anyone tried palos diet?

nekiwa07
nekiwa07 Posts: 31 Member
I'm considering the paleo diet. Has anyone tried? What's your thought s?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    There's no point trying it unless it's needed for a medical issue... it won't bring any better weight loss.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Well, she can try it if she likes the food choices on it, but it's an awfully nebulous term, and the restrictions are unnecessary for weight loss.

OP, why are you considering it, and what sort of guidelines are you considering? I did paleo WAY before it hit the mainstream and way before some of the foods that paleo eaters eat now were part of the various protocols. Back then? Meat, eggs, nuts, non-starchy veggies and a grudging allowance for cold-pressed olive oil.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Are you wanting to try paleo for weight loss? I actually gained weight while trying to be 100% paleo (this was before I learned about CICO and i was probably eating 3000 calories a day)

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    I've been paleo/primal for 4 years. I love it!!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Are you interested in hipster, Whole Foods Market paleo, or real deal, going out into the bush and eating wild game paleo?
  • nekiwa07
    Well, she can try it if she likes the food choices on it, but it's an awfully nebulous term, and the restrictions are unnecessary for weight loss.

OP, why are you considering it, and what sort of guidelines are you considering? I did paleo WAY before it hit the mainstream and way before some of the foods that paleo eaters eat now were part of the various protocols. Back then? Meat, eggs, nuts, non-starchy veggies and a grudging allowance for cold-pressed olive oil.

I have hormonal issues and saw online that it helps women with PCOS and other hormonal imbalances.
  • nekiwa07
    Are you wanting to try paleo for weight loss? I actually gained weight while trying to be 100% paleo (this was before I learned about CICO and i was probably eating 3000 calories a day)

Wow! you gained. I'm trying to lose weight and build some muscle. I saw online that its suppose to help you lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    It helps you lose weight if the restrictions result in you eating fewer calories, as it does for many, but need not. (I can eat lots of calories on paleo-approved foods, and I don't overeat on grains, really, or beans.)

I did it for a little while (sort of--I only excluded dairy briefly, since I knew I wasn't lactose intolerant and feel better eating dairy) and I enjoyed it, and still do some things that paleo types also do, but eventually I asked myself what the point was of excluding beans and grains in that I don't think they are unhealthy and they clearly have no negative effect on me and I don't have much problem not overeating them. Couldn't come up with one. So I decided instead to do a meat and veggie based plan but incorporate starches (including grains and beans) and dairy as I liked, and that includes some ice cream or chocolate when I have the calories.

I do try to mostly eat from whole foods and have lots of veggies (without being a purist about it and some days doing better than others), but I don't think that's specific to paleo at all. (Most of the paleo types I currently know also do a lot of strength training or similar stuff, so they tend to use protein supplements which shows how loosely the whole "caveman" thing is defined.)

Some people with some health issues try various nutrition protocols and without knowing about your issues couldn't say if it's worth trying for that. I'd say if you are interested no harm in trying it. There are some pretty good paleo blogs with meal ideas and recipes--I tend to cook paleo compatible meals quite often even though I am not trying to be paleo anymore, and like food blogs, so I look at these sometimes.

(I do think it's weird that there seem to be widely disparate understandings of what the diet is lately, including some who deny that it has anything to do with grains and think it's just moderate/low carb or some such, but they haven't shown up on this thread yet.)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    The best "diet" is anything and everything you enjoy in moderation.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    nekiwa07 wrote: »

I have hormonal issues and saw online that it helps women with PCOS and other hormonal imbalances.

Ah, then restricting your carbs in some way is probably a good idea for you.

You might want to look in the groups section for either the paleo group or the low carber daily forum.

• blueeyedjman
    blueeyedjman Posts: 30 Member
    I've been doing it for 4 years - with the exception of a year and a half break... I'm back on it though. I originally went from 236 pounds down 187 pounds in about 9 months. My doctor was getting ready to put me on cholesterol medication because my cholesterol was so bad... among all my other blood work tests that I failed. After three months I was retested by the same Dr... my cholesterol was in the normal range, all my lipids and other blood tests were in the normal range, and my good cholesterol had improved drastically as well.

