Advice on my meal plan? :) Macros etc! Thank you in advance!

Options
Hi there :)

So today marks the 30 day until holiday mark (ahhhh :smiley: ) and I am in seriously poor shape so instead of moping around like I have been doing, I am taking action!!

My bf is currently in his "shredding" phase and eats LOTS of protein and good fats with minimal carbs and his bod is looking fantastic already!

So I thought maybe I should be following a similar diet? So this is what I will have eaten today:

1200 calories (max).
Breakfast - Protein shake
Post workout - Quest protein bar
Lunch - Tuna salad
Snack - 2 chicken goujons
Dinner - Chicken fajita mix (chicken, peppers, onions) with a tomato sauce and salad (no wraps)

Does this sound like a good food plan to you? I am trying to eat most of my calories in protein and good fats with veggies and minimal carbs but obviously still enough so that I can function and go to the gym!

I am doing this workout plan of mine too which incorporates sprint interval cardio (30 mins) with resistance training, 4 times a week.

Thank you :)

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I never understand these posts. Do you mean that you intend to eat that exact food every day? That's not a good idea; you need variety. Do you mean that's one isolated day of food? Sure, it looks like as good a day as any. Do you mean that this is a rough approximation of your target macros? Nobody but you can determine whether that's working for you.

I guess I never know what, exactly, people are asking when they post a one-day menu and ask about their "meal plan." A single day's food with no other context isn't a "meal plan" or a "diet," it's just a couple of isolated meals. Could you be a little more specific about what information you're asking for, here?
  • LittleMissFitness92
    LittleMissFitness92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I never understand these posts. Do you mean that you intend to eat that exact food every day? That's not a good idea; you need variety. Do you mean that's one isolated day of food? Sure, it looks like as good a day as any. Do you mean that this is a rough approximation of your target macros? Nobody but you can determine whether that's working for you.

I guess I never know what, exactly, people are asking when they post a one-day menu and ask about their "meal plan." A single day's food with no other context isn't a "meal plan" or a "diet," it's just a couple of isolated meals. Could you be a little more specific about what information you're asking for, here?

Hey there! Sorry, yes this is just one isolated days worth of food :)

I was just wanting to know whether people eat a similar array of food in regards to macros a day as me? And whether it is working for them? I am planning on eating protein shakes and bars in the morning and protein for both lunch and dinner too predominantly. Is this a good idea do you think?
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is harsh, you haven't mentioned your height & weight so nobody can tell you if 1200 is appropriate. My guess is that it isn't.

At a deficit you're better off eating whole food, shakes & protein bars aren't as filling as whole food and especially on such a harsh deficit you are going to be maddeningly hungry. Being hungry doesn't mean you're losing weight, it means you're hungry.

You don't give macro grammage. That's what matters. Where your macros come from is of lesser importance.
    You can eat carbs. Minimise refined carbs, but carbs are fine.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    avskk wrote: »

Hey there! Sorry, yes this is just one isolated days worth of food :)

I was just wanting to know whether people eat a similar array of food in regards to macros a day as me? And whether it is working for them? I am planning on eating protein shakes and bars in the morning and protein for both lunch and dinner too predominantly. Is this a good idea do you think?

In that case, I agree with what KingoftheLilies said above about replacing the shakes and bars with whole-food choices and re-evaluating your calorie goal. It's unlikely that 1200 is appropriate unless you're already quite short, slim, and middle-aged or older -- particularly since you're working out reasonably intensely. Would you mind sharing your height/weight/age stats?

Aside from all that, and dealing specifically with the macro question you asked: protein is very important and if you feel and perform best with very high protein, there's nothing wrong with it. However, I would suggest looking at the ratio of protein to fat to carbs in your diet and making sure there's an appropriate balance. Unless you're either very obese or lifting incredibly heavy weights for more than an hour per day, you probably only need 90-130g of protein each day, and there's a point at which piling on more isn't going to be particularly effective.