Weighing food

Options
slaite1
slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
I often see people mentioning weighing in grams vs ounces. Is this simply bc grams are a smaller unit of measure? My scale is in ounces. It measures to the 1/10 of an ounce. Sometimes, for serving size purposes, I want "1.25" ounces, so I simply measure 1.2 and log as 1.25.

I know grams are a significantly smaller unit of measure, but do you think this makes a large difference? I can get a new scale, but allllllll my logs are already in oz. I've been on here for years. That's a lot of conversions :-(

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It's just so much easier to calculate your servings. Ate 10g and the serving size is 30g? .33 of a serving. At 220g with a 100g serving size, 2.2 servings.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    For me it just comes down to whatever the food was labelled in and the units used in the database. Foods with a standard serving listed in grams like cereal or frozen vegetables, I measure in grams. Meats tend to sold be in pounds/ounces here, and the database entries have servings in ounces, so I measure in ounces.

Either way I can use a simple multiplier for my actual serving size vs. the database serving. I never have to convert english to metric, and my scale switches easily between the systems. My scale's precision is to the 10th of an ounce in english, and whole grams.

That said, I really like it when there are database entries for foods based on 100g servings since I can just determine my serving multiplier in my head when making notes.

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    For me, grams vs. ounces doesn't make much of a difference. The biggest difference for me is measuring between grams and cups. 1 cup of noodles is volume not weight, but 100g is 100g regardless of the size of cup. Does that make sense?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I often see people mentioning weighing in grams vs ounces. Is this simply bc grams are a smaller unit of measure? My scale is in ounces. It measures to the 1/10 of an ounce. Sometimes, for serving size purposes, I want "1.25" ounces, so I simply measure 1.2 and log as 1.25.

I know grams are a significantly smaller unit of measure, but do you think this makes a large difference? I can get a new scale, but allllllll my logs are already in oz. I've been on here for years. That's a lot of conversions :-(

I think grams is more precise in that it's easier to log smaller portions or portions that are a little odd, but I will sometimes uses ounces. It's all just estimates anyway, and I think it's more important to make sure you have correct food entries than get the actual weight down to the gram.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for the replies. I do take the time to do the math for serving sizes etc. I like my little scale! I think when it does I'll make sure the next one has both ounces and grams. Thanks again
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My 28 times table sucks