Wine/ pepsi intolerence?

Hi sorry if this is a bit of a weird one. I have increasingly noticed that when I drink wine my cheeks, even after a tiny bit, become really really flushed and hot and have been meaning to go get intolerrence tested to look into it.
I am currently drinking a bottle of pepsi max and have noticed my cheeks doing the same and I feel really hot! does anyone know a link between the two/ have any suggestions re: this?

Replies

• marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    edited May 2015
    it could be a histamine intolerance, or it could be pre rosacea. either way it is a histamine response or a vascular response, or both. Both those things (alcohol and artificial sweetener) are known flushing triggers for rosacea. I flush from both those things, and it definitely has gotten worse over time, as in, the more you flush, the worse the rosacea gets. I would recommend going to the doctor if you continue to flush more over time, or find new things that cause a reaction. Do you also get really red in the face when you exercise?

I also wanted to throw in that there were a few studies done on people that flush when consuming even very small amounts of alcohol where it was found that they lack an enzyme that can process it properly, making it very toxic in the body. People that flush from alcohol seem to have a higher risk of developing stomach cancer if they continue to consume despite the symptoms. If you have this type of problem you will also find your pulse increases, and your nose and head will start to throb a bit. I find that if I am somewhere where I am expected to drink a sip of wine as a toast or something, that taking a zantac or acid blocker, or antihistamine beforehand will prevent the flushing, but it is not the best thing for your liver so I can't really endorse it.

If you google "asian flush" you can read the symptoms to see if they apply to you, but I am guessing since it happens with artificial sweetener, that it is probably rosacea. Does it feel a bit like sunburn? mine started with my cheeks, and now my nose and ears flush really bad.