Goodbye, dirty martinis...I'll miss you (sniff)...

Options
Well I had two dirty martinis last night, my drink of choice. Imagine my surprise when I entered it into my database and realized they are almost 200 calories each!

I'm sad to say goodbye because it is my favoritest drink EVER but I just don't have room in my diary for them. I'm wondering what makes them so high calorie?

Everyone always says drink vodka sodas or skinnygirl margaritas but the truth is that when I drink those I tend to have a four a night whereas with martinis I only have two. So maybe it works out the same..? Okay, now I'm just trying to justify it to myself...lol

:drinker:

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    depends what's in them but its usually in the liquor that is used to flavour them. Spirits can be up there in cals too. Martinis are generally sweet though so it's probably simple carbs making the cals high in yours.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help ya here but the only answer for me is not to drink at all. As a recovering addict, one drink will lead me to two then to countless numbers and alot of trouble so.... and you did a great job with the justifying LOL!!! I would have to say vodka and grapefruit juice was always a good summer drink, but then again what wasn't??? Wish you much success on your journey!
  • Wannalose60
    Wannalose60 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to make you aware of what you are putting in your body.

Life is about living.

You have to strike the balance.

You can have your Dirty Martinis... by either eating less or exercising more.

I have found that substituting alcohol calories for food calories OFTEN... yields NO weight loss.
    BUT once or twice every 2 weeks seems to not interfere...

You have to find your body's balance/tolerance...

I Love my red wine... so I have it at my TOM...

See what works for you.

Caution: Drinking alcohol will deaden your resolve to stay on your food plan (ie. munchies)
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    it is so sad how many calories are in the best drinks! I've been using Baja Bob's drink mixes. They are ZERO calories, and I think they are AMAZING! My favorite is the mai tai. You have to order them online, but it is so worth it. I mix them with half club soda or sprite zero to stretch the mix to last longer! The only flavor that sucks is the hurricane mix ... awful. But you can't go wrong with such a good drink with only the calories from the vodka or rum. I know you can always use diet soda for that, but I just don't enjoy that. It's a boring drink, and makes me crave my old favorites!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    A dirty martini is basically all alcohol, whereas a vodka tonic is more like one shot and the rest tonic. Depends on you I guess, but I think it would probably even out in the end. As long as you don't drink often it won't hinder you...and you can plan for them and get to the gym!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    i totally agree that MFP is great for making you aware of what you are eating and it's certainly been eye-opening for me. But you are right, I still want to live my life and have fun once in a while. I don't drink that often (maybe every 2 or 3 weeks or so) so I think as long as I budget for it I'll be okay. Oh! And perhaps I'll order it without the olives...I think that was adding to the calories.

I also realized that champagne is only 85 calories a glass and I do love me some BUBBLES!

So there are options after all.

:)
  • KRob9
    KRob9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I, too, love the dirty martini! My friend and I actually made an Alcohol category on here to log in the calories. And usually, if I know there will be a social gathering of sorts, I try to work out extra hard through the week and the next few days following to help counter what was consumed. I figure, as long as I can maintain and not gain...then I can have my "fix" now and then, so to speak. (So, yesterday's open bar at my friend's wedding reception...yeah. My food log looks really lopsided!)

I tend to think of it as a trade off. MFP definitely makes you more aware of what you put in your body.
  • Wannalose60
    Wannalose60 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wine is the best "Bang" for your calories!

Champagne is a good one!

Don't tell anyone... but a BOTTLE of red wine is 510 calories.

BTW I created an ALCOHOL category too... too keep me honest and aware.

I agree with you... olives add calories... (but are so good when they are dirty!)

Keep up the great work!
  • CFaye
    CFaye Posts: 59
    Options
    @mansour I am so glad you mentioned the Baja Bob Mixes! I have been wanting a good margarita for 2 weeks!! Thanks ! I will be ordering these!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    all liquor is high in calories, thats why most people who drink and heavily gain alot of weight...trust me i know...before I got saved, I was a faithful alcoholic and gained so much weight just off of drinking alcohol......
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    http://www.shapefit.com/alcohol-calories.html is a very good website that tells you all about alcohol and drinks etc.....
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    one advantage to being underage..i dont have to worry about alchohol!! i do have a problem with the virgin drink mixes though...i drink them like lemonade! (i love margarita mix)
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    well......80 proof vodka is 64 cals and a martoooni would have prolly 2 shots thats 128+ just about 1/2 oz. or so of olive juice which would yield some sodium if you skip the olive & just add the juice you could do it now & then i would think! remember the fat in olives is good fat ie:mediteranian diet!! they are pretty healthy peoples! all things in moderation right?:drinker:
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Wine is the best "Bang" for your calories!

Champagne is a good one!

Don't tell anyone... but a BOTTLE of red wine is 510 calories.

BTW I created an ALCOHOL category too... too keep me honest and aware.

I agree with you... olives add calories... (but are so good when they are dirty!)

Keep up the great work!

Wine is the best!

I have "Snack 3" in my journal but I really should be honest and call it "Wine and/or Chocolate."

Even though they have alot of calories I would rather drink a dirty martini than a mixed drink laden with sugar or artificial sweeteners. You only have to run just under 2 miles to burn one off. :laugh:
  • melnedder
    melnedder Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tip about the baja bob mixes! Ordered a bunch to have for the summer. Enjoyed the mai tai one last night - delish! Doesn't have that creepy diet aftertaste.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Baja Bob's are good. I need to order some more. I have some Bacardi Bahama Mama that I'm trying to use up, it is 130cal for 4oz. So I mix it with Club Soda which is 0cal to stretch it. Same taste as long as you don't add too much club soda, but you get more drink.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    all liquor is high in calories, thats why most people who drink and heavily gain alot of weight...trust me i know...before I got saved, I was a faithful alcoholic and gained so much weight just off of drinking alcohol......

It's actually quite the opposite. Liquor and alcohol itself is not very high in calories. It's what is added... say flavored rum or flavored vodka, or drinks mixed with fruits or syrups or whatever.

The thing that most people don't realize and I've made it my mission to change that, is that you don't gain weight because of the CALORIES in the alcohol. You gain weight because your body stops burning fat once you have alcohol in your system. Your body will always burn alcohol first as a defense mechanism... and then it burns fat. So while you're drinking, your weight loss is literally postponed until all that alcohol is out of your system. So be careful.

Yes, champagne may be only 85 calories but it's very high in alcohol volume, so don't think just 'cause you have room in your diary.. that it will allow you to still lose weight.

I was drinking maybe one drink per week thinking that was enough of a limitation and I believe that contributed to my 2 months' of not losing weight. Now I only take a couple sips of my boyfriend's beer just to get my craving gone... I finally lost 1 lb and am hoping that by leaving the alcohol out completely, that I'll continue to lose weight.