Contrave

Options
I am on day 3 of taking Contrave. I have very high hopes. I've already tried Belviq which did not work at all, also tried qsymia which I only noticed it helping me somewhat during the day when I was busy at work but definitely not at night which is my problem time of day. I am only on day 3 but have had no side effects so far and hope I don't once I start ramping up on the dosage. I did notice I felt full on much less food than usual last night. I did still want to eat that ice cream drumstick late last night and unfortunately gave in to the urge but tonight I plan to fight the urge b/c I totally believe it has just become a habit. I haven't lost weight yet but feel like tomorrow I will weigh less, I hope. I've ordered the scale on downscale but probably won't receive until I've already started week 2. I think this will work for me and pray I don't end up with the bad side effects I've read about. I also take pristque & vyvanse so we'll see. Will post updates.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. If I'm understanding you right, you're taking 3 different weight loss drugs/supplements at once? After trying 2 others without success?

Why don't you just eat at a regular calorie deficit and save yourself some money?
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OP, I would recommend trying to reduce calories by eating a healthy, clean diet and adding some movement in. It's really the only way to healthy loss. It will also help you learn to make better choices without a medical mask from the drug.

I have tried qsymia myself for a month under a dr's supervision but it made my heart race which freaked me out, so I decided to go the natural route. I understand the lure of a quick fix, but doing this the natural way will be healthier all around.

Best of luck to you on your health journey!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the above posts. If you are finding it hard to control your eating, it might be helpful to discuss that with a therapist, rather than simply try to medicate yourself. I have lost 74 lbs now eating in a deficit and exercising so it can be done. I even eat chocolate every day (small, controlled doses means that I never feel an urge to binge), and just fit it into my calorie budget. You can do it! Be stubborn, and believe that you can do it, and you will. :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you want to lose 75 lbs. That's where I was when I started. Since then I've lost 40 lbs, without diet pills of any kind, just eating less and moving more.

If you have issues with controlling your eating, I agree with others that you should talk to someone about it, before you start taking more pills.
  • more6284
    more6284 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your comments. You are all right also. Maybe a therapist would be good. It's like the click in my brain that used to say "ok get your eating under control" is no longer there. The other 2 meds are for depression & ADD and have been taking them for quite a few years.
  • amberly006
    amberly006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    more6284 wrote: »
    Thanks to all for your comments. You are all right also. Maybe a therapist would be good. It's like the click in my brain that used to say "ok get your eating under control" is no longer there. The other 2 meds are for depression & ADD and have been taking them for quite a few years.

Hello. I am now on week 5 with Contrave. Feel free to message me anytime you would like. There aren't a lot of reviews out there on it due to it being so new. I agree with everyone with a reduced calorie diet. I have done that in the addition to the meds. We ALL know meds arent a miracle pill just a tool to assist. Great for everyone who has done it without meds but it's so easy for some to say what you should do. Only you know what's best for you, gets your motivated, and keeps you going.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Don't be impatient. You've only had 3 days so far.
    You didn't get fat overnight, you're not going to lose the weight overnight.

The only way to lose weight is to eat less than your body needs to run.
    Have you been doing that?

The pills aren't going to do it, though they can help control your hunger so you can learn to eat smaller portions
    of healthy foods. They won't be something you can use forever, or even for more than a few months.

And since the other drugs haven't worked, why do you think this new one will? Is it a different class of drug,
    having a different action? Have you started counseling? What changed?

If the new drug works, great. It's a tool to help you learn to eat correctly. Use it, but don't rely on it, don't give it
    any power. You're the one who will be controlling your eating, doing the exercise, and losing weight.

I used an appetite suppressant when I first started getting serious about losing weight & being healthy, and it was
    amazing. Suddently, I was NOT ravenous all the time. For someone who hasn't been there, there's no explaining it.
    I used it to learn to be satisfied eating less, and it reset my hunger to what my doctor tells me is a normal level.
    But I'm the one who ate healthy portions, I'm the one who sweated at the gym. The drug only made it easier.

51637601.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat at a deficit?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Holy cow. If I'm understanding you right, you're taking 3 different weight loss drugs/supplements at once? After trying 2 others without success?

Why don't you just eat at a regular calorie deficit and save yourself some money?

Wat?

