Consistency and motivation...

Options
In eight weeks I've lost four pounds. I'm not going to tell you that I do everything I should and I have no idea why I haven't lost more. I know exactly why: I can't seem to stay consistent. I plan for my food for the week, prepare ahead, take my food with me for the day when I'm working, etc etc. And then evening hits and I'm into the treats that my husband and kids have around. Weekends are the worst. I can get through a whole week and be down three pounds and then ruin it with overindulgence in two days!
My question is this: how do I stay consistent without giving up everything I love? I've been really strict in the past and then completely stopped after a few weeks because I miss eating "normally". I was trying for moderation this time, but I'm wondering if that works for me. Do you have to give up all the extras at all times to lose weight??

Replies

• cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi. I feel your frustration. You need to figure out how you want to eat I guess. I like chocolate and cookies so I try hard to eat them in moderation. I can't eat chips in moderation. Just can't. So I don't buy them. I still eat them but won't buy them.

You may nee to accept losing slowly. I low carbed two years ago. It did NOT melt off but it was faster than this time. I am losing about 3/4th of a lb each week. So slow but I need to eat like I want. Just a bit less.

It sounds like eating is part of your family bonding. Maybe balance it out with a family walk. Or bike ride. Make activity part of the ritual. You still get the treats but moving is part of the fun.

Good luck. You are still going down so hurrah!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I do feel your pain but I'll be blunt - if this is what you want, you have to just make a decision and do it.

You don't have to give everything up, it is possible to fit in some things you like, but it's like a bank account, you have to be able to afford it.

You have to come to accept the fact that you WON'T be able to eat "normally," as you call it, because that's what got you where you are now. You're going to have to change your entire mindset, but that doesn't mean you can't have ice cream or whatever every once in a while. You just have to fit it in.

Only you can do this. But you can do this.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kimmy27848 wrote: »
    Do you have to give up all the extras at all times to lose weight??

NO

Its your mindset and application.
    Ill go with the bank account analogy above.
    Being consistent is doing the same thing repeatedly. Focus on every 24hours and stick to your plan. What you need to do is have a straegy where you can cope with things that might throw you off track.

Whilst you can eat snacks, treats etc, its ok if you have factored it into your allowance. i can have chcolate and chips, ice cream every day if I want, but if I do then its factored in. You learn to moderate and be satisfied with less. I still remain at deficit. You are doing well, if you wnat to lose more then your deficit has to be bigger/ more consistent, which means commiting and saying no or just accept it will take a bit longer. Exercise creates more flexibility.
  • kimmy27848
    kimmy27848 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wise words from all, for sure.
    cj94404 wrote: »
    Hi. I feel your frustration. You need to figure out how you want to eat I guess. I like chocolate and cookies so I try hard to eat them in moderation. I can't eat chips in moderation. Just can't. So I don't buy them. I still eat them but won't buy them.

You may nee to accept losing slowly. I low carbed two years ago. It did NOT melt off but it was faster than this time. I am losing about 3/4th of a lb each week. So slow but I need to eat like I want. Just a bit less.

It sounds like eating is part of your family bonding. Maybe balance it out with a family walk. Or bike ride. Make activity part of the ritual. You still get the treats but moving is part of the fun.

Good luck. You are still going down so hurrah!

I never thought of food as family bonding, but I think that's true for us. Especially when we are watching movies in the evenings...

I like the idea of family walks. My husband and I are already doing that, not sure if I can get my teens to do that!

Meanwhile, I'm just working on upping the activity levels on my own... and I think I'll pick one of those things I can't control and cut it out.... might be baked goods. I'm terrible with them!
  • kimmy27848
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I do feel your pain but I'll be blunt - if this is what you want, you have to just make a decision and do it.

You don't have to give everything up, it is possible to fit in some things you like, but it's like a bank account, you have to be able to afford it.

You have to come to accept the fact that you WON'T be able to eat "normally," as you call it, because that's what got you where you are now. You're going to have to change your entire mindset, but that doesn't mean you can't have ice cream or whatever every once in a while. You just have to fit it in.

Only you can do this. But you can do this.

• kimmy27848
    Options
    Thanks for the butt kick, lol! You're right: it's totally up to me.

By eating "normally" I just mean eating whatever I cook for the family, which is usually healthy, but carb-heavy at times. I really get tired of cooking for them, and then something else for me.
  • Msbennett709
    Msbennett709 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hear you completely. I cook for my hubby and three kids three meals a day. I haven't changed anything with meals only alter mine. When the fam is eating bacon and egg and toast I just have two slices of turkey bacon and an egg. I'm used to having no toast now. When I make them fries or potatoes I just stir fry myself some veggies. I even had pizza for the fam and used the large sandwich size pepperoni and made myself dough free pizza on the pep slices. Or you could use a nice whole wheat pita for pizza topped with tons of peppers and mushrooms and chicken. You can still enjoy everything just altered. You like baked treats. Find a nice apple crumble for yourself . An apple sliced up sprinkled with cinnamon and oats and baked. You can eat popcorn while watching movies or tostitoes with salsa. Again just work around the treats but make sure to calculate them all in. You can do this. Again I'll say it's one day at a time. Get through today and then focus on to,orow when it comes. You don't have to give it up forever, just until you get to your goal weight. Then it's just maintaining which will get easier. Do this for you!!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 pounds in the last 3 months and it JUST showed on the scale a couple days ago. Plateauing occurs more often as you get closer to goal.
  • kimmy27848
    Options
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »
    I lost 3 pounds in the last 3 months and it JUST showed on the scale a couple days ago. Plateauing occurs more often as you get closer to goal.
    Thanks for the tip, but I'm only at the beginning of my "journey"! I only wish I was closer to my goal. Congrats to you if you are.
  • kimmy27848
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    kimmy27848 wrote: »
    Do you have to give up all the extras at all times to lose weight??

NO

Its your mindset and application.
    Ill go with the bank account analogy above.
    Being consistent is doing the same thing repeatedly. Focus on every 24hours and stick to your plan. What you need to do is have a straegy where you can cope with things that might throw you off track.

Whilst you can eat snacks, treats etc, its ok if you have factored it into your allowance. i can have chcolate and chips, ice cream every day if I want, but if I do then its factored in. You learn to moderate and be satisfied with less. I still remain at deficit. You are doing well, if you wnat to lose more then your deficit has to be bigger/ more consistent, which means commiting and saying no or just accept it will take a bit longer. Exercise creates more flexibility.

I really love your advice to focus on 24 hours at a time. That really works for me, breaks it down into smaller chunks.