Venting a bit :)

Options
I just wanted to vent for a second :) , and maybe some of you have had a similar experience...

I'm considered a healthy BMI for my height, age, etc, but I also gained 30 lb over the last few years (I basically went from the low end of the "normal range" to the border of the high end of "normal"). None of my clothes fit anymore, and I'm no longer happy with what I see in the mirror. Despite being in a healthy weight range, that doesn't mean I couldn't stand to lose a few pounds so I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe, ya know? However, anytime someone hears I'm trying to lose weight, they instantly get on my case about how I don't need to lose any (sometimes just being polite/complimentary, and sometimes they look appalled that I would do such a thing) or they take it as a personal attack on their own size. Sheesh! Normally I'm good about not bringing it up at all ha ha.

I mean, where do you draw the line for starting to lose weight, though? 5 lb? 20 lb? 100 lb? I wish I'd taken care of this when I only had 5 to lose! ha ha

Anyway, just wanted to vent and see if anyone else is subjected to that crap.

Replies

• sneaky_teaky
    sneaky_teaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started in the high end of healthy, instead I waited until I floated all the way up to obese before I faced reality and decided this was a problem. Now I have worked myself into the high end of overweight, my goal being the high end of healthy. Once I get there my plan is to re-evaluate to see if I should lose more. I feel that your body is your business. If you are unhappy with where you are, then by all means work towards what you want. I also feel the BMI is a guideline, not an end-all be-all. Just because it says you're still in the healthy range doesn't mean you have to accept where you are.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop talking to those people about your weight/food/diet.
    Keep it to yourself for a while.
    Good job on paying attention to your own needs and starting to lose weight. :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Stop talking to those people about your weight/food/diet.
    Keep it to yourself for a while.
    Good job on paying attention to your own needs and starting to lose weight. :)

This

You do not have to explain anything about your private life. You can just say " I have started a healthier lifestyle, not a diet". No more information is needed.
    Good luck in your healthy journey