Paleo diet vs plant based diet

Options
Garebearrr
Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
Id like to get people's opinions about what diet they feel best on or what success they've had using either the paleo or plant based diet specifically. I'd rather this not be a debate but just positive people's insight. I'm a healthy individual and know the basics of nutrition but thought it wouldn't hurt to expand my mind further :)
Cheers

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'll eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time o:)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You go with a diet that you can stick with that's the best one. I'm a Vegan (20 years plus) but that's for ethical reasons and more than just a 'diet' I just aim for a balanced diet without cutting things out I like. Restricting foods needlessly and in a way you can't do long term is pretty pointless and will end in failure. Also labelling a diet as paleo or muppet based such and such is another way of putting too many restrictions. Also to add 'Paleo' seems such a broad and woolly (not mammoth) term I'm not sure those on a Paleo diet know what one is and no that's not meant as a dig to those eating that way. I have just seen so many variations on the Paleo diet that seem to have no sense to them.

In reality the majority of people know what a healthy diet is. It has been told to us for years it's just that people want some 'Magic' diet that will make everything rainbows and Unicorns.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Non restrictive, non labelled, balanced dietary intake encompassing all foods and food groups.

Not trendy, probably doesn't have many tumblr blogs and instagram accounts run by 20 something selfie obsessives dedicated to it, but it works.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    gparfitt09 wrote: »
    Id like to get people's opinions about what diet they feel best on or what success they've had using either the paleo or plant based diet specifically. I'd rather this not be a debate but just positive people's insight. I'm a healthy individual and know the basics of nutrition but thought it wouldn't hurt to expand my mind further :)
    Cheers

Back in the day I tried both (experimented about three months with each). I had read books from the 'experts' on both sides and I was curious to see if what they were promoting was actually true. For me-

Paleo: side affects- digestion issues, bad gas, bad breath, went broke because my grocery costs more than doubled. No weight loss or any positive physical outcomes noted.

Vegetarian: side affects-lost my period and I started losing my hair. No weight loss or any positive physical outcomes noted.

So yeah, I was not impressed with either woe :/
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ultimately the best one is the one that works for you and that you can stick with.

I don't have a particular "diet" I'm doing. I'm just exercising, trying to eat healthier, and eat appropriate sized portions.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in following any one "diet". I eat loads of fresh vegetables and fruit, healthy fats and animal products from good sources. I eat for health, so loads of nutrient dense options.... But also some not so nutritious food, as I don't think "health" is all about what you put in your mouth. I don't associate food with good/bad labels, and avoid negative food associations.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like the food diet best. I eat things that are intended for human consumption. Sometimes people look at me funny when I turn down the basalt slabs and battery acid at parties, but I have so much energy and I never feel deprived!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like the one with the actual science backed proof that it works. No fancy names. Calories in calories out is working well for me so far. I like to call it eating mindfully. It does require a certain amount of thinking and planning on my part and I guess for some people that is a problem.

I have two friends doing Paleo.

One works out hard and is careful about choosing his meals and portions. He has lost a lot of weight and is looking great.

The other loudly advocates her "healthy new diet", goes out to eat frequently(read large portions), and while not at all sedentary she is not consistent in her exercise. I have seen her jump on a lot of diet fads and go up and down for years. So far she has never really been successful at losing weight.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to dairy. Paleo seemed so restrictive to me, in addition, I am not much of a meat eater.

However, I agree with reducing wheat flour products. I have seen overly fat vegetarians, who eat huge amounts of pasta and wheat products.

In looking at diets, there is always one fad diet after another. In the end, it is CICO. Bottom line.

1. Reduce animal products.
    2. Reduce processed foods.
    3. Increase veggies.
    4. Measure and weigh portion sizes and amounts.
    5. If you are "starving", drink a glass of water, and have some herb tea.
    6. Stop drinking alcohol.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I practiced a WFPB way of eating for years. I felt better when I added animal foods back into my diet and I've come to believe a well balanced omnivore diet is superior. I don't have experience with paleo in particular.

If you are interested in some well written, critical examinations of WFPB diets, I highly recommend Denise Minger's China Study and Forks over Knifes articles at http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat a diet that is well balanced and rich in whole food nutrition to include lots of veg and some fruit, some whole grains, primarily lean sourced protein, and fats from things like avocados, nuts, olives, and olive oil, etc. I also have pizza night every couple of weeks with my kids and eat desert most nights and enjoy craft beer, bourbon whiskey, and a good bottle of wine.

The key is to rock your nutrition and not overeat.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat keto, which is similar to paleo in some ways. It's the only WOE that has worked for me. My advice is to try whichever one you feel you can keep up and see what happens.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I eat keto, which is similar to paleo in some ways. It's the only WOE that has worked for me. My advice is to try whichever one you feel you can keep up and see what happens.

How is keto similar to paleo?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How is keto similar to paleo?

Both watch carbs and both encourage the eating of nuts. The only real differences I've seen is that paleo restricts dairy, and with keto, it's best to keep the net carbs to 20g.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    You go with a diet that you can stick with that's the best one. I'm a Vegan (20 years plus) but that's for ethical reasons and more than just a 'diet' I just aim for a balanced diet without cutting things out I like. Restricting foods needlessly and in a way you can't do long term is pretty pointless and will end in failure. Also labelling a diet as paleo or muppet based such and such is another way of putting too many restrictions. Also to add 'Paleo' seems such a broad and woolly (not mammoth) term I'm not sure those on a Paleo diet know what one is and no that's not meant as a dig to those eating that way. I have just seen so many variations on the Paleo diet that seem to have no sense to them.

In reality the majority of people know what a healthy diet is. It has been told to us for years it's just that people want some 'Magic' diet that will make everything rainbows and Unicorns.
    This 10000 times
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think that what the two diets have in common is very important - lots of fruits and vegetables and as little processed food as possible (considering that flour is processed). Although both diets will result in weight loss for many people, I tend toward thinking plant-based is a better approach because I know of no studies showing that paleo diets can result in clogged arteries opening again (not just better labs), whereas studies by Caldwell Esselstynn and Dean Ornish show those results (Ornish is not strictly plant-based though). If you really want to delve into the science that supports plant-based eating, I'd suggest PlantPositive.com. Personally, my high blood pressure normalized on a vegan diet, but went back up when i experimented with adding eggs. I did not lose much weight as a vegan, which is why I'm now counting calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Both Paleo and Plant Based diets have these same foods:

kale, spinach, collard greens, romaine, broccoli, peppers, onions, asparagus, carrots, tomatoes, apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, beets, almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconuts, olives.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Both Paleo and Plant Based diets have these same foods:

kale, spinach, collard greens, romaine, broccoli, peppers, onions, asparagus, carrots, tomatoes, apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, beets, almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconuts, olives.

So does my diet, though.