TDEE Calculators

Options
VelveteenBunnyFooFoo
VelveteenBunnyFooFoo Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
There seem to be several calculators online and the TDEE results I've gotten vary by as much as 400 calories, which is pretty confusing.

I had allowed MFP to set my calories, while eating back a portion of my exercise calories, but I find that I'd rather just have a set number that I do not exceed on a daily basis.

Is there a particular calculator y'all trust more than others?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use this one. http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
    It uses 6 different methods (3, if you don't know your body fat %) then gives you the average number.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I started out with the iifym calculator and then worked to find my true tdee through trial and error.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used my results on MFP to estimate my TDEE and then compared it to various calculators. It seemed to be between the estimates on iifym.com and Scooby, which gave me confidence, so I went with my estimate. I ended up losing a bit faster than intended (I ended up upping my exercise some) so increased it and was happy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Scooby
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    If you've been logging your food and exercise in mfp for a while... you already know your "real" tdee (or in any case a closer approximation to it than what any calculator can possibly give you).

Calculate average calories expended and eaten per mfp records.

If every 3500 calories of gain or deficit equals an lb, how closely does this correspond to your weight change during the same time period?

If you're more than 10%-15% off (while looking at a time period of at least a month or two), you may need to figure out why and adjust for it before proceeding with more changes.

Else... your average calories spent is your TDEE.

**since muscle is, at a guess, closer to 1000Cal than 3500 when catabolized, if you were not obese, nor quite overweight, and if you cut at a rate higher than 1% per week, your average deficit per lb lost could legitimately range between 2000 and 3000 Cal per lb. Similarly if a few lbs disappeared due to water weight, I might be tempted to exclude an initial "water weight week", or two, from the calculation...