Need help to shred

Options
nikipb1
nikipb1 Posts: 33 Member
I'm a female, 5ft 4.6", 8 stone 6 pounds in weight but I want to shred and get a six pack. I've had a child 3 years ago and my tummy isn't flat, u know u probably still need to lose pounds in that area and that diet is 80% of it all. I'm trying low carb diet, is there anything else I should be doing food wise? I'm not sure what my calorie intake should be but I'm trying to stay around 1500

Replies

• much2keen2002
    much2keen2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but I'd limit the salt, drink lots of water, & stay busy on tightening up the abs. Drinking lots of water flushes out the salt & decreases the puffiness around the midsection. Working out the abs builds, tones, & defines the muscles while also tightening the skin around the midsection, making the abs more highlighted & defined.
  • sfelenczak
    sfelenczak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat above your calorie maintenance every 7-10 days to keep your metabolic rate from dropping and to reset leptin levels
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do low carb.... You just need to be in a deficit

Getting to a low enough bf% to have a six pack isn't easy for women... Or healthy to maintain long term. Is there a specific reason you want one?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    sfelenczak wrote: »
    Make sure to eat above your calorie maintenance every 7-10 days to keep your metabolic rate from dropping and to reset leptin levels

You don't need to do that.

Why did you just pick 1500? You're using this app...why not plug your stats in and try the number they give you?

You're 5'4" and 118 pounds, right? Doesn't seem like you need to lose weight. What about strength training in maintenance?
  • nikipb1
    Options

Getting to a low enough bf% to have a six pack isn't easy for women... Or healthy to maintain long term. Is there a specific reason you want one?

I'm 29 it's something I've always wanted, I'm a bit of a keep fit fanatic anyway and it's the type of body I've always wanted to train for.
  • nikipb1
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Why did you just pick 1500? You're using this app...why not plug your stats in and try the number they give you?

You're 5'4" and 118 pounds, right? Doesn't seem like you need to lose weight. What about strength training in maintenance?

I plugged my stats in and it asked me how many pounds I wanted to lose. I said six as I want to be 8 stone. This does not put me under weight or bmi but I know I'm carrying a little tyre round my tummy
  • arditarose
    Options
    nikipb1 wrote: »

I plugged my stats in and it asked me how many pounds I wanted to lose. I said six as I want to be 8 stone. This does not put me under weight or bmi but I know I'm carrying a little tyre round my tummy

at .5 lbs per week, right?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I'm 29 it's something I've always wanted, I'm a bit of a keep fit fanatic anyway and it's the type of body I've always wanted to train for.

You don't need to train for abs... You just need to diet!
  • nikipb1
    Options
    Lol y

Yeh it says Il b on pointo to lose six pounds by June 6
  • arditarose
    Options
    Lol y

That's 1 pound a week. I don't know why you'd want to do that with your stats.

This thread is helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you do not see your abs at this point you will have to lose whatever fat is till covering them, which means you will have to be in a deficit until your BF% is low enough to uncover them. Of course there are a lot more variables involved but first and foremost you have to lose the fat covering them.

Having said that, it doesn't matter if your eating low carb or not. What matters is the deficit.
  • nikipb1
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    If you do not see your abs at this point you will have to lose whatever fat is till covering them, which means you will have to be in a deficit until your BF% is low enough to uncover them. Of course there are a lot more variables involved but first and foremost you have to lose the fat covering them.

Having said that, it doesn't matter if your eating low carb or not. What matters is the deficit.

Ok cool that's really helpful advice, and glad I can stay on carbs because I love them. Il keep a deficit. Should I be sticking to high protein and allowing a cheat day as some say?
  • nikipb1
    Options
    Lol y

That's 1 pound a week. I don't know why you'd want to do that with your stats.

This thread is helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Thanks chick
  • nikipb1
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

A day of eating over maintenance like that does not increase or prevent your metabolism from slowing down and it also does not have an impact on Leptin as you claim.

I have been told by more than on PT that every week I should eat above maintenance to boost metabolism. Why is this not true?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

This is perfect advice right here. The only thing I would add is once you start getting fairly lean, you can't rush it or give it an exact time frame. It is hard for us women to do this. Hunger will increase so you can't go to low on your deficit and you might need more maintenance days. You have to learn to listen to your body. Too much intense cardio will drive down leptin and increase hunger. Take it nice and slow and trust if you know you are in a slight deficit over time will work - trust the process.

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the minutia of the theory regarding metabolism increases. Eating up to maintainence one day a week or slightly higher will make you FEEL better and PERFORM better and LIVE better. All that is required to lose fat is more deficit days then maintenance days over time. You want to feel as well as you can while doing that, so eating up to normal 1-2 days will do that and is sustainable. Your body is the end game - how you feel and slowing losing over time matters more than the minutia about metabolism theories (ignoring water weight fluctuations - the body weight scale is almost useless once you get leaner).
  • nikipb1
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the minutia of the theory regarding metabolism increases. Eating up to maintainence one day a week or slightly higher will make you FEEL better and PERFORM better and LIVE better. All that is required to lose fat is more deficit days then maintenance days over time. You want to feel as well as you can while doing that, so eating up to normal 1-2 days will do that and is sustainable. Your body is the end game - how you feel and slowing losing over time matters more than the minutia about metabolism theories (ignoring water weight fluctuations - the body weight scale is almost useless once you get leaner).

Thank u. I need a fitness book for dummies to understand some advice given but you have made it easier for me to understand. I am eating at a deficit and sometimes maintenance days. I definitely don't like to hear my stomach rumble and try to eat regular
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If anyone ever tells you you won't be hungry from time to time while in a deficit they are lying to you. The simple fact is you are in essence depriving your body of food, not that you are starving your body by any means, but your body is used to consuming more calories and that is exactly why it starts to store fat to begin with. While in a deficit the goal is to do everything you possibly can to maintain lean muscle tissue, lift weights, and force the body to use the stored fat for energy. Since the body does not store protein it is important to still eat enough protein to maintain lean muscle tissue while in a deficit.

As far as eating at maintenance every so often, the only thing it is going to do is maybe keep you sane by allowing you to eat a little more. The problem with this is that some people will binge because they don't have the will power not to and will end up erasing a weekly deficit in one "cheat day". As far as "resetting" or "boosting" your metabolism or whatever else they call it now, if you are doing everything right, meaning only being in a moderate deficit to begin with you don't need to do anything special to "boost" your metabolism. Having said all that it won't hurt to eat at maintenance but it isn't going to do anything "magical" to your metabolism either.