So, I'm a Proffesional Busker. Playing guitar and singing burns a lot of calories?

Options
Okay, so I'm not only just getting started. I started a couple of months ago at 120kg. I refuse to weigh myself until the jeans I used to wear a few years ago (when I was about 95kg) fit me well. I have been logging religiously! I'd estimate I've lost about 6 or 7kg so far. Maybe more. It's certainly I've noticeably lost it off my face.

I'm posting this here because I'm just so clueless about exercise etc. I'm getting the hang of making the food I eat a lifestyle change. No idea about the rest! I'm so clueless about exercise that until about five minutes ago I didn't even know to spell it!

I have one of the weirder professions in that I am a busker. I have - in the past - been happy to only go busking a few times a week just to make enough to just pay my rent and get by. I'm lazy! I love being my own boss and making a living doing something I enjoy. Don't want to do it forever but for now it's fun! Since I started on my healthy eating thing (1200 calories a day) I force myself out the door almost every day. I figure I'm keeping myself active while also making money - win win.

I walk over half hour a day carrying my heavy guitar case and dragging my amp and mic stand which I log as exercise. It gives me about 200 calories extra but I never eat them back. It didn't occur to me until today that singing and playing guitar burns calories. I sit down when I play so it always feels Iike laziness. Today I sang and played guitar for over 8 hours outside a mall - it was exhausting! I did a search when I came home and found that it burns an insane amount of calories! According to various sites, singing in itself burns heaps. MFP doesn't have singing in it's options list but the guitar playing alone (while sitting) burns a staggering 240 an hour. All up it says - JUST BY PLAYING GUITAR - I burned 1920 today. That's not including singing, Or lugging my gear around. Or running with said gear to make my last bus home. That can't be right surely?

I've looked on other sites and most seem to say the same thing. Lots of energy is burned through just singing a few tunes.

It shouldn't really matter because I don't eat exercise calories back anyway but I'm curious about the accuracy because if it's right, that's unbelievable motivation for me!

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Set your activity level as lightly active, and see it as everyday movement...Just curious to know why you think 1200 calories is enough, cause it is probably not....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but if it was that effective then your weight should be racing down.
    Whilst its interesting, am off to gym at the moment, so will have to give s hsort answer.
    Its up to you, whether it does or it doesnt burn insane calories its a choice for you if you wnat to log them and look at the results.

I would look at it more as rasing your activity level to lightly active o active as that takes into account your daily job. The alternative way is log it as exercise, but either enter a smaller number or only eat a % back and then adjust based on results. Its all estimates anyway. The danger is you award yourself more than you are burning, then eat them.

You are more likely to lose weight now because you log and weigh your food so you know how much you eat and can ensure you are at deficit.

ps 1200 calories sounds way too low.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would say that is bull.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    And I'm a 5'4 girl (163cm), 132lb (9stone6) and I am eating 1200 calories right now. Just to make this weightloss go faster. For a guy, 1200 is too low, I also assume you are taller than I, seeing as most males are at least 5'5.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    And I'm a 5'4 girl (163cm), 132lb (9stone6) and I am eating 1200 calories right now. Just to make this weightloss go faster. For a guy, 1200 is too low, I also assume you are taller than I, seeing as most males are at least 5'5.

Profile says she's female.
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm female! I'm doing 1200 because that's what MFP used to suggest.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »

Sexist stereotyping in action!!!!
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I have no idea, but if it was that effective then your weight should be racing down.
    Whilst its interesting, am off to gym at the moment, so will have to give s hsort answer.
    Its up to you, whether it does or it doesnt burn insane calories its a choice for you if you wnat to log them and look at the results.

I would look at it more as rasing your activity level to lightly active o active as that takes into account your daily job. The alternative way is log it as exercise, but either enter a smaller number or only eat a % back and then adjust based on results. Its all estimates anyway. The danger is you award yourself more than you are burning, then eat them.

You are more likely to lose weight now because you log and weigh your food so you know how much you eat and can ensure you are at deficit.

ps 1200 calories sounds way too low.

Well, it's hard for me to tell how fast I'm losing it as I won't weigh myself. I know myself too well - if I don't like the number I see on the scale I'll lose motivation. I'd rather just think of this as a way of life and finally weigh myself when I start liking what I see in the mirror.

I would say - based on the looseness of some of my clothes and the fact that some people in my life have noticed a difference (without me telling them I'm trying to lose weight). However I'm really not going to even think of eating them back! That'd be crazy.

Also, I do go over the 1200 here and there. I sort of think of 1200-1500 as a good number.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ok if you cant weigh, then id be conservative. i would use other measures like the tape measure how you look etc.
    The importnat thing is to be at deficit. Calorie burns are always an estimate. Not sure why it would be motivaying for you unless you intend to do more?

As you arent eating them back then its a bit moot. The danger is eating calories you havent burned. Its all a bit imprecise for me. but good luck.

• DrunkInAGolfCart
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Ok if you cant weigh, then id be conservative. i would use other measures like the tape measure how you look etc.
    The importnat thing is to be at deficit. Calorie burns are always an estimate. Not sure why it would be motivaying for you unless you intend to do more?

I actually re-read that sentence before and wondered if I should clarify.

It's motivating for me because I've been so ashamed of the way I look in the past year that I've barely wanted to leave the house, let alone sing and play guitar in front of hundreds of strangers. I've tried to get myself out of that by forcing myself out of the house each day since going healthy. But now I know singing and guitar playing burns at least some calories it motivates me even more.

• hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options

What? How is it sexist or stereotyping. Her profile outright states that she said she's female.

• DrunkInAGolfCart
    Options

What? How is it sexist or stereotyping. Her profile outright states that she said she's female.

I think they probably meant that it's assumed I'm a dude because I'm a busker/guitarist. Also, on another forum it was always assumed I'm a guy just because of my username.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    What it's a busker?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I am a musician (double bass player), I gig and used to busk as well. My activity level is set to lightly active. I drag my double bass up and down the subway stairs and play three hour gigs, I'm not eating those calories back. That's my life.

You do not burn 240 calories an hour playing guitar, sorry.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    What it's a busker?

A person who performs on the streets/subways/park for tips.
  • AshFitness98
    AshFitness98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sitting down while singing:
    150 pound person burns about 100 calories per hour
    200 pound person burns about 140 calories per hour
    Standing while singing:
    150 pound person burns about 140 calories per hour
    200 pound person burns about 180 calories per hour

The hour it says does not count any breaks. It would be continuous singing while singing the proper way using the diaphragm. I don't know anything about calories with an instrument. Just remember that you didn't sing and play for 8 hours straight. You probably took some breaks and ate or took time to rest your voice.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    Sitting down while singing:
    150 pound person burns about 100 calories per hour
    200 pound person burns about 140 calories per hour
    Standing while singing:
    150 pound person burns about 140 calories per hour
    200 pound person burns about 180 calories per hour

The hour it says does not count any breaks. It would be continuous singing while singing the proper way using the diaphragm. I don't know anything about calories with an instrument. Just remember that you didn't sing and play for 8 hours straight. You probably took some breaks and ate or took time to rest your voice.

Also, OP, burns quoted for exercise frequently include the underlying calories you would be burning anyway, so you may need to subtract your hourly base rate (pre-exercise rate, which is probably something between 50 and 100 calories per hour) from these numbers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    My favorite busker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQglNYqNnUY

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png