You feel 1000 times better when you're "eating clean" as they call it... like I said I lost 49 pounds... My skin improved... My neighbor actually commented that it looked like I'd been drinking from the fountain of youth.

I don't follow every rule hundred percent of the time... I noticed one guys comment said that we would never eat 100% like our ancestors did... But those are not the rules to do the diet... Delete sugar wheat grains corn legumes from your diet . . . These are the things that will cause inflammation in your body. I EAT dairy occasionally but the main things that I eat CONSIST of good meats and oils, fresh vegetables, occasional fruits, and nuts & seeds.

Give it a go... It is wonderful.

thewhole30.com

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/08/06/paleo-diet/
  • blueeyedjman
    blueeyedjman Posts: 30 Member

Wow! you gained. I'm trying to lose weight and build some muscle. I saw online that its suppose to help you lose weight.

It does... I'm a living example.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    I've been doing it for 4 years - with the exception of a year and a half break... I'm back on it though. I originally went from 236 pounds down 187 pounds in about 9 months. My doctor was getting ready to put me on cholesterol medication because my cholesterol was so bad... among all my other blood work tests that I failed. After three months I was retested by the same Dr... my cholesterol was in the normal range, all my lipids and other blood tests were in the normal range, and my good cholesterol had improved drastically as well.

You feel 1000 times better when you're "eating clean" as they call it... like I said I lost 49 pounds... My skin improved... My neighbor actually commented that it looked like I'd been drinking from the fountain of youth.

I don't follow every rule hundred percent of the time... I noticed one guys comment said that we would never eat 100% like our ancestors did... But those are not the rules to do the diet... Delete sugar wheat grains corn legumes from your diet . . . These are the things that will cause inflammation in your body. I EAT dairy occasionally but the main things that I eat CONSIST of good meats and oils, fresh vegetables, occasional fruits, and nuts & seeds.

thewhole30.com

The healthiest and longest living populations eat most of those things as staple of their diets
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    i do a modified version of paleo but it's leaning more towards the paleo side of things. i don't eat grains at all, no processed anything but i need me a bit of sugar in my coffee. not much but some. other than that, the paleo way of eating isn't that restrictive but takes a lot of prep work.

finding alternative to grains was difficult at first but i'm good now.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Keto would probably be the better path for you. I'm part of a keto group on reddit for women and most of those who are on it for PCOS have seen great results, not only for weight loss, but hormonal balance as well. It's less restrictive than paleo IMO.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    It was rated the worst fad diet of 2014.

I say go for it!
  • ThisOrderedLife
    ThisOrderedLife Posts: 24 Member
    Try JERF... (just eat real foods)... so none of that processed crap with chemicals and preservatives...

Oh yeah that is basically what paleo has become anyways
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm considering the paleo diet. Has anyone tried? What's your thought s?

yes, a while back I did a three month experiment with it-
    1. developed stomach issues
    2. bad gas
    3. horrible bad breath (like people were commenting on it)
    4. grocery bill doubled
    5. did not lose weight
    6. did not notice any positive affects from it at all

Yeah, was not a good fit for me :*
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015

thewhole30.com

Thing is-I tried it and nothing magical happened, except I developed several bad side effects. I went on to do CICO, along with IF, and I not only lost almost 60lbs but my blood panels also improved across the board, including getting my glucose number out of the pre-diabetic range and back into the normal range. Cholesterol levels are amazing, blood pressure is amazing etc etc. And this happened while I was still eating all the foods I liked and not arbitrarily cutting anything out.

If someone truly enjoys eating that way, then sure go for it. But, I lost the weight, improved my health (glucose number has been stabilized for two years now), and I'm successfully maintaining-all while eating what I like and not cutting out any food groups :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Agree that some level of carb restriction is probably a good idea with PCOS. It does vary from woman to woman, some have no issues, others like me need to go with a moderate intake (I'm around 100g a day), others need to go lower. If you don't need to go all the way to a low, low carb diet it's a lot easier, simply because you don't need to completely restrict any foods.

I think I'm probably through the insulin resistance stuff now (back in the healthy BMI range), but my mod carbs quite suit me so I'm sticking with it.