Metatarsalgia Pain-any shoe /exercise recommendations?

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
I have pretty bad metarsalgia pain mainly on my right foot and need to find a shoe with forefoot cushioning, and motion control since I overpronate as well with flat feet.

I've only begun doing a bit of exercise and now that one foot has really flared up with pain (top and bottom of foot) I cannot think of what I can do without a lot of movement in my feet until it settles down. What do you do if you have flare ups?

Replies

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Anyone have this pain...it's hurting. Any tips?
  • kerrreee
    kerrreee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have this too. Did yours clear up? I have been seeing a physical therapist who manually releases the tissue once a week and have been sporadically icing it. I also have been abstaining from my favourite activities (running, rock climbing, soccer) and wearing sneakers all of the time. It is not getting better....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Also may have a stress fracture. Has it been x rayed?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    check with a podiatrist
    but a running store might be able to help after your cleared by a doctor. they might be able to help fit you a shoe for your needs if they watch you walk. and let them know what else you plan on doing with the shoes on-running, zumba, etc

in the meantime, rest the foot
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I had a possible stress fracture in my left metatarsal in 2014. It did not show up on an xray and even the MRI was inconclusive, but there was a lot of swelling and severe bone degradation. My podiatrist wanted to put be in a cast, but we settled on a walking boot for one month and limited use (no running!). I also iced it a lot. I was pretty much out of my normal routine for 6 weeks, but it did the trick and, though torturous at the time, worth it in the long run. Also, she recommended shoe inserts with arch supports when I run(I have very high arches). I have been using them ever since and have had no further problems.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue on and off for a couple of years. My podiatrist taped on foot pads for me to get me through the worst of it (although at my very worst, before I got in to see him, I had to resort to crutches). It took many months for it to heal and I STILL have flare ups at times. He did show me a catalogue of orthopedic shoes that might have helped a little, but fashion wise they weren't an option for me. Also he used some kind of deep tissue laser that seemed to really help the healing process. I was much improved after a few days, when I hadn't seen progress for weeks. Sadly, I've had to focus more on cycling, rowing, swimming and less on my beloved tennis or running.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I had a stress fracture in my second metatarsal in Jan 2013. I wore a boot for a few months and then went to DSW and tried on a bunch of shoes until I found a pair that had support, but was also fairly stiff and didn't flex as I walked. It wasn't until this last spring that I could do any planks or exercises that put stress on that part of my foot.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I had this for a few weeks last summer. What worked best for me was to freeze a half liter bottle of water and rolling my foot over it for a half hour, several times per day. Wear a sock so it doesn't get too cold. By rolling it you get better coverage without a constant application of ice.

I also pounded down the NSAIDs.

When I was able to get back to running I found that taking shorter strides also helped.