in set amounts so if I try to log almonds it gives me choices like 1 oz, 1 cup, 28 g, 1 cup crushed, 2 oz chopped, etc, etc and me being bad at math and kind of lazy I would have to weigh the food, get out my calculator and figure out how many grams I had- but first divide the calories by the 28 g listed in MFP to get how many calories are in 1 gram and then multiply that by how many I had- it was just a lot of work for a few almonds! I even quit MFP once a couple of years ago because I found that part of it too annoying and frustrating.

So the app Calorie King- you just weigh your food and then search "almonds" and then drop down to g and then enter exactly how many grams you have and it will immediately not only give you the calories but the fat, carb, protein, etc. Wonderful! Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone else who was bogged down with the weighing and measuring and all that entails.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Uhm...

9amavRH.png
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Not everything I log has 1g option, but it seems like everything I log has the option of a 100g serving size. So...if I am only eating 15 grams, that's 0.15 servings. I have a masters degree, so I can do this math in my head.
  • dramaqueen45
    I have a master's degree too, but not in math. But yeah, I don't ever see a 100 g option on the serving size- but maybe I'm not looking. I'm just sharing a good app is all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Thats weird. Just about everything I look up goes by 100g or 50g or 150g. I'm hopeless at maths, but rounding it up or down from the above numbers is pretty straight forward
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    A lot of it depends on where you live. In some countries (Australia comes to mind) they list things on nutrition labels by 100 grams, so if you look those foods up you should find 100 grams. In the States, our nutrition labels just have the serving sizes and they don't often make sense (3.5 servings? Why??) and some of our brands aren't as well-documented in the system as others, so they don't have as many options in portion sizes. The standard ingredients, however, should...like generic almonds, eggs, etc. Try adding "USDA" after your search term if you're looking for a generic entry with options for serving size. The USDA entry nearly always has 1 gram in the drop down menu.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    I think it is very sweet of you to share. :) Thank you. I have the Calorie King Calorie Book with lists, and it is great too!
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    Ok, nice, I for one appreciate the info, as there are times that MFP doesn't have the accurate information when switching options on the drop down menu.

I may not have a master's degree... but I know how to say Thanks and move on if might benefit others.

:)

• Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Interesting that adding USDA in search will bring up one gram. I am going to try that. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yeah that's right. Every single item here in Australia has nutrients listed as per serving and also 100g.
    I still don't have trouble finding foods in the database in 100g increments. Fruit, veggies whatever.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Half the food I log doesn't have grams on mfp. Pain in the butt. Thanks!
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    You learn in primary school that 43 grams is 0.43 of 100.

But I'm in the uk where everything is given in grams too.
  • dramaqueen45
    Sometimes- like gala apple which I eat daily- has weird choices like 1 medium apple, or 140 g or 172 g, or 1 large, etc- so I cannot do that math in my head when I weigh my own apple. Calorie king does it for me and for me, the fewer steps involved the better.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    While on the website itself it's easier to find entries that have grams or mls...I've noticed on the app it's a pain in the butt to often find the official entries. Searching is WAY more fickle.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Thanks for the app suggestion.
  • mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Every item I have looked up has had the 1gram option. A lot of things I add in myself from the dietary information on the packaging if it is not listed. Even adding the 100g amounts, MFP automatically gives you the 1g option when it is saved without having to work it out.

Add item, choose serving size, add amount of grams.

How hard is that for pre-logged entries?

Opening a separate app/site to do the same then input it in to MFP is going around the houses instead of through the front door.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    err not really. The poor choices from MFP are most of the time due to incomplete/ limited entries made by users.
    Most items are entered multiple times. Shock horror people need to use some common sense and look for another entry or just use google. Ditto using fractions and decimals. That said if you cant find it, then its an opportunity for you to add to the database for the benefit of everyone and so others can use it.

The advantage of them being in MFP is that it can be selected and added directly to your log.
    Anyway ive used it before when comparing caloies to see how close their estimates were to other databases.

Someone might find it useful and its an app.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    MFP has every measurement/weight/volume/etc for everything you could ever need.
  • aubiefan122013
    aubiefan122013 Posts: 21 Member
    I second the app suggestion, I like that Calorie King doesn't try to load an internet connection when you open it (I live in the tropics and my phone is usually offline), so it's a fast way to look up food that you don't necessarily intend to log in MFP.