Cholesterol- grrrr!!!

DaniGold85
DaniGold85 Posts: 12 Member
I've just eaten 2 eggs on W/M toast, no butter & no oil used & already I've gone over on my cholesterol. I thought eggs were certified healthy cholesterol? I'm trying to lower my cholesterol you see so I'm a little worried. Do I ignore this reading & continue on eating eggs or are eggs the actual cause of my high cholesterol & do I cut them out of my diet? Any help will be appreciated :)x

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have to ask are you under doctor supervision and needing to watch cholesterol consumption for medical reasons?

Has a doctor recommended foods for you to avoid and have you done some research on this topic? I hate to comment or recommend something if there is a medical reason and doctor supervision involved.. And in this case surely a doctor would have give you a diet to follow.etc..

I found a lot on google.. I am not saying follow (it would not be proper for me to say eat this or do not eat this).. Do a simple search.. here is an example..

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/foods-to-avoid-for-high-cholesterol
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/cf/slideshows/10-foods-to-avoid-if-you-re-watching-your-cholesterol
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol
  • DaniGold85
    edited May 2015
    Gia07 - I have my bloods done every 6mths to check that my iron, cholesterol & Vit-D levels are where they should be, not because I have anything particularly wrong with me but simply because they are sometimes low plus I'm over weigh. I was told to keep an eye on my cholesterol but not given any information. I've been doing the SlimmingWorld diet & thought that style of eating would restrict any high cholesterol foods. In class I was told eggs are perfectly fine & they would not cause me a problem so why are showing up on my cholesterol bar on here if this is the case? :)x
  • DaniGold85
    edited May 2015
    I've just been in the above links you recommend - wow!! How ignorant I have been. At least 3 things on those lists I eat regularly. I'm seriously shocked how little I knew & how little help my Dr has been. Thank you Gio07. This really helped :)x
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    There has been a recent study that shows that dietary cholesterol does not impact our blood cholesterol levels as previously thought. http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/health/dietary-guidelines/
    Apparently, it's OK to have eggs occasionally because of their high protein and nutrient content. Focus should be more on eliminating processed foods with fat and sugar.
  • DaniGold85
    Rosebette - I don't know if you know the S/W diet but it takes you back to basics. Cooking from scratch, no oil, sugar or fat etc so my sugar & fat are low on here & my trans fats etc are zero. It's just my cholesterol! I will read your link in minute. It's so good to get a full & rounded opinion & all info is great in achieving that so thank you for your help. I will let you know what I though :)x
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    I've had high cholesterol all my life (genetics). It is excess saturated fat you need to avoid and cut down. Have eggs in moderation, it is fine.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    There are 2 types of cholesterol, also look at the value for your DHL and LOL ratio.

More info here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholesterol/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Exercise for heart health is good too.

I'm on SW at the moment. It is a high ish protein, low fat diet, which should show you good results in your blood cholesterol level. Feel free to friend me if you like, or ask any questions.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    Gah autocorrect!

HDL and LDL
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    DaniGold85 wrote: »
    Rosebette - I don't know if you know the S/W diet but it takes you back to basics. Cooking from scratch, no oil, sugar or fat etc so my sugar & fat are low on here & my trans fats etc are zero. It's just my cholesterol! I will read your link in minute. It's so good to get a full & rounded opinion & all info is great in achieving that so thank you for your help. I will let you know what I though :)x

You'll probably be OK in cholesterol, then. What is the S/W diet anyway?
  • DaniGold85
    Thank you all for your great advice
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    If your vitamin D levels are frequently low, it can cause your cholesterol #'s to go up.... at least that is what I've been told by my doctor
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    edited May 2015
    DaniGold85 wrote: »
    Gia07 - I have my bloods done every 6mths to check that my iron, cholesterol & Vit-D levels are where they should be, not because I have anything particularly wrong with me but simply because they are sometimes low plus I'm over weigh. I was told to keep an eye on my cholesterol but not given any information. I've been doing the SlimmingWorld diet & thought that style of eating would restrict any high cholesterol foods. In class I was told eggs are perfectly fine & they would not cause me a problem so why are showing up on my cholesterol bar on here if this is the case? :)x

Eggs are these days considered less evil than they used to, but still the recommendation is one average one a day. If you have an omelette with 2 eggs, I doubt this will be an issue, but if everyday you have your two eggs and already have cholesterol issues, this might be a problem
    But cholesterol from food is a very small part in managing your cholesterol. You need to follow a lifestyle that will help you control it: lose weight, exercise, avoid saturated fat, increase fiber etc.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Don't eat artificial trans fats. Lose any extra weight if you are over weight. Exercise. Your cholesterol will go down. Besides trans fats, dietary fats will not raise your cholesterol as others have stated.

Be aware that there could be a genetic factor. Your cholesterol could remain slightly high even when you're perfectly healthy and in shape otherwise.