Shoe Advice

I'm looking to purchase a pair of shoes for running, and another for when I do my at-home workouts (Jillian Michaels DVDs, some HIIT). I currently have a pair of Nike Free 5.0 that I got on sale last year when I took up exercising, but I don't find them to be comfortable for anything other than walking around.

Does anyone have some suggestions on types of shoes I should try when I go shopping? Cost isn't an issue so I'm open to hearing about shoes in all price ranges.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I went to a running store and had them fit me. I already have problems with my feet, this helped me a lot. I did pay more, but for me it was worth it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I don't wear any shoes when doing at-home workouts, unless I am on the treadmill. Jillian Michaels, The Firm, and similar workouts--no shoes needed--I have carpet and rubber flooring and shoes just get in the way. For running, go get fitted at a running store. Everyone's needs are different and what works for one will not work for another. I like my Nike free shoes because they are light and flexible, but for long runs I need something more. I used to wear Mizuno Wave creation (was fitted twice professionally) but have switched to Mizuno wave inspire (light stability). I was having some knee pain with the old creations, and thought the lighter inspires with the bit of stability would be helpful. So far, so good:)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I agree with moosie: for indoors at home, I work out barefoot. If you will be in the gym or outside, go get fitted and eliminate the guesswork.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    I don't wear any shoes when doing at-home workouts, unless I am on the treadmill. Jillian Michaels, The Firm, and similar workouts--no shoes needed--I have carpet and rubber flooring and shoes just get in the way. For running, go get fitted at a running store. Everyone's needs are different and what works for one will not work for another. I like my Nike free shoes because they are light and flexible, but for long runs I need something more. I used to wear Mizuno Wave creation (was fitted twice professionally) but have switched to Mizuno wave inspire (light stability). I was having some knee pain with the old creations, and thought the lighter inspires with the bit of stability would be helpful. So far, so good:)

Thanks so much! I'll definitely go to a specialty store to get fitted.

The first time I did the 30 Day Shred I was barefoot and ended up injuring my ankle. I was told the injury was likely due to the fact that I wasn't wearing proper footwear, so despite the fact that I worked out on carpet, I assumed shoes were a must.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    For the running shoes, you should get fitted at a running store so that they can analyze your gait, etc. I'm partial to Brooks shoes for running.

I'm partial to the Reebok Nano for a general purpose training shoe.