swimming pool workouts

Options
misscaligreen
misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
hello. do any of you have a swimming pool workout routine that isn't just swimming laps? how long have you been doing pool workouts? what are the pros and cons in your opinion and with your experiences?

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Hi, I usually do at least one aqua aerobics class a week. It's great for building up fitness, stamina and flexibility without putting excess strain on your joints because the water bears your weight but the resistance of the water increases the effort you have to put in. It's also really good fun and very social. I used it as a springboard into other forms of activity that I'm now able to do but haven't cut it out of my schedule.
  • nik_nak_83
    nik_nak_83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One word for you....Swimfit!!! I can not tell you how great it is! Its basically circuit training in the water so not impact on sore joints. Lengths, resistance with floats, jumping out and doing squats or press ups or sit ups on the side of the pool. Look out for a session at your local pool. It would say you need to be a confident swimmer. Off for my Sunday dose of it shortly!

I do do standard lengths as well and am up to a mile in 46mins!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're after from your session. I'll do some continuous lap swimming using crawl, some mixing crawl with breast stroke or I'll do more technical sessions.

100 metres fast, 100 metres slow or skills and drills using kickboard, pull buoy and paddles.

The length of sessions vary, but anything from 60 to 90 minutes.

Warm up for ten minutes with steady paced work, then into the meat of the session after that.