running outside and pace help

Options
acarmon55
acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been running on the treadmill since December and I have been using the C25K app. I am on week 8 and I run at 6 mph and 2% incline. Last time I ran on the treadmill I felt so tired and was super sweaty when I finished. I decided today that I would try to run outside. Based on my phone I ran 5.2 on mile 1 (included the 5 minute warm up walk) 5.8 on mile 2, 5.8 on mile 3 and then cool down. I was not as tired or as sweaty. Total 3.33 in 40 minutes. Did I pace myself too much? Should I have pushed it harder? I had some pretty good hills in the run and wanted to make sure that I completed it, but wonder if I should push harder next time. What do you think?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You should always aim to improve.
  • Romeodelta001
    Romeodelta001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you wonder then maybe yes; Prefontaine said less than your best is a waste of the gift. However, if you want to pace and don't want to be on the treadmill, then know your markers and wear a watch. However, go off how you feel- stay awake and aware of your body during your run. If your music is too distracting, ditch it for one run (gasp!). Better yet: if you can, get a heart rate monitor and learn how to use that. Fitness ain't 'one size fits all'. Just my $.02.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    acarmon55 wrote: »
    I have been running on the treadmill since December and I have been using the C25K app. I am on week 8 and I run at 6 mph and 2% incline. Last time I ran on the treadmill I felt so tired and was super sweaty when I finished. I decided today that I would try to run outside. Based on my phone I ran 5.2 on mile 1 (included the 5 minute warm up walk) 5.8 on mile 2, 5.8 on mile 3 and then cool down. I was not as tired or as sweaty. Total 3.33 in 40 minutes. Did I pace myself too much? Should I have pushed it harder? I had some pretty good hills in the run and wanted to make sure that I completed it, but wonder if I should push harder next time. What do you think?

I think for your first outside run, you did the right thing. Now you know that you can push yourself harder next time.

And realize that sweat isn't always the best indicator of a good workout.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    acarmon55 wrote: »

I'm an avid runner, and running on a treadmill takes a whole lot more energy for me instead of running outside. To me, it sounds like you did just fine with your outside run. I suggest you pace yourself as you see fit and pay attention to how you feel. I'm always dripping with sweat after any run, but I'm rarely tired. In fact, I am usually exhilarated.

For your treadmill run, if you are that tired afterward, it sounds like you are overdoing it. You might want to alternate hills with flat runs.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me, pacing is dependent on what I'm trying to do in a run. Training for a race? Killing stress? Feeling strong or weak, or tired? I guess, just listen to your body and do what feels right. Also, I go by feel-can I talk but not sing? Cool, that's my zone. Some days that's an 8:30 mile, some days it's a 10:30. I don't like watch checking unless it's speed work.

I'm rarely pushing to be drenched in sweat during a run. I'm more for long, slow runs and distance building endurance is my game. Happy running to you in your zone! :)
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It really helps. I will do what feels right and get into my own zone. I don't run to race, but have found when I run it is my "me" time and I really enjoy it. Thanks again as I look forward to my next run!