TOTM starting anyday... And

Options
2»

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Every time I go into my period without gaining, I whoosh at least two pounds at the end. But it is much more common for the scale to be up. I generally stop weighing myself a week beforehand and resume on the last day.

But if you weigh every day, you're going to notice the fluctuations for all of the reasons mentioned above. I did that for the first several months of my weight loss and it actually kept me sane-it is easy to become disheartened when you only see one day a week!
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My scale usually stays around the same number for like a week before up until the day my period starts, then my weight will usually drop by quite a lot. Everyones bodies react differently! I don't mind my "stalls" since I know what causes them and I know the weight will drop eventually.
  • tjcalley
    tjcalley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ive been tracking my weight daily and I noticed 7 days before my period the scale goes up 5lbs. Then about 2 daya before it starts slowly dropping back to the pre weight and then whatever else I have "lost" if I lose for that week. I also noticed a slight gain around ovulation.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Devastated is a strong word...It's just the nature of hormones. Someone women experience weight gain, some don't. I find that if I FEEL heavy, the scale will say so too. So I just stay off of it. Until I feel normal again.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Unless you're overeating, it's just water weight and will come off in the week following your period.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I've actually found it to be very helpful. If I keep my sodium intake moderate, I'll see a 1-2 lb increase in my weight which will hold steady for 4-5 days - right up till my period starts. So I can kinda use the upward fluctuation as an indicator that, yep, monthly visitor is definitely right around the corner.

Up to you what you wanna do, though! If you feel that seeing the higher number will adversely affect you, then stay off that scale!

~Lyssa
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily too. Maybe a little neurotic, but I am a person who can be kind of a stats nerd, so it actually helped me learn to not get too anxious over an unexpected gain, especially when I compare my results with my diary.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For me it can be up to a 2kg gain. I expect it and after 4 months of daily weighing I know if I stick to my deficit within 10-14 I'll hit a new low.

I weigh daily. I use an app called happy scale. You put your weight in daily and it calculates the weightloss trend, online a page called trend weight can do this too. These might help you see your weightloss trend over time rather than having to stress about the daily fluctuations if you continue to daily weigh.

Otherwise monthly or weekly weighing might be a better solution for you if fluctuations continue to cause anxiety
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself the week of my period - I'm generally about 2lbs heavier around then.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of my journey I would stay the same during my TOM, but now I lose weight during my TOM. Some people gain, some stay the same, some apparently can lose, it's nothing to worry about though as it's just a temporary gain if there is one.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I gain around TOTM and ovulation as well. Goes away within a few days.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I gain during my TOTM and sometimes I lose. The scale goes up and down randomly for me. It used to freak me out at first, but I'm learning to roll with it. I know that later down the road I WILL lose fat for sure as long as I'm consistently earing at a healthy deficit. Don't be alarmed when you see the numbers on the scale fluctuate. It's totally normal. And water weight gain is just temporary... thank goodness.