How important are cheat meals or cheat days?

Options
1235»

Replies

• kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    to be honest, when i first started my journey again, i did zero cheats for 6 months because i knew that i needed to learn the discipline. also, i felt awful whenever i did and the guilt wasn't worth it. after those 6 months, i just never felt the craving anymore so those 6 months turned into 2 years...then i allowed myself 1 cheat a year and that's my favorite birthday dessert on my birthday. to be honest, if you don't want to have cheat meals, dont. if you know you have trouble not going overboard, then don't risk it. the food we eat are CHOICES we make and each comes with a consequence -- good or bad. good food choices make us feel proud and happy; bad choices make us feel guilty and awful. if feeling awesome is an option, why would you choose to feel bad?? that's the way i see food.
  • katieballenget
    katieballenget Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kpodaru wrote: »
    to be honest, when i first started my journey again, i did zero cheats for 6 months because i knew that i needed to learn the discipline. also, i felt awful whenever i did and the guilt wasn't worth it. after those 6 months, i just never felt the craving anymore so those 6 months turned into 2 years...then i allowed myself 1 cheat a year and that's my favorite birthday dessert on my birthday. to be honest, if you don't want to have cheat meals, dont. if you know you have trouble not going overboard, then don't risk it. the food we eat are CHOICES we make and each comes with a consequence -- good or bad. good food choices make us feel proud and happy; bad choices make us feel guilty and awful. if feeling awesome is an option, why would you choose to feel bad?? that's the way i see food.

I haven't wanted to "cheat" but was told it might help reset my system. I don't really know if it does or even what that means. I've had two cheat meals in the last 3 weeks. And really no desire for more. I'm just going to try to keep going with what I'm doing and I know eventually I will see more results! I agree with you completely about feeling awesome over bad. I definitely have more energy since this journey began. And it's only the beginning :)
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1753

I personally try to stay away from the "I was so good today..." or "I was so bad today..." when talking about food. Either I overate or I didn't regardless of the what I put in my mouth. I feel better physically when I eat healthier food but sometimes I feel better emotionally with some comfort food. I've also gotten away trying to exercise away a bad or gluttonous diet regimen. Used to be able to do it when I was younger but in my mid-40's, that doesn't work anymore. And I teach 6 classes a week at the gym!

I eat to my TDEE - a deficit when trying to lean out. If it fits in that range, I try not to call it "cheating".

I do realize for some people they need to cut out trigger goods all together but I'm one of those people that can just have 1 or 2 cookies or a small serving of ice cream and let it go so I'm lucky that way. Recognizing what makes up a portion is also key!
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I haven't wanted to "cheat" but was told it might help reset my system. I don't really know if it does or even what that means. I've had two cheat meals in the last 3 weeks. And really no desire for more. I'm just going to try to keep going with what I'm doing and I know eventually I will see more results! I agree with you completely about feeling awesome over bad. I definitely have more energy since this journey began. And it's only the beginning :)

i have never heard that a cheat meal will "reset" your system <--that sounds like something a chronic cheat-meal eater would say haha! :)
    some people do intermittent fasting to "reset" their system but i never knew how one could not eat for hours without passing out but i do what i know works: i switch up my workouts every 4-6wks. i was lifting for a long time and that sort of let me hit a plateau, then i started muay thai and that totally reshaped my body in ways i never imagined. now i lift, do muay thai, hike and i will be starting cycling soon as soon as i get my bike helmet.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference between having a day where you go hog wild and a day/s where you eat at maintenance, but that's just my thinking. In doing some recent reading on the National Weight Control Registry site for long term weight loss maintainers, one of the the abstracts there was on a study tracking behaviors for holidays and things like cheating.

Successful maintainers for the most part are consistent in their caloric intake.

While it's important for the weight loss process to have refeeds to avoid adaptive thermogenesis, how far you go with "cheating" is... well? That's the question.

It's not personally my business, nor am I going to judge anyone for doing this differently than I do. For me, I'm just going to stick to the idea of doing refeeds at maintenance.

Saying that? I still haven't done one yet. I have something like that planned for vacation coming up in about 6 weeks, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think there's a difference between having a day where you go hog wild and a day/s where you eat at maintenance, but that's just my thinking. In doing some recent reading on the National Weight Control Registry site for long term weight loss maintainers, one of the the abstracts there was on a study tracking behaviors for holidays and things like cheating.

This is how I feel too. Barring a rare special day like Thanksgiving (and I don't really like stuffing myself even then), my idea of a high day is doing maintenance or a day that can be easily fit into a week at maintenance (since I have been doing a diet break and maintaining). That's how my high days were when I was on low calories--maintenance or below. It gave me more flexibility, but didn't play into a desire to just go nuts.

I REALLY think that if you have binging issues (or even generally, since I don't) that both "go crazy" days and guilt/shame cycles should be avoided. What I mean by this is not seeing one day as a time to release from all the restrictions--if you felt that restricted it's something to think about. And, just as important and something that's worrying me a little with some of the more recent posts, NOT reacting to food with guilt or shame or "bad me," since that tends to lead to cycles of self hate and overeating and the like. Really I think trying to see it as just a goal and what you eat as either better or worse in meeting that goal, more logically and less about worth as a person, is better for people and actually helps more with control in the long run than beating yourself up can. Plus, why treat yourself in a way you wouldn't treat others.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Successful maintainers for the most part are consistent in their caloric intake.

While it's important for the weight loss process to have refeeds to avoid adaptive thermogenesis, how far you go with "cheating" is... well? That's the question.

It's not personally my business, nor am I going to judge anyone for doing this differently than I do. For me, I'm just going to stick to the idea of doing refeeds at maintenance.

