Cable Ab Crunches?

Options
How much weight do you use? I know that's going to vary for everyone. What I'm mostly wondering is if you should go heavy or lighter with these. I tried them out the other day but I think I was doing it wrong. Like I felt it more in my biceps.

Thanks.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I do as much as I can physically do, it has to be that I can complete at least 8 reps. I, uh, this is embarrassing, only- 40 lb right now. :X It's the machine with the cable and the pulley, and you sit down and put on the chest strap and crunch your body down towards your legs....not completely sure we are talking about the same machine?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    I've seen some terrible form on this machine and I do wonder what it does to your back. Why not do exercises on the floor, or if that doesn't work on a gymball? If that gets too easy you can still hold weights in your hands.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "go heavy" camp, but I just started doing these so I completely suck at them. As heavy as you can do for 6-8 reps.

There's nothing wrong with doing more sets at less weight though, just different results in the end.

I'm not sure how it could've worked your biceps though. My harness hasn't come in the mail yet, so I just hook up a split rope (like for tricep pulldowns) to the machine, turn around and place it at the back of the neck and pull it tight and then start crunching. Your arms are sort of holding it in place, but they shouldn't be getting worked really.

Oh, and currently (I've literally only done this 4x) I'm at 60lbs. I tried more, but I didn't have the form down and it just wasn't working.

Last thing, I do these standing which is a bit trickier to get right. You can do them sitting or kneeling though as well.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    60lbs currently for 10 reps at 3 sets.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Also adjust the seat if you feel it anywhere other than your abs.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you use? I know that's going to vary for everyone. What I'm mostly wondering is if you should go heavy or lighter with these. I tried them out the other day but I think I was doing it wrong. Like I felt it more in my biceps.

Thanks.

What are your goals in doing this exercise? I assume it is to build muscle, so go as heavy as you can to keep good form for 8 - 12 reps.