legs/butt exercises with arthritis?

Options
so, i'm 28 years old, but i have advanced degenerative arthritis in my knees. it sucks, i hate it, but i deal. i get cortisone injections twice a year but i'm trying to not depend on them.

anyway, while trying to find exercises, i can't seem to find many workouts that don't involve squats (i miss them so much), lunges, etc that put a significant strain on the knees. i want to be able to work my thighs and butt, however i don't want to advance the whole "hey beck, you need a knee replacement at the age of 35" thing that my orthopedist is telling me.

i'm fairly active. i use my elliptical, i walk, i (attempt to) run despite the crunching in my knees. i do weights at home and aerobics. but my thighs are still huge and my butt is still non-existent. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    Hey! I just got diagnosed with OA in my knees. Probably had it for at least 13-15 years but its gotten really bad since I've become so much more active here wile trying to lose weight. I had a terrible flare up about a month ago from doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution (tons of squats and lunges) but im still trying to stay active without hurting myself. My PT guy gave me a theraband to use to do bridges and clamshells with. Maybe thats what you need? I've done the JMBR a few times but substituted PT exercises for all the squats and lunges and motified the cardio moves to low impact. More marching, less jumping. Maybe that will help you?
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics. Supports your weight, provides resistance, the water cools the inflamed joints.

And if you can, see a qualified physio and get ideas for SAFE exercise. Because the usual advice about squats and lunges being great don't mean Jack when you've got inflammatory arthritis. Plus there are other meds than steroids - talk to your rheumatologist because steroids, great though they are in the short term, have long term effects that could cause as any problems as they surpress.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You can also work off of a balance ball. Also swimming if there is a Y available for you. Full leg lifts from laying on your back. I've arthritic knees from old sports injuries and cycling helps me tremendously. I cycle on flat bike paths in a low gear. Just confirm with your orthopedist or pt best options for you.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    my knees crunch like breakfast cereal, but since I've lost weight the pain has (mostly) gone. I find zumba a great work-out which shapes leggs and but without all the squats and lunges, BUT there are a lot of twists and swivels which might be tricky for you - you need to make sure your shoes are not too grippy or you can "stick". Having said that there's a woman in my class who uses knee supports to help support her knees and she's keeping up with everything thrown at her!
  • Genetic_tea_drinker
    Options
    If you go to your local gym, there is usually someone who is trained to help people who suffer from problems such as arthritis, and they can usually help tailor a work out schedule for you which will be low impact on your joints
  • beckiern1
    beckiern1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I've been seriously considering joining the local aquatic center to do water aerobics.

I've already lost 68 pounds, and my arthritis has gotten worse, so I know that losing these last 20 pounds isn't going to help much. I do see a doctor regularly, an orthopedist, as this is not rheumo related. I've been referred to a PT, but I'm holding off on it as it costs a significant amount of money despite having awesome insurance and my husband just had PT for the knees and hips a few months ago, so I can just use his exercises.

I did discover some exercises that can be done laying down or against a wall, therefore putting less stress on the knees.

thanks again for your help!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis and fast walking and many standing exercises have created so much problems. Lots of modifications in terms of exercise and absolutely don't do Jillian and or DVDs with jumping, squatting, lunges etc. you will make it worst.. Recently had surgery but will be starting reformer pilates and I do barre exercise,http://www.thedaileymethod.com with modifications and works your butt and legs which is the area that I am most concern. For me absolutely not standing exercises, I learn the hard way. Swimming, I like only to show my bikini body but I don't jump on the pool due to avoiding messing my hair with chlorine.

Good luck. I mainly focus on diet alone, you will be successful!!