OP, why would you do this to yourself? You don't need the pills. They won't teach you the good habits that you need to be successful in the long run. Just eat less calories than you burn.
  • more6284
    Options
    I'm only taking the pills to help me while I reduce my portion size. So far, they are helping me. I realize I can't take them for long and there is no miracle pill. My physician said that the meds I've tried work for some people & not for others. For me, this is what I need to do right now. Until about 2 yrs ago, I had run a few marathons, cycled the MS 150, & spent 4-5 days at the gym in various weight lifting classes, spin, etc. I was very active until I had to have a few surgeries. It was downhill from there and I did nothing to kick start myself. It is easy to say to cut back on portions, etc. but for whatever reason, this time for me, it is definitely not easy.
  • amberly006
    Options
    Contrave can actually be used for long term use due to its make up but who would want to have that as a lifetime thing. As a user of it, I can say I wouldn't. It's not cheap by any means. Don't beat yourself More6284. Give it a month to do what it's designed to do. You know the good habits that will need to go along with the med as an aid.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There may be some drug interactions between those three medications. In fact, the internet says that there are major interactions. (http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=3559-16891,2796-12488,1475-2533) Given that it's the internet, I wouldn't make health decisions based solely on that information, but I wouldn't ignore it either. Just to be on the safe side, call your pharmacy and ask them to check those three against each other. Sometimes doctors don't always verify drug interactions -- I had one doctor prescribe me a combination that causes seizures in the past because he wasn't paying enough attention -- but if you ask, a pharmacist will be willing/able to check.
  • more6284
    Options
    Will do. Thanks! I appreciate all feedback.
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cravings are not really anything to do with hunger most of the time so the diet pill wont stop you drinking coffee or wanting that tastey tastey drumstick.

Also, don't forget that thirst is often confused with hunger so make sure you are drinking enough.

You have to set yourself up to succeed. If you are keeping ice cream in your fridge and you KNOW you cannot resist, why do you keep it there? You are only setting yourself up to fail. Make a shopping list and a menu for the week and you will find that it is alot easier to make a good choice.

I have never used diet pills but you have to make sure to let them work and not override them with your head.
  • amberly006
    Options
    Merci, I agree with most of what you said except, "The diet pill wont stop you." While it doesn't stop you, it does make your craving disappear. Sometimes now the thought of food is repulsing. I agree with not having the temptations at your finger tips.
  • katrinamc2012
    katrinamc2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of contrave and it has helped with my cravings, but I am so nauseous, wondering if that's why it works, has anyone had the nausea and it went away?
  • ChickenLittle1121
    ChickenLittle1121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    amberly006 wrote: »
    Merci, I agree with most of what you said except, "The diet pill wont stop you." While it doesn't stop you, it does make your craving disappear. Sometimes now the thought of food is repulsing. I agree with not having the temptations at your finger tips.

That.....sounds unhealthy.... :/
  • doomah2014
    doomah2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that ppl don't seem to have a problem with OP taking medication for her depression and ADD, but pass judgement on using medication to help with diet struggles. Honestly, our food problems can be just as life consuming and destructive as other mental health issues. I know I am projecting my own inner struggle before I started taking medication (Topiramate and bupropion for binge eating, if any one is wondering). The decision my Dr and I came to was that I had tried a lot of things for a lot of years and the weight and food were were effecting my life adversely and with my family history, it would most likely get much worse, so trying medication was an option. Also of note, medication is not a quick fix or something you take for just a little while. The right medication can just make it easier for you to follow through with your diet and exercise goals. You'll need to continue to eat right and be active to keep the weight off, and staying on the medication that helps you to do that will probably be necessary.
  • JKGoehring
    JKGoehring Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never realized the struggle with food until a few years ago when that became me. I realize that this concept could be difficult for those who don't have this problem to understand, which is fine. I, for instance, had a rough last few years dealing with the death of my mom and depression. That was a huge setback for me mentally and physically. While the motivation is there to just exercise and eat right, for some reason, some people cannot do that without some sort of push. To be honest, I hate the fact that I have found myself needing extrea help, but my goal is to use it until I re-form my good habits and self-discipline. Contrave has simply helped me with doing ther right thing....eating right and exercising. It's not a magoc pill at all, but it sure has allowed me to make some good changes, especially since it curbs my appetite so that I can get used to eating on a more regular schedule.
  • shenan32
    shenan32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm actually surprised at the amount of judgmental comments on this thread. I searched for Contrave discussions to read about others's experience with it. I'm on Day 3. I have already lost 1 pound and my cravings are almost completely gone. Regardless of WHY I'm taking it or what I should be doing INSTEAD of taking it....I'm still taking it and I will continue to do so until I feel that I shouldn't any longer or my Dr. suggests something different. It is my choice. I came here for encouragement. :(