Plank challenge

Options

Replies

• heidim44444
    heidim44444 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Jen, I am glad you are feeling better about it. The sides are so hard. I haven't had a chance to do my workout for the day, but hope to get it done later tonight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Glad it's helping Jen! And don't worry, the sides will get easier. Part of the reason they are trickier though is that your centre of gravity is much narrower. You can try putting the toe of your top foot on the ground just in front to help stabilise.

I've managed to have two unscheduled rest days. About to get into it as soon as my yoghurt has settled in my tummy a bit (that's my other pro tip - do NOT try and do core work just after eating, give it at least an hour, preferably two if it was more than something light).
  • heidim44444
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about trying to get a bit more stability on the side planks by moving your foot over a touch. I am going to try that.

Today is my day 14. Time to test how long I can make it. Originally, 43 seconds, week 1, 60 seconds, week 2: 75 seconds! So I am still improving and am happy about it!

If any new folks stop in this thread, feel free to begin the challenge at any time. You don't need to be at the same point as those of us who have already started.
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    day 15: today was hard, and i feel like i'm started to reach my personal level of fitness (not very much!). my side planks are still very tricky, but i have noticed an improvement, but the exercises are starting to get much harder for me.
    i'm not good at pushing myself past my comfort levels (i like to do things, and feel i've done well), so this is a personal challenge for me, but i'm feeling good about trying to move things forward even though i might not be an expert at them.
  • webrat_jen
    Options
    Also, is anyone else getting sore elbows where the plank is supported on your upper half? mine are a little red and dry, and needing extra moisturiser. any tips to avoid looking like a five-year-old with scuffed elbows?
  • missnamorley
    missnamorley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a 30 day plank challenge which I found on Instagram. I'm on day 5. I've combined it with 30 day squat challenge which is a killer!! Xx
  • heidim44444
    Options
    webrat_jen wrote: »
    Also, is anyone else getting sore elbows where the plank is supported on your upper half? mine are a little red and dry, and needing extra moisturiser. any tips to avoid looking like a five-year-old with scuffed elbows?

No, but I am doing my planks on cushy carpet. Maybe you can use a yoga mat or a towel or something to cushion your elbows?
  • heidim44444
    Options
    I'm also doing a 30 day plank challenge which I found on Instagram. I'm on day 5. I've combined it with 30 day squat challenge which is a killer!! Xx

The squat challenge sounds interesting too. I know that I would really need to work on my form for that! Do you have a link?...........

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    webrat_jen wrote: »

I do mine on my yoga mat, which is on top of a plush Turkish rug, so totes comfort :D. Try shifting your weight forward a bit so your weight is more fully on your forearms (note, this also works your core more ;) ).

I am days behind b/c I tweaked something in my back the other day :\. All fine now, so I'm going to double up and do days 9 and 10 together, and skip the day 11 rest day tomorrow since I've just had two. Or at least that's the plan...
  • heidim44444
    Options
    Nony_Mouse, I hope your back feels better soon.

Also wanted to note that as the workouts are getting longer, with two exercises each day instead of one, I am also having to move my time down toward the minimum of the range. It seems a little disappointing, but I am not going to worry about it too much. Especially since I did not even know what a plank was until a couple months ago.
  • webrat_jen
    Options
    The walking plank exercise was much less scary that i thought it was going to be! i had visions of my arms giving out and face-planting into the floor, but it was actually not too bad. i also like how the 'walking' bit gives me something else to concentrate on during the plank.
  • nab514
    nab514 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm planning to start the challenge next week. What's the difference between a walking plank and an alternating hand plank? The pictures look the same. Thanks!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Late to the party, started today.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    nab514 wrote: »
    Hi I'm planning to start the challenge next week. What's the difference between a walking plank and an alternating hand plank? The pictures look the same. Thanks!

@nab514 this link explains how to do the different types: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-to-plank-the-right-way-plus-4-plank-variations/

@AlciaMode - hi!!

Also, this vid is not only handy for showing how each form is done, but also illustrates how planks are often done in my house :p

On to day 12 today, should be okay since I doubled up days 9 and 10 (though struggled, I think because I was hungry).

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh and anyone interested in giving yoga a go, this is the challenge I started out with in January (currently repeating cos I'd gotten slack about practicing every day).

• Shokei
    Shokei Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Doing a 30 day Squat and Plank challenge now. On Day 16 and loving it. Do you yoga today?
  • bjmotti
    bjmotti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to start! How many reps should i do to see results? I can do 10 sec right now which is pretty low! Ive lost 25lbs ! Current weight is 241! Any suggestions
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    @shokei, yep I will be doing yoga today :)

@bjmotti, just follow this chart: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-30-day-plank-challenge/. Day One is a time test, but you could skip that if you wanted and just get straight into it. Day 2 is 3 reps of 10-30 seconds. It builds from there.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I'm doing this too, tomorrow is my day 7 time test. My original test time was 63 secs for a forearm plank, 73 for extended arm, but most of my yoga practices have planks in them so I'm not a complete beginner. When I first started doing yoga back in January I collapsed in a heap first time I tried a side plank :p.

Hi. I'm majorly distracted as I'm reading this thread, but I think I'm interested in doing this. I have a feeling my core could use some powering up, because I can't do a good push up to save my life and wall squats have me shaking in about 3 seconds =/. I do other bootcamp styled stuff, like burpees or jump squats, just fine though, so I think I lack core strength.

So... these plank days you all talk about.... are they part of a program? Could you point me in that program's direction? I did a quick re scroll through the thread and didn't find it. Please don't make me google right now, lol.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    @sophiaserrao, I posted the link in the reply above your post :)