Saying that? I still haven't done one yet. I have something like that planned for vacation coming up in about 6 weeks, though.

considering OP is already under eating …she could probably benefit from eating more calorie dense foods….

but yes, I agree that consistency is key.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kpodaru wrote: »

what they are saying is that if you have been chronically underrating and have plataeued due to adaptive thermogensis that you should eat at maintenance for a month to get your metabolism back to normal ….

OR

if you have been dieting for say six months straight with no day of eating at, or above matinee, that you should do a reefed day to help avoid getting into a situation where you stall out….

the longer you diet, your metabolism adapts to it and starts to slow down; however, this tends to take some time...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

considering OP is already under eating …she could probably benefit from eating more calorie dense foods….

but yes, I agree that consistency is key.

Yeah, I sort of lost sight of the OP there. She should be eating more on the regular.

• ndj1979
    Options
    OP - have you upped your calories to what MFP is giving you yet???? I believe that number was 1900???
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started at 292, and I've lost 110 lbs. In June, it'll be 2 years that I've been at this. During this time, I've learned slow and steady weight loss is the way to go. I have a better attitude towards food and portion control. I actually do like some protein shakes and bars- like I wouldn't mind eating or drinking them for the long-haul.

1) Start eating at least 1200 calories, you need to be able to sustain this for the long haul, not crash diet
    2) No food is good or bad, if you want that piece of chocolate, fit it in your daily goal (you can't just eat the whole bag)

The weight you've lost is mostly water and possibly muscle. You don't want to lose weight the extreme way. It's not good for your body. If vanity motivates you, losing it that fast will leave lots of excess skin. Losing slow will help with excess skin. If health motivates you, eating at least 1200 a day + some exercise calories will give you more energy and not leave you feeling down.

In the beginning I lost 8-9 lbs a month and for awhile I was able to do a 1200 calorie diet and exercise. As the months wore on, I started feeling run-down and tired. I changed my goal to 1.5 loss and started eating more. I felt loads better, I had more energy, and could push harder with workouts. As you get smaller, you'll need to reevaluate your goals. I'm at 0.5-1 lb loss (whichever I feel like doing) a week now. My loss is slower, but I feel good.

Weight loss is not linear, some weeks you won't see a loss, you might feel your clothes become more loose. My cheat days are more like events/holidays. So if someone is having a birthday, I pay attention, but I'm not as strict.

I second a couple other posters. Buy a food scale, weigh your food. Your relationship with food needs to change, the perspective is not healthy. I started to look at a piece of chocolate and think- geez I can eat that tiny bit of food for 100 calories or I can have an egg with a sprinkling of cheese/salsa. Which one will make me feel satiated?
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for all your input! I have a lot of weight to lose and do not want to do it the wrong way. Like I said, I eat when I'm hungry. I guess the excitement of losing so much got to me. I will definitely aim for my target calorie intake. I just need to be patient with my body. Like some of you have said, I didn't gain it all in one night, I won't lose it that way either. Thanks again!

OP - here are my thoughts if you want to do it the right way:

1. get a food scale and weigh all solids
    2. eat to the number that mfp gives you. So in your case make sure you net 1900
    3. ditch the shakeology and have real food for breakfast.
    4. realize that no food is "bad" and it is OK to incorporate bread, pasta, ice cream, etc, into your daily diet
    5. make sure that you are eating nutrient dense foods like chicken, vegetables, fish, rice, fruit, etc.
    6. this is not necessary, but I would suggest finding a form of exercise that you enjoy - walking, strength training, etc, and do something where you are moving around
    7. repeat until you get desired results

good luck

I find 3. and 4. to be in conflict with one another. If OP's down with the free shakes, power to her. I meal replace with protein shakes several times a week, totally sustainable (and tasty, I look forward to them). I don't know what the Shakeology are like, but if there are no bad foods and OP likes them, shake on...

I subscribe to the overall message of this post though.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Before MFP, I was BIG on cheat meals. I would eat WHATEVER I wanted and never counted it (I was on WW before). After doing some searching and looking back over my weight loss history......I stopped "cheating" and started counting. I still have a decent super yummy meal about once a week, and I generally let myself have whatever I want, but I work it into my calories and still count it. The reason I do, is because when I see what that meal is really costing me, I usually eat a little less or change a few ingredients to bring the calories down in the recipe. This has worked really well for me because now I still feel in control, but I still get that indulgence once a week.

Also, I have been there and done that with the cutting out of sugar, pasta, bread, etc. And after starting and crashing, starting and crashing and starting and crashing again, I finally realized it is just not necessary unless there is a medical reason. I am still losing steadily and I eat white bread, white pasta and sugar. The more restrictions you place on your diet, the harder it is going to be to stick with it for the long haul.
  • katieballenget
    Options
    OP - have you upped your calories to what MFP is giving you yet???? I believe that number was 1900???

I reevaluated my MFP and now it's telling me to eat 1530. Since that change, I've definitely gotten at least 1200, but closer to my new goal! Thanks for checking in on me!
  • katieballenget
    Options
    I'm just going to say this. I am currently happy with my diet. I LOVE the shakeology meal replacement shakes. I have tried others from walmart and I'm not going to force myself to eat something I don't like or have to hold my nose while drinking just because it's cheaper. So if I spend some money on a meal replacement shake, that I would've spent on fast food crap anyways, then that's ok with me.

I am now making sure I get the calories in I need. So that's a plus. My clothes are very loose and that's good too. Lol.

I do very much appreciate everyone's input, however, I do have some suggestions for some of you. Try not to be so hateful when trying to teach things. Encouragement goes a long way. My journey and lifestyle change are just that. Mine. And it's working for me. Let's all try to be encouragers instead of bashers.

Peace and love to all!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

I plan cheat days all the time in my mind but I have never followed through. Too afraid of gaining back what I have worked hard to